Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 13:24 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 13:24

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Difficulty: 555-605 Levelx   Grammatical/Rhetorical Constructionx   Meaning/Logical Predicationx   Modifiersx   Modifiersx   Punctuationx                                          
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 686 [672]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63657 [215]
Given Kudos: 1773
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170

GRE 2: Q170 V170
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 202 [67]
Given Kudos: 38
Send PM
EMPOWERgmat Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 14673 [40]
Given Kudos: 766
Send PM
Re: The world wildlife fund has declared that global warming, a phenomenon [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
Hello Everyone!

Let's tackle this question, one issue at a time, and narrow it down to the right choice quickly! To begin, here is the original question with any major differences between the options highlighted in orange:

The World Wildlife Fund has declared that global warming, a phenomenon most scientists agree to be caused by human beings in burning fossil fuels, will create havoc among migratory birds by altering the environment in ways harmful to their habitats.

(A) a phenomenon most scientists agree to be caused by human beings in burning fossil fuels,
(B) a phenomenon most scientists agree that is caused by fossil fuels burned by human beings,
(C) a phenomenon that most scientists agree is caused by human beings' burning of fossil fuels,
(D) which most scientists agree on as a phenomenon caused by human beings who burn fossil fuels
(E) which most scientists agree to be a phenomenon caused by fossil fuels burned by human beings

After taking a quick glance over the options, a few key differences popped out:

1. How to start the modifier: "a phenomenon" vs. "which" (Clarity/Meaning)
2. agree to be / agree that is / agree is / agree on (Idiom/Verbs)
3. What is global warming caused by? (Clarity/Meaning)

Let's start with #1 on our list because it will eliminate 2-3 options in one round. This is a matter of clarity.

First, we need to ask ourselves what exactly the scientists are agreeing on in this sentence. Are they agreeing that global warming is a phenomenon? Or do they agree on what causes it? It makes more sense for this sentence to say that scientists agree on what causes the phenomenon! The phrase "a phenomenon" is merely giving us more details about the antecedent "global warming," which is fine. So let's see how our options hold up:

(A) a phenomenon most scientists agree to be caused by human beings in burning fossil fuels,
(B) a phenomenon most scientists agree that is caused by fossil fuels burned by human beings,
(C) a phenomenon that most scientists agree is caused by human beings' burning of fossil fuels,
(D) which most scientists agree on as a phenomenon caused by human beings who burn fossil fuels,
(E) which most scientists agree to be a phenomenon caused by fossil fuels burned by human beings,

We can eliminate options D & E because they slightly change the meaning and focus. The phrase should focus on scientists agreeing on what causes global warming, NOT that it's a phenomenon.

Now that we have things narrowed down a bit, let's move on to #2 & #3 on our list: verbs and meaning. We need to make sure that each option is using the correct verb tense (to be caused/is caused) and that it clearly states what scientists believe causes global warming! Let's see how they break down:

This is INCORRECT for two reasons. First, the verb "to be" implies that scientists will agree on this in the future, and not in the present, which is more likely. Second, it states that global warming is caused by "human beings in burning fossil fuels." This literally means that global warming is caused by human beings who are sitting inside burning fossil fuels. Sounds odd, right? That's because it is! Global warming is caused by burning fossil fuels, not by human beings who are somehow swimming around in burning fossil fuels. So let's rule this out for verb tense and meaning problems.

While this option does get things mostly right, it is still INCORRECT. The word "that" is misplaced here. It is meant to be used as a modifier for the word "phenomenon," so it needs to be placed before "most scientists agree" and not after it. It also just sounds awkward. So let's eliminate this one because of word placement issues.

This is CORRECT! Everything is written clearly and concisely. It uses the present tense "is" to convey that scientists currently agree on this, and what they agree on is stated clearly (global warming is caused by the action of humans burning fossil fuels).

There you have it - option C is the correct choice!

