Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 18 Sep 2014, 14:17

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

The worst pre-gmat night possible? 750 (47q / 46v)

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 14 [0], given: 0

The worst pre-gmat night possible? 750 (47q / 46v) [#permalink] New post 02 May 2008, 11:34
The worst pre-gmat night possible?

Round 1:
My story begins when I first took the gmat in January and scored many points below my gmat prep average. I had insane neighbors in the apartment above me and they decided to blast the TV starting at about 12:30 at night. To make a long story short, my total sleep time was nil and my level of frustration was through the roof. The following morning, because of my bloodshot eyes and deranged appearance, my girlfriend was seriously considering taking me to the hospital instead of the VUE test center.

So of course I bombed. Well, actually, it was not that terrible, but it was far enough below my potential to make me want to scream. I was so upset with the score that I scheduled a retake right away, for mid Feb. Additionally, the building owner agreed to evict the people upstairs.

Round 2:
The people upstairs were asked (many times) to be quiet on the night before test #2. I personally appealed to their sense of compassion and decency, while the landlord threatened that the police would be called. Were they quiet? Of course not.

So I turned to plan B: Nyquil. It’s supposed to make you sleepy, right? Did you know that if you drink enough of it, it makes you feel like you are drunk? To make a long story short, I still got no sleep, but now I was also somewhat Nyquil buzzed and Nyquil hung-over. I felt like shooting myself.

AWA:
The screen was swaying and the words were jumping around. It’s only because I write so often that I was able to squeeze out a 5.0. By the break, a mere 5 minutes later, I wasn’t able to recall what I wrote about.

Quant:
The quant always scares the hell out of me. Doing a timed gmat quant feels like having my brains drawn out of my head through a tiny hole, beat to a pulp by a professional boxer, then forcibly stuffed back into my skull, all within 75 minutes. The initial questions were hard and got harder quickly, a most excellent sign. However, I dwelled too long in the beginning and rushed a little through the end. The questions were -difficult- and I never felt sure of myself during the entire section. I felt like I got a 38 - 40. I never feel good after a quant.

Verbal:
Something happened here. Maybe the Nyquil wore off or maybe I was just happy not to be doing quant, but I became a verbal ninja for 75 minutes. The poor gmat didn’t stand a chance against me. By question 39 I was thinking that maybe, just maybe I would crack 700, and that made me giddy. Then I remembered that I probably blew the quant and my score could just as easily be 620.

Reporting the scores:
So I click ‘report my scores.’
The room was empty. The only person around was the proctor, who was reading a book, behind the glass wall. For 5 nervous, very quiet minutes I was staring at the screen, expecting with dread something like a 640. All of the sudden the screen said - 750 -. Holy crap. In a heartbeat my freakin gmat saga was over...

Practice methods and tools:
It’s been said before, and it’s worth repeating: OG is your best friend. Have you ever seen full metal jacket? Do you remember when they pray to their rifles? Pray to your OG. “This is my OG. There are many like it, but this one is mine…”

Secondly, GMAT prep is your next best friend. It’s exactly like the GMAT. The scoring is very close to the GMAT. Live it, love it (but don’t waste it).

I used the Kaplan 800 book to understand some of the harder concepts in SC and quant. I loved it, but others hate it. For me, I could follow Kaplan's explanations well.

I hated the MGMAT sentence correction book… until after I had tons of exposure to gmat SCs, then I felt the MGMAT SC book was the best.

MGMAT quant CATs are great practice. They ask the most convoluted questions, and their scoring is ridiculous, but they really do prepare you for 75 minutes of math torture. Don’t study them though. Use MGMAT cat's to get a feel of your weaknesses, but study the OG.

MGMAT verbal CATs are awful. I’d avoid them entirely. Their questions miss the –feel- of the gmat by a lot. Getting better at these will not make you better at the high level gmat questions, in my opinion.

Tip to scoring over 700: After you do 10,000 gmat questions, you start to realize that they are testing a very specific reasoning ability in every question, regardless of the question type. The goal of studying is to know the core concepts of each question type cold, so you can free yourself to excel in the reasoning / problem solving underneath.

