Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 26 Mar 2015, 18:08

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

The World Wildlife Fund has declared that global warming, a

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:
Current Student
User avatar
Status: Current MBA Student
Joined: 19 Nov 2009
Posts: 128
Concentration: Finance, General Management
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V40
Followers: 10

Kudos [?]: 98 [0], given: 210

The World Wildlife Fund has declared that global warming, a [#permalink] New post 11 Jan 2011, 11:40
2
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

  45% (medium)

Question Stats:

56% (02:22) correct 44% (01:08) wrong based on 183 sessions
118. The World Wildlife Fund has declared that global
warming, a phenomenon most scientists agree to be
caused by human beings in burning fossil fuels
, will
create havoc among migratory birds by altering the
environment in ways harmful to their habitats.

(A) a phenomenon most scientists agree to be
caused by human beings in burning fossil fuels,

(B) a phenomenon most scientists agree that is
caused by fossil fuels burned by human beings,

(C) a phenomenon that most scientists agree is
caused by human beings’ burning of fossil fuels,

(D) which most scientists agree on as a phenomenon
caused by human beings who burn fossil fuels,

(E) which most scientists agree to be a
phenomenon caused by fossil fuels burned by
human beings,

I was able to narrow the answer choices down to (C) and (E), but went with (E) because "human being's burning of fossil fuels" sounded awkward + I wasnt' sure if human being's was a correct possessive. Clearly I was incorrect. Any advice one this problem would be much appreciated.
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA
3 KUDOS received
Manhattan GMAT Instructor
User avatar
Joined: 22 Sep 2010
Posts: 185
Schools: MBA, Thunderbird School of Global Management / BA, Wesleyan University
Followers: 77

Kudos [?]: 125 [3] , given: 7

Re: Global Warming [#permalink] New post 11 Jan 2011, 18:26
3
This post received
KUDOS
tonebeeze,

I'd take two lessons from this problem.

1. The plural possessive. C refers to the entire collection of human beings and their burning of fossil fuels, so you need to use the plural possessive. Consider some other examples:

"My three brothers' favorite game growing up was making fun of me." --> Here, the game belongs to all three of my brothers.
"Will you please go to the Smiths' house and ask for a cup of sugar?" --> Here, the house belongs to all of the Smiths, so you need that plural possessive.

2. "Sounds awkward" is less reliable then "is grammatically incorrect."

I agree that C) is written in a way that is not ordinary in everyday speech, but when I'm reading and I notice that, I make only a mental note that it might be wrong. I then go to E) and see the incorrect idiom "agree to be" and then unnecessarily passive tense. The problems with E are therefore worse than the "problems" with C even though C isn't the best sentence in the world.

Does that help?

Brett
_________________


Brett Beach-Kimball | Manhattan GMAT Instructor

Manhattan GMAT Discount | Manhattan GMAT Reviews

Expert Post
Moderator
Moderator
User avatar
Joined: 01 Sep 2010
Posts: 2557
Followers: 402

Kudos [?]: 3273 [0], given: 717

Re: Global Warming [#permalink] New post 12 Jan 2011, 04:12
Expert's post
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 05 Jul 2010
Posts: 204
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 18

Re: Global Warming [#permalink] New post 17 Jul 2011, 05:54
I have a very basic question on this problem. Is 'a phenomenon ....' is describing Global Warming?
in D and E, it sure describes global warming.
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 03 Feb 2014
Posts: 10
Location: United States
Concentration: Technology, Social Entrepreneurship
GPA: 3.75
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 171

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: The World Wildlife Fund has declared that global warming, a [#permalink] New post 04 Jul 2014, 08:10
BKimball wrote:
tonebeeze,

I'd take two lessons from this problem.

1. The plural possessive. C refers to the entire collection of human beings and their burning of fossil fuels, so you need to use the plural possessive. Consider some other examples:

"My three brothers' favorite game growing up was making fun of me." --> Here, the game belongs to all three of my brothers.
"Will you please go to the Smiths' house and ask for a cup of sugar?" --> Here, the house belongs to all of the Smiths, so you need that plural possessive.

2. "Sounds awkward" is less reliable then "is grammatically incorrect."

