Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 22 Sep 2014, 20:42

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

The y intercept of line l is 4. If the slope of line l is

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 13

The y intercept of line l is 4. If the slope of line l is [#permalink] New post 11 Jun 2010, 06:52
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

25% (medium)

Question Stats:

79% (01:51) correct 21% (01:11) wrong based on 56 sessions
The y intercept of line l is 4. If the slope of line l is negative ,which of the following could be the x intercept of line l?

I) -1
II) 0
III) 6

A. I only
B. II only
C. III only
D. I and II only
E. I and III only
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA
Manager
Manager
Schools: IU, UT Dallas, Univ of Georgia, Univ of Arkansas, Miami University
WE 1: 5.5 Yrs IT
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 3

Re: Need help in Coordinate geometry [#permalink] New post 11 Jun 2010, 07:11
C

equation of a line y = mx+c.
If y intercept of line l is 4, then one of the points is (0,4) - by making x zero.

We know that the slope 'm' is negative. To find the x intercept of the line, make y zero in the above line equation. We get x = -c/m.
Since the value of c is 4 and the slope is negative. x has to be positive, and not negative or 0.
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 94

Re: The y intercept of line l is 4. If the slope of line l is [#permalink] New post 22 Jul 2012, 18:48
Hi Bunuel,
I am not convinced with the answer for the above question. Let me tell you how I approached it. The equation is y=mx+4, where 4 is the y-intercept (given) and since it has got a negative slope, the equation becomes, y=(-m)x+4. Now, to determine x-intercept, we consider y=0, then, -mx+4=0, hence mx=4 and since m has to be negative (it is given that slope is negative for the line), I chose x=-1, so that m=-4. According to the above calculations, I get the answer as A. But the answer is C. Please help me get the concept right.
Goizueta Thread Master
Concentration: Strategy, Technology
GMAT 1: 660 Q47 V34
GMAT 2: 680 Q46 V38
GPA: 3.2
WE: Consulting (Computer Software)
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 31 [0], given: 23

GMAT Tests User
Re: The y intercept of line l is 4. If the slope of line l is [#permalink] New post 22 Jul 2012, 19:12
Try visualizing the problem.

There are 2 givens:
1) The y intercept is 4
2) The slope is negative

Now draw out a coordinate plane and try to draw a few sample solutions that meet the above givens.

The only way the line can cross -1 is if the slope was positive. The line will also never cross 0 because that would form an undefined slope.

Solution 1) 6 is the only valid option. Therefore, the correct answer is C.
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 17

Re: The y intercept of line l is 4. If the slope of line l is [#permalink] New post 23 Jul 2012, 00:47
The answer is C. If the slope is negative of the line then either it passes through the 1 st quadrant <starting from II towards IV> or passes through the third quadrant <starting from II towards IV>.. Thus, the intercepts are either both positive or both negative. Given in the question, its a positive intercept, the other one will be a positive as well. Thus, 6.
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
GMAT 1: 730 Q49 V40

Kudos [?]: 15 [1] , given: 6

Re: The y intercept of line l is 4. If the slope of line l is [#permalink] New post 23 Jul 2012, 02:16
This post received
KUDOS
sharmila79 wrote:
Hi Bunuel,
I am not convinced with the answer for the above question. Let me tell you how I approached it. The equation is y=mx+4, where 4 is the y-intercept (given) and since it has got a negative slope, the equation becomes, y=(-m)x+4. Now, to determine x-intercept, we consider y=0, then, -mx+4=0, hence mx=4 and since m has to be negative (it is given that slope is negative for the line), I chose x=-1, so that m=-4. According to the above calculations, I get the answer as A. But the answer is C. Please help me get the concept right.

No. You are mixing it up.
the slope is negative
Hence you can write
y=(-m)x+4
since -m is negative, in this case m must be positive
again your slope is -m, not m!!

So later if you say mx=4
x is necessarily positive since m is positive.

Try to be rigorous when you create variables.
Manager
Manager
GMAT 1: 730 Q49 V40

Kudos [?]: 15 [0], given: 6

Re: The y intercept of line l is 4. If the slope of line l is [#permalink] New post 23 Jul 2012, 02:18
Also, even though the answer is C, this problem is not very well written IMO since an infinite negative slope could cause the x intercept to be 0 :D (though "The intercept" can imply that there is only one y intercept)
Re: The y intercept of line l is 4. If the slope of line l is   [#permalink] 23 Jul 2012, 02:18