Don't study for the GMAT. Train for it.
Manhattan Prep Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 863 [23]
Given Kudos: 7
Schools:MBA, Thunderbird School of Global Management / BA, Wesleyan University
Send PM
Re: The world wildlife fund has declared that global warming, a phenomenon [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
tonebeeze,

I'd take two lessons from this problem.

1. The plural possessive. C refers to the entire collection of human beings and their burning of fossil fuels, so you need to use the plural possessive. Consider some other examples:

"My three brothers' favorite game growing up was making fun of me." --> Here, the game belongs to all three of my brothers.
"Will you please go to the Smiths' house and ask for a cup of sugar?" --> Here, the house belongs to all of the Smiths, so you need that plural possessive.

2. "Sounds awkward" is less reliable then "is grammatically incorrect."

I agree that C) is written in a way that is not ordinary in everyday speech, but when I'm reading and I notice that, I make only a mental note that it might be wrong. I then go to E) and see the incorrect idiom "agree to be" and then unnecessarily passive tense. The problems with E are therefore worse than the "problems" with C even though C isn't the best sentence in the world.

Does that help?

Brett
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: CrackVerbal
Own Kudos [?]: 7626 [7]
Given Kudos: 215
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Top Contributor
The World Wildlife Fund has declared that global warming, a phenomenon most scientists agree to be caused by human beings in burning fossil fuels, will create havoc among migratory birds by altering the environment in ways harmful to their habitats.

Human beings are not IN Burning fossil fuel. This would make the sentence illogical. Eliminate

What is global warming caused by?
It is caused by- fossil fuels. Eliminate

a phenomenon that most scientists agree is …. modifies Global warming.
It is caused by- human beings' burning of fossil fuels. Correct.

(D) which most scientists agree on as a phenomenon caused by human beings who burn fossil fuels,
It is caused by- Human beings who.. ( more information about human beings) Eliminate

(E) which most scientists agree to be a phenomenon caused by fossil fuels burned by human beings,

It is caused by- fossil fuels. Eliminate

C is the best choice.

CrackVerbal Prep Team
Experts' Global Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 4683 [3]
Given Kudos: 38
GMAT Date: 11-01-2019
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
Dear Friends,

Here is a detailed explanation to this question-
city92 wrote:

Meaning is crucial to solving this problem:
Understanding the intended meaning is key to solving this question; the intended meaning of the crucial part of this sentence is that global warming is a phenomenon that most scientists agree is caused by the act of human beings burning fossil fuels.

Concepts tested here: Meaning + Modifiers

• The infinitive verb form (“to + base form of verb” – “to + be” in this sentence) is the preferred construction for referring to the purpose/intent of an action.

A: This answer choice alters the meaning of the sentence through the phrase “agree to be caused”; the construction of this phrase leads to an incoherent meaning; the intended meaning is that global warming is a phenomenon that most scientists agree is caused by the act of human beings burning fossil fuels.

B: This answer choice alters the meaning of the sentence through the phrase “agree that is”; the construction of this phrase leads to an incoherent meaning; the intended meaning is that global warming is a phenomenon that most scientists agree is caused by the act of human beings burning fossil fuels. Moreover, Option B further alters the meaning of the sentence through the phrase “caused by fossil fuels”; the construction of this phrase incorrectly implies that global warming is a phenomenon caused by the fossil fuels, themselves; the intended meaning is that global warming is a phenomenon caused by the act of burning fossil fuels.

C: Correct. This answer choice uses the phrases ”most scientists agree is” and “caused by…burning of fossil fuels”, conveying the intended meaning – that global warming is a phenomenon caused by the act of burning fossil fuels. Further, Option C is free of any awkwardness or redundancy.

D: This answer choice alters the meaning of the sentence through the phrase “caused by human beings who”; the construction of this phrase incorrectly implies that global warming is a phenomenon caused by the human beings who burn fossil fuels; the intended meaning is that global warming is a phenomenon caused by the act of burning fossil fuels. Further, Option D uses the needlessly wordy phrase “agree on as a phenomenon”, rendering it awkward and needlessly redundant.