I agree that C) is written in a way that is not ordinary in everyday speech, but when I'm reading and I notice that, I make only a mental note that it might be wrong. I then go to E) and see the incorrect idiom "agree to be" and then unnecessarily passive tense. The problems with E are therefore worse than the "problems" with C even though C isn't the best sentence in the world.

Does that help?

Brett


Hi Brett,

I don't know if you are still active on GMAT Club, but could you please clear my doubt about this OA C?

Won't C create a run on sentence in the stem?

Regards,
Ashish
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 04 Jan 2014
Posts: 129
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 24

Re: The World Wildlife Fund has declared that global warming, a [#permalink] New post 06 Jul 2014, 03:42
Why is D incorrect?

(D) which most scientists agree on as a phenomenon caused by human beings who burn fossil fuels,
Expert Post
e-GMAT Representative
User avatar
Joined: 02 Nov 2011
Posts: 1823
Followers: 1409

Kudos [?]: 4235 [0], given: 208

Re: The World Wildlife Fund has declared that global warming, a [#permalink] New post 16 Jul 2014, 21:53
Expert's post
pretzel wrote:
Why is D incorrect?

(D) which most scientists agree on as a phenomenon caused by human beings who burn fossil fuels,





Hi Pretzel,

Before we move on to option D, let’s first understand the meaning of the original sentence:
The World Wildlife Fund has declared (Clause-I)
o that global warming, (Clause-II)
 a phenomenon most scientists agree to be caused by human beings in burning fossil fuels, (Clause-III)
o will create havoc among migratory birds by altering the environment in ways harmful to their habitats. (Clause II Contd.)

MEANING

The author tells us about a declaration made by the World Wildlife Fund. According to this declaration the global warming will change the environment and make it harmful to the living places of the migratory birds.
The author also tells us that majority of the scientists agree that global warming is caused by the humans by burning fossil fuels.

Now, let’s move on to option D:
D.) which most scientists agree on as a phenomenon caused by human beings who burn fossil fuels,

Now, this sentence has a meaning error. It states that the phenomenon is caused by human beings. These human beings burn fossil fuels is presented only as additional information. This is incorrect. Global warming is caused by the burning of fossil fuels not by the human beings.


Hope this helps! :)
Deepak
_________________

Learn how eGMATers improved their GMAT scores by 100+ points - Click here

Learn about our newly released Quant Online course here.

Expert Post
e-GMAT Representative
User avatar
Joined: 02 Nov 2011
Posts: 1823
Followers: 1409

Kudos [?]: 4235 [0], given: 208

Re: The World Wildlife Fund has declared that global warming, a [#permalink] New post 21 Jul 2014, 22:42
Expert's post
asagraw wrote:

Won't C create a run on sentence in the stem?

Regards,
Ashish



Hi Ashish,
I don't know whether you are still looking for a reply, but here it is anyways. :)

Let’s take a look at the structure of this sentence with option C:

The World Wildlife Fund has declared (Clause I)
o that global warming, (Clause II)
 a phenomenon
that (Clause III)
o most scientists agree (Clause IV)
is caused by human beings’ burning of fossil fuels, (Clause III Contd.)
o will create havoc among migratory birds by altering the environment in ways harmful to their habitats. (Clause II Contd. )

Now, as we can see all the clauses in this sentence are properly connected. The structure “a phenomenon that….fossil fuels” is a Noun + Noun modifier, in which "a phenomenon" refers to "global warming" and the part that follows it is the noun modifier. So, option C is the correct answer and it does not create a run-on sentence.

Hope this helps! :)
Deepak
_________________

Learn how eGMATers improved their GMAT scores by 100+ points - Click here

Learn about our newly released Quant Online course here.

Manager
Manager
User avatar
Joined: 10 Mar 2013
Posts: 168
Location: Germany
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
GMAT Date: 05-27-2015
GPA: 3.88
WE: Information Technology (Consulting)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 186

GMAT ToolKit User CAT Tests
Re: The World Wildlife Fund has declared that global warming, a [#permalink] New post 09 Jan 2015, 15:57
egmat wrote:
pretzel wrote:
Why is D incorrect?

(D) which most scientists agree on as a phenomenon caused by human beings who burn fossil fuels,





Hi Pretzel,

Before we move on to option D, let’s first understand the meaning of the original sentence:
The World Wildlife Fund has declared (Clause-I)
o that global warming, (Clause-II)
 a phenomenon most scientists agree to be caused by human beings in burning fossil fuels, (Clause-III)
o will create havoc among migratory birds by altering the environment in ways harmful to their habitats. (Clause II Contd.)

