Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 02 Sep 2014, 23:50

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

The worker s union of GrainCorp., a grain processing plant,

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
1 KUDOS received
VP
VP
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 67 [1] , given: 0

GMAT Tests User
The worker s union of GrainCorp., a grain processing plant, [#permalink] New post 17 Aug 2007, 13:04
This post received
KUDOS
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

84% (02:15) correct 16% (01:58) wrong based on 120 sessions
The worker’s union of GrainCorp., a grain processing plant, is attempting to obtain a pay raise from GrainCorp. management. To pressure GrainCorp. management into accepting the union’s proposal, the president of the union has proposed a boycott against SquareMart food stores, which are owned by Megafood, the parent company of GrainCorp.

The answer to which of the following questions is LEAST directly relevant to the union president’s consideration of whether a boycott of SquareMart will lead to acceptance of their pay rate proposal?

A.Would the loss of business at SquareMart stores materially affect MegaFood?

B.Are the staple food products purchased by consumers at SquareMart stores readily available at other stores not owned by MegaFood?

C.How many SquareMart are within the region of the GrainCorp plant?

D.Have other unions successfully employed the same strategy?

E.Is MegaFood the only corporation that operates both grain-processing plants and food stores?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 17 Aug 2007, 13:17
This is E for me. Though C sounds a likely candidate but I feel E is worse
Director
Director
Schools: University of Chicago, Wharton School
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 44 [0], given: 7

GMAT Tests User
Re: kaplan premier CR [#permalink] New post 17 Aug 2007, 14:07
Ravshonbek wrote:
The worker’s union of GrainCorp., a grain processing plant, is attempting to obtain a pay raise from GrainCorp. management. To pressure GrainCorp. management into accepting the union’s proposal, the president of the union has proposed a boycott against SquareMart food stores, which are owned by Megafood, the parent company of GrainCorp.

The answer to which of the following questions is LEAST directly relevant to the union president’s consideration of whether a boycott of SquareMart will lead to acceptance of their pay rate proposal?

A.Would the loss of business at SquareMart stores materially affect MegaFood?

B.Are the staple food products purchased by consumers at SquareMart stores readily available at other stores not owned by MegaFood?

C.How many SquareMart are within the region of the GrainCorp plant?

E.Is MegaFood the only corporation that operates both grain-processing plants and food stores?

I guess C.
1 KUDOS received
Director
Director
Followers: 12

Kudos [?]: 197 [1] , given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 17 Aug 2007, 19:43
This post received
KUDOS
Straight E here guys.

C is totally relevant. Since it is a workers union of a grain processing plant all the members of the union will be located around the plant they work at. If the union is planning a boycott the number of stores around them is definitely a factor. If all the plants are 300 miles away then a boycott of a store nowhere near them will have no effect.

E on the other hand is totally useless. Why does it matter if other corporations run the same sort of operation? They're focused on Grain Corp here.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 17 Aug 2007, 20:23
I'll go for E. Others clearly affect boycott....
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 17 Aug 2007, 21:41
Straight E
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 18

Re: The worker s union of GrainCorp., a grain processing plant, [#permalink] New post 01 Nov 2012, 02:08
The OA is E. somebody can help me explain why?
Intern
Intern
WE: Marketing (Retail)

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 0

Re: [#permalink] New post 27 May 2013, 22:15
eschn3am wrote:
Straight E here guys.

C is totally relevant. Since it is a workers union of a grain processing plant all the members of the union will be located around the plant they work at. If the union is planning a boycott the number of stores around them is definitely a factor. If all the plants are 300 miles away then a boycott of a store nowhere near them will have no effect.

E on the other hand is totally useless. Why does it matter if other corporations run the same sort of operation? They're focused on Grain Corp here.

I am a bit confused with B, it talks about consumers of the stores how are they in any case relevant to the workers union boycotting the swauremart stores. Is B not irrelevant as it talks about a diff set of people than workers union.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: General Management, Entrepreneurship
Schools: Oxford
GPA: 3.54
WE: Project Management (Retail Banking)

Kudos [?]: 99 [0], given: 85

Re: Re: [#permalink] New post 28 May 2013, 03:01
deepri0812 wrote:
eschn3am wrote:
Straight E here guys.

I am a bit confused with B, it talks about consumers of the stores how are they in any case relevant to the workers union boycotting the swauremart stores. Is B not irrelevant as it talks about a diff set of people than workers union.

Well, B is relevant indeed because knowing that, we can assume whether boycotting the stores where the staple foods are available will affect directly MegaFood because, lets say if these products are not available anywhere else apart at stores owned by MegaFood, then Yes it will affect directly MegaFood and the plan will probably succeed but if NOT, then the plan will not succeed because it will affect just a part of stores owned by MegaFood and another part, which is not concerned by the plan; Hence B is relevant ..

KUDOS is the good manner to help the entire community.

"If you don't change your life, your life will change you"

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 18

Re: The worker s union of GrainCorp., a grain processing plant, [#permalink] New post 09 Jul 2013, 10:17
what i sthe OA my option is D. Kindly explain
1 KUDOS received
Verbal Forum Moderator
Verbal Forum Moderator
Followers: 117

Kudos [?]: 1204 [1] , given: 119

Premium Member
Re: The worker s union of GrainCorp., a grain processing plant, [#permalink] New post 09 Jul 2013, 11:32
This post received
KUDOS
ruchikaarya41 wrote:
what i sthe OA my option is D. Kindly explain

Hi ruchikaarya41
I’m glad to help.

First, this question comes from Kaplan GMAT 2014 Strategies, Practice, and Review. OA is E.

Second, if you read the question stem carefully, you can understand why E is better than D.
Question stem is : The answer to which of the following questions is LEAST directly relevant….. It asks you to compare which answer support the LEAST. It means that D & E may not support the conclusion at 100%, but if D can help even 1%, E helps nothing ==> E is the correct answer.

If other unions employed successfully the same strategy, It would be a good motivation for the union of GrainCorp to apply this strategy. D could help (even not sure 100%).

E. Is MegaFood the only corporation that operates both grain-processing plants and food stores?
You can ask yourself whether this fact helps Union of GrainCorp to win its strategy? No, Because Megafood is the only corporation that operate both X and Y ==> does not mean Megafood is the only corporation operates only Y. If union boycott against SquareMart food stores, customer can buy food from other stores. ==> The boycott strategy does not help. Hence, E helps the LEAST.

Thus, E is the correct answer.

Hope it helps.

Please +1 KUDO if my post helps. Thank you.

"Designing cars consumes you; it has a hold on your spirit which is incredibly powerful. It's not something you can do part time, you have do it with all your heart and soul or you're going to get it wrong."

Chris Bangle - Former BMV Chief of Design.

Re: The worker s union of GrainCorp., a grain processing plant,   [#permalink] 09 Jul 2013, 11:32