Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 16 Apr 2014, 17:12

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

The yield per acre of coffee berries varies enormously in

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
The yield per acre of coffee berries varies enormously in [#permalink] New post 10 Nov 2005, 21:17
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

5% (low)

Question Stats:

0% (00:00) correct 0% (00:00) wrong based on 0 sessions
The yield per acre of coffee berries varies enormously in that a single tree, depending on both its size and on climate and altitude, could produce enough berries to make between one and twelve pounds of dried beans a year.

A enormously in that a single tree, depending on both its size and on climate and altitude, could produce
B enormously in that a single tree, dependent on its size and also on climate and altitude, is able to produce
C enormously, because a single tree, depending on its size and on climate and altitude, is able to produce
D enormously, because a single tree, being dependent on its size, climate, and altitude, is capable of producing
E enormously, because a single tree, dependent on its size as well as on climate and altitude, could produce

OA C
Director
Director
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: SC: yield of coffee berries -from GmatPrep Test [#permalink] New post 10 Nov 2005, 21:51
qpoo wrote:
The yield per acre of coffee berries varies enormously in that a single tree, depending on both its size and on climate and altitude, could produce enough berries to make between one and twelve pounds of dried beans a year.

A enormously in that a single tree, depending on both its size and on climate and altitude, could produce
B enormously in that a single tree, dependent on its size and also on climate and altitude, is able to produce
C enormously, because a single tree, depending on its size and on climate and altitude, is able to produce
D enormously, because a single tree, being dependent on its size, climate, and altitude, is capable of producing
E enormously, because a single tree, dependent on its size as well as on climate and altitude, could produce

OA C

E

A B are out cause both clauses in those sentence are dependent clause and they can't be just connected with comma. It needs some subordinating conjuction and one of the clause needs to be Independent.

so down to C D E.
C) does not used the proposition 'on' correctely ...also the excessive use of and ..awkward.
D) uses 'being' usually wrong in GMAT.

Hence E..
Director
Director

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 10 Nov 2005, 21:53
opps just saw the OA and totaly defeted..... :cry: :cry: ....

somebody pls explain the difference between OA and E.....
VP
VP
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 27 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 11 Nov 2005, 00:33
i am not very sure about this one, but i think that "depending", a participle, is prefered to "dependent", an adjective. i dont think that a phrase can begin with an adjective. in this case its a participle phrase that must begin with a participle. maybe someone can shed more light on it...

If your mind can conceive it and your heart can believe it, have faith that you can achieve it.

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 11 Nov 2005, 03:40
C . I am not sure here but "able to produce" is better than "could". I am really not sure but I would use "would/could" when we have "IF...THEN" clauses...
SVP
SVP
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 25 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 11 Nov 2005, 05:29
you need a participle to modify tree.

so C is the only choice.

hey ya......

Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 11 Nov 2005, 05:47
nakib77 wrote:

so C is the only choice.

Hey Nakib, could you explain a bit more in detail for me? I got it down to A and C, but I chose A because I thought that "~x, because~" was wrong. I thought it should be "~x because~" without the comma.

Thanks.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 11 Nov 2005, 08:46
C for me.

(A) enormously in that a single tree, depending on both its size and on climate and altitude, could produce
wrong at both ... and: all thing after "both" and "and" must be parallel
Manager
Manager

GMAT Tests User
Re: SC: yield of coffee berries -from GmatPrep Test [#permalink] New post 11 Nov 2005, 14:04
I would choose C.

I eliminated A and B because an explanation must follow, and therefore the clause is introduced best with because. The passive in D is wrong and so I eliminated it. C is best because depending on its size and on climate and altitude refers clearly to tree and the expression is able to is also right.
SVP
SVP
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 25 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 15 Nov 2005, 06:54
aiming wrote:
nakib77 wrote:

so C is the only choice.

Hey Nakib, could you explain a bit more in detail for me? I got it down to A and C, but I chose A because I thought that "~x, because~" was wrong. I thought it should be "~x because~" without the comma.

Thanks.

Is able to produce is better than could produce. there is no need to use could for presenting a fact.
That is why C is a better option.

hey ya......

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 15 Nov 2005, 09:17
go for C

One of the major differences between C nad E is:

C. depending on its size
E. dependent on its size

C sounds better than E.
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 4 [1] , given: 0

[#permalink] New post 20 Jun 2006, 00:49
This post received
KUDOS
A : on both x and on y : wrong structure
B : dependent : wrong
D: being
E: both , as well as : redundant

C

Learn and let others learn

CEO
CEO
Schools: Completed at SAID BUSINESS SCHOOL, OXFORD - Class of 2008
Followers: 13

Kudos [?]: 60 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: SC: yield of coffee berries -from GmatPrep Test [#permalink] New post 06 Aug 2006, 20:49

=====> WRONG. correct construction is 1. on both X and Y OR both on X and on Y.

=====> WRONG. We need depending verb not the adjective depeendent.

=====> CORRECT

=====> WRONG. "being dependent" seems wrong.

=====> WRONG. We need depending verb not the adjective depeendent.

SAID BUSINESS SCHOOL, OXFORD - MBA CLASS OF 2008

SVP
SVP

Kudos [?]: 18 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 06 Aug 2006, 21:19
Was torn between A and C.

Re-read it many times,but somehow missed the "both" structure.

Finally got it.

Will go with C.

Both X and Y is the correct structure.
Current Student
Followers: 21

Kudos [?]: 110 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User Reviews Badge
 [#permalink] New post 12 Aug 2006, 07:30
1. almost always choose because over in that
2. depends on~ active and idiomatic

(C)

1:29
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 13 Aug 2006, 00:57
Go with C as well.

A--> incorrect both structure
D--> incorrect being

Leaves B,C,E
B--> incorrect. prefer 'because' than 'in that' as the second part of sentence gives the reason for the first part. 'in that' can only be used if second part further qualifies something stated in the first part.
E--> incorrect. 'depending' in C sounds more correct.

Leaves C as the answer. But it took me > 2 mins to nail this down.. :roll:
Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 15 Aug 2006, 08:32
Stuck between A and E. :?
Does anyone have the OA?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 15 Aug 2006, 11:13
Was torn between A and C

Will go with C

According to OG , 'in that' is considered too silly and formal.
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: SC: yield of coffee berries -from GmatPrep Test [#permalink] New post 05 Aug 2008, 03:03
could someone pls explain why 'depending' vs 'dependent' is reqd? all i could figure out is that adjectives can only modify nouns vs verbs/adverbs modify everything else..right?

Thanks!
Intern
Intern
GMAT Date: 12-30-2011
GPA: 3.7

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 1

The yield per acre [#permalink] New post 07 Oct 2011, 05:24
A. enormously in that a single tree, depending on both its size and on climate and altitude, could produce
B. enormously in that a single tree, dependent on its size and also on climate and altitude, is able to produce
C. enormously, because a single tree, depending on its size and on climate and altitude, is able to produce
D. enormously, because a single tree, being dependent on its size, climate, and altitude, is capable of producing
E. enormously, because a single tree, dependent both on its size as well as on climate and altitude, could produce
The yield per acre   [#permalink] 07 Oct 2011, 05:24