My final tip? If your neighbors are noisy, shoot them before the exam.

(Sorry for waiting 2+ months to post this... I was busy with apps!)
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
SVP
SVP
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 86 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: The worst pre-gmat night possible? 750 (47q / 46v) [#permalink] New post 02 May 2008, 11:49
Your gmat saga over at 750? Weeeeaaak. Roll up your sleeves and get yourself an 800!!!

Kidding of course :P , congrats on a great score.
Current Student
Schools: Chicago Booth '11
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 21 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: The worst pre-gmat night possible? 750 (47q / 46v) [#permalink] New post 02 May 2008, 11:52
Congratulations on the excellent score!
Current Student
Schools: F2010 - HBS (R1 - denied w/o interview ), INSEAD (R1 - admitted), Wharton (R1 - waitlisted & ding), Ivey (R2 - admitted w/ 60% tuition)
WE 1: 3.5yrs as a Strategy Consultant - Big 4
Followers: 11

Kudos [?]: 34 [0], given: 16

GMAT Tests User
Re: The worst pre-gmat night possible? 750 (47q / 46v) [#permalink] New post 02 May 2008, 11:54
well done ...

INSEAD Sept 2010 Interview Invite Nov 5, 2009 Admit & Matriculating
Wharton Sept 2010 Interview Invite Oct 30, 2009 Waitlisted & Ding
Harvard Sept 2010 Ding without Interview
Ivey May 2010 Interview Invite Nov 23, 2009 Admit + $$

Expert Post
Founder
Founder
Affiliations: UA-1K, SPG-G, HH-D
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.5
WE: Information Technology (Hospitality and Tourism)
Followers: 2278

Kudos [?]: 8812 [0], given: 3667

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: The worst pre-gmat night possible? 750 (47q / 46v) [#permalink] New post 02 May 2008, 13:40
Expert's post
Good Job! How are the applications going?

Founder of GMAT Club

Just starting out with GMAT? Start here... | Want to know your GMAT Score? Try GMAT Score Estimator
Need GMAT Book Recommendations? Best GMAT Books

Co-author of the GMAT Club tests

Have a blog? Feature it on GMAT Club!

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 39 [0], given: 1

GMAT Tests User
Re: The worst pre-gmat night possible? 750 (47q / 46v) [#permalink] New post 02 May 2008, 13:46
wELL doNE! bRILLIANT sCORE
Manager
Manager

Re: The worst pre-gmat night possible? 750 (47q / 46v) [#permalink] New post 02 May 2008, 15:02
Well done! It's a great score. I might be tempted to try Nyquil before my GMAT :lol: .
Manager
Manager
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 0

Re: The worst pre-gmat night possible? 750 (47q / 46v) [#permalink] New post 02 May 2008, 15:51
HI ;
Can you give any suggestions on how to prepare for CR ?

thanks,
Manager
Manager

Re: The worst pre-gmat night possible? 750 (47q / 46v) [#permalink] New post 02 May 2008, 16:04
bb wrote:
Good Job! How are the applications going?

All complete. I'm admitted to Fordham, but waiting on my #1 choice: NYU Langone part-time.
Manager
Manager

Re: The worst pre-gmat night possible? 750 (47q / 46v) [#permalink] New post 02 May 2008, 16:17
abhaypratapsingh wrote:
HI ;
Can you give any suggestions on how to prepare for CR ?

thanks,

I wish I could. I simply killed CR from the onset. I really did little to no work in that area. SC on the other hand... that I had to work for.

But I do have these two bits of strategy:
1) Read the question before reading the background info. When you know what they are asking for, it's easier to find it.
2) Read the background info and question at least twice.

And this process for all verbal:
1) Write down "A - B - C - D - E" on your scratch paper.
2) Eliminate the obviously wrong answers by crossing them out (you can usually cross off 2 or 3 rather easily).
3) Among the remaining answers, look for subtle differences that test core gmat concepts. The harder the question, the subtler the difference between a right answer choice and a wrong one.
Re: The worst pre-gmat night possible? 750 (47q / 46v)   [#permalink] 02 May 2008, 16:17