E: This answer choice alters the meaning of the sentence through the phrase “caused by fossil fuels”; the construction of this phrase incorrectly implies that global warming is a phenomenon caused by the fossil fuels, themselves; the intended meaning is that global warming is a phenomenon caused by the act of burning fossil fuels.

Hence, C is the best answer choice.

All the best!
Experts' Global Team
General Discussion
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 686 [7]
Send PM
Kudos
You can all get the answer and explanation from OG, but one thing is not clear to me. I would appreciate if someone can explain:

if you look at the choice c:
C) a phenomenon that most scientists agree is caused by human beings' burning of fossil fuels.

'is caused' make this a full clause isn't it?
a phenomenon "that most scientists agree" is caused by human...

If inserted into the main setnese above, it should be connected by the conjuncion because it is a independent clause, otherwise it looks like this:
A World Wilfe fund has declard that global warming, a phenomenon is caused by human beings' burning of fossil fuels, will create havoc.....

Obviously, since the answer is C, I suppose i should have interpreted it as
a phenomenon that "most scientists agree" is caused by human...

Then, this will make better sense in main sentense as whole:
A World Wilfe fund has declard that global warming, a phenomenon that is caused by human beings' burning of fossil fuels, will create havoc.....

If so, what is the grammatical function(or name) for this, yet another clause "most scientists agree" in between? (another full clause with no conjunction)
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 884 [8]
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
city92 wrote:
You can all get the answer and explanation from OG, but one thing is not clear to me. I would appreciate if someone can explain:

if you look at the choice c:
C) a phenomenon that most scientists agree is caused by human beings' burning of fossil fuels.

'is caused' make this a full clause isn't it?
a phenomenon "that most scientists agree" is caused by human...

If inserted into the main setnese above, it should be connected by the conjuncion because it is a independent clause, otherwise it looks like this:
A World Wilfe fund has declard that global warming, a phenomenon is caused by human beings' burning of fossil fuels, will create havoc.....

Obviously, since the answer is C, I suppose i should have interpreted it as
a phenomenon that "most scientists agree" is caused by human...

Then, this will make better sense in main sentense as whole:
A World Wilfe fund has declard that global warming, a phenomenon that is caused by human beings' burning of fossil fuels, will create havoc.....

If so, what is the grammatical function(or name) for this, yet another clause "most scientists agree" in between? (another full clause with no conjunction)

I think it's simple, mate
c) a phenomenon that most scientists agree is caused by human beings's burning of fossil fuels -->that here is a relative pronoun modifies for a phenomenon

As if we commonly think, it can be written as: a phenomenon that is caused by human .... where that here modifies for a phenomenon and stands at the subject position of the new clause

But this clause offered by the choice (C) here is written as: a phenomenon that most scientist agree is caused ... where a phenomenon here is still modified by that but it plays a role of an object in the clause modifying for it, and therefore, most scientists will be the subject of such clause
More clearly, we can re-write it as: most scientist agree global warming (a phenomenon) is caused by human being's burning of fossil fuels --> you can see the object role of a phenomenon, or global warming, in this re-written clause
Such structure is still called a clause modifying for a Noun, and they are connected by a relative pronoun, whatsoever the role of such Noun (Subject or Object) in the modifying clause. Maybe I can't remember its official name, but as I mentioned, lets simply call Noun-modifying clause
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 686 [6]
Send PM
Kudos
Thank you for the explanation.

With so many exceptions and special cases, I feel like my basic grammar understanding never seems to apply in SC. When i first started GMAT prep, I thought SC was the easiest section in verbal. While my CR and RC skills have improved a lot since the beginning of study, my SC skills seem to go nowhere. no matter how much I study, i always stumble on yet another new special cases, which I am not familiar with. :evil:

(Is it because I am simply a non-english native? or do english natives find SC difficult as much as non-natives do?)

Anyway, this is great forum. Thanks again for the reply.
Manager
Manager
Status:SLOGGING : My son says,This time Papa u will have to make it : Innocence is BLISS
Own Kudos [?]: 267 [5]
Given Kudos: 30
WE:Sales (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
Kudos