MEANING

The author tells us about a declaration made by the World Wildlife Fund. According to this declaration the global warming will change the environment and make it harmful to the living places of the migratory birds.
The author also tells us that majority of the scientists agree that global warming is caused by the humans by burning fossil fuels.

Now, let’s move on to option D:
D.) which most scientists agree on as a phenomenon caused by human beings who burn fossil fuels,

Now, this sentence has a meaning error. It states that the phenomenon is caused by human beings. These human beings burn fossil fuels is presented only as additional information. This is incorrect. Global warming is caused by the burning of fossil fuels not by the human beings.


Hope this helps! :)
Deepak



Hi Deepak, than , taking your notes about additional information, one can solve this question in this way ?--->
A,B,D and E are wrong, because they state that a phenomenon is caused either by Human or by fossil fuels ?
_________________

When you’re up, your friends know who you are. When you’re down, you know who your friends are.

Share some Kudos, if my posts help you. Thank you !

Manager
Manager
User avatar
Joined: 10 Mar 2013
Posts: 168
Location: Germany
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
GMAT Date: 05-27-2015
GPA: 3.88
WE: Information Technology (Consulting)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 186

GMAT ToolKit User CAT Tests
The World Wildlife Fund has declared that global warming, a [#permalink] New post 09 Jan 2015, 16:01
can someone please write down the analysis for all answer choices and not only for some of them.

Thanks !
_________________

When you’re up, your friends know who you are. When you’re down, you know who your friends are.

Share some Kudos, if my posts help you. Thank you !

Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 14 Nov 2014
Posts: 52
GPA: 3.34
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 0

GMAT ToolKit User CAT Tests
Re: The World Wildlife Fund has declared that global warming, a [#permalink] New post 09 Jan 2015, 17:38
BrainLab wrote:
can someone please write down the analysis for all answer choices and not only for some of them.

Thanks !


118. The World Wildlife Fund has declared that global
warming, a phenomenon most scientists agree to be
caused by human beings in burning fossil fuels, will
create havoc among migratory birds by altering the
environment in ways harmful to their habitats.

(A) a phenomenon most scientists agree to be
caused by human beings in burning fossil fuels,

--> in burning fossil fuels is incorrect here. Humans beings in burning fossil fuels? What would that even mean?

(B) a phenomenon most scientists agree that is
caused by fossil fuels burned by human beings,

some intense passive voice going on here. Caused by fossil fuels burned by human beings? Z is caused by Y being done by X? Not by itself incorrect, but highly suspect.

(C) a phenomenon that most scientists agree is
caused by human beings’ burning of fossil fuels,

Similar to B, but a bit better (even if it sounds strange). It is clear that the act of human beings burning fossil fuels is causing the phenomenon.

(D) which most scientists agree on as a phenomenon
caused by human beings who burn fossil fuels,

who burn fossil fuels is misplaced. This one makes it sound like global warming is caused by human beings who burn fossil fuels, and the main cause is HUMAN BEINGS, not the act of burning fossil fuels.

(E) which most scientists agree to be a
phenomenon caused by fossil fuels burned by
human beings,

passive voice, and "agree to be" is very awkward.

C is the best.
Re: The World Wildlife Fund has declared that global warming, a   [#permalink] 09 Jan 2015, 17:38
    Similar topics Author Replies Last post
Similar
Topics:
15 Experts publish their posts in the topic The world wildlife fund has declared that global warming, a souvik101990 17 09 Oct 2012, 01:50
1 The World Wildlife Fund has declared that global warming, a Swapnilpara 3 10 Sep 2012, 04:27
The World Wildlife Fund has declared that global warming, a ajit257 1 18 Jan 2011, 05:06
17 Experts publish their posts in the topic The world wildlife fund has declared that global warming, a metallicafan 12 23 Oct 2010, 08:31
The World Wildlife Fund has declared that global warming, a imania 2 20 Oct 2010, 07:49
Display posts from previous: Sort by

The World Wildlife Fund has declared that global warming, a

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  


cron

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Privacy Policy| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group and phpBB SEO

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.