Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 02 Oct 2014, 05:06

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

The yield per acre of coffee berries varies enormously in

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
SVP
SVP
Schools: CBS
WE 1: 4 years (Consulting)
Followers: 31

Kudos [?]: 259 [0], given: 2

The yield per acre of coffee berries varies enormously in [#permalink] New post 13 Jun 2010, 06:35
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

67% (01:54) correct 33% (00:56) wrong based on 112 sessions
The yield per acre of coffee berries varies enormously in that a single tree,
depending on both its size and on climate and altitude, could produce
enough
berries to make between one and twelve pounds of dried beans a year.

A. enormously in that a single tree, depending on both its size and on climate and
altitude, could produce
B. enormously in that a single tree, dependent on its size and also on climate and
altitude, is able to produce
C. enormously, because a single tree, depending on its size and on climate and altitude, is
able to produce
D. enormously, because a single tree, being dependent on its size, climate, and altitude, is
capable of producing
E. enormously, because a single tree, dependent both on its size as well as on climate
and altitude, could produce

The sky is the limit
800 is the limit

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Director
Director
Status: Impossible is not a fact. It's an opinion. It's a dare. Impossible is nothing.
Affiliations: Chicago Booth Class of 2015
Followers: 14

Kudos [?]: 409 [0], given: 36

Re: yield [#permalink] New post 13 Jun 2010, 07:24
B, D and E are OUT.
B : dependent
D : being
E : both x as well as y

A : fails parallelism
C : it is

Please press kudos if you like my post.

6 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
WE 1: 2 yrs - Oilfield Service
Followers: 11

Kudos [?]: 67 [6] , given: 7

Reviews Badge
Re: yield [#permalink] New post 13 Jun 2010, 07:27
This post received
KUDOS
Here is an explanation for the difference between "because" and "in that" :

[Reveal] Spoiler:
Cause and effect relationship: I went to sleep because I was tired. ==> Being tired caused me to go to sleep.

Qualification: Going to college is a sacrifice in that doing so requires several years of forgoing the income that students could have earned had they not attended college. ==> Going to college is a sacrifice, BUT NOT IN EVERY WAY; there are many ways in which going to college is NOT a sacrifice, but in this sentence, I want to express one way in which going to college IS a sacrifice.

Here we have a cause and effect relationship and should thus choose "because". This eliminates A and B.

E. We have "varies" and in this choice we have "could produce". This is not preferable, because it affects the cause-effect relationship. Also "dependent" is an adjective and changes the meaning again, by suggesting that the tree needs support from its climate and size.

D. "Being dependent on" is awkward and changes the meaning.

C. Perfect!
Director
Director
Status: Impossible is not a fact. It's an opinion. It's a dare. Impossible is nothing.
Affiliations: Chicago Booth Class of 2015
Followers: 14

Kudos [?]: 409 [0], given: 36

Re: yield [#permalink] New post 13 Jun 2010, 07:37
A is wrong because "on" is in wrong place.

both on x and on y : correct
on both x and on y : wrong (on both its size and on climate and altitude)

Please press kudos if you like my post.

4 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 89 [4] , given: 26

Re: yield [#permalink] New post 01 Jul 2010, 13:34
This post received
KUDOS
enough

A. enormously in that a single tree, depending on both its size and on climate and
altitude, could produce --> "on both X and on Y" should just be "both on X and on Y"
B. enormously in that a single tree, dependent on its size and also on climate and altitude, is able to produce --> modifier (noun + prepositional phrase) doesn't make sense modifying the noun, tree... tree is not dependent on its size.
C. enormously, because a single tree, depending on its size and on climate and altitude, is
able to produce --> correct, "depending" used correctly; parallelism kept, "on X and on Y"; "is able to ..." is usually ok, but "can produce" is preferred.
D. enormously, because a single tree, being dependent on its size, climate, and altitude, is
capable of producing --> "being dependent" is trying to say that the size DEPENDS on the tree. illogical
E. enormously, because a single tree, dependent both on its size as well as on climate
and altitude, could produce --> both on X as well as on is an faulty idiom. should use both on X AND on Y

kudos if you like me (or my post) :P

Manager
Manager
Concentration: Operations, Strategy
GMAT 1: 720 Q50 V36
GPA: 3.28
WE: Project Management (Manufacturing)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 14

Re: yield [#permalink] New post 16 Oct 2011, 05:59
adalfu wrote:
enough

altitude, could produce --> "on both X and on Y" should just be "both on X and on Y"
B. enormously in that a single tree, dependent on its size and also on climate and altitude, is able to produce --> modifier (noun + prepositional phrase) doesn't make sense modifying the noun, tree... tree is not dependent on its size.
able to produce --> correct, "depending" used correctly; parallelism kept, "on X and on Y"; "is able to ..." is usually ok, but "can produce" is preferred.
capable of producing --> "being dependent" is trying to say that the size DEPENDS on the tree. illogical
and altitude, could produce --> both on X as well as on is an faulty idiom. should use both on X AND on Y

I also got C, but took so much time , because I was confused, because C states:: " depending on size, on climate and altitude." ON "is present before the first and second item, but not before the third...

[caption=]Remember: Anything that can go wrong, will go wrong.[/caption]

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 12

Re: yield [#permalink] New post 29 Oct 2011, 19:42
noboru wrote:
enough

altitude, could produce
B. enormously in that a single tree, dependent on its size and also on climate and
altitude, is able to produce
able to produce
capable of producing
and altitude, could produce

+1 for C. Could you please tell the OA ?
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 3

Re: The yield per acre of coffee berries varies enormously in [#permalink] New post 31 Oct 2011, 22:31
I was confused between "able to " and "could".
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: The yield per acre of coffee berries varies enormously in [#permalink] New post 01 Nov 2011, 17:57
C:
Game is b/w A and C.
In both is confusing and "in that a" looks awkward.
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 600 Q48 V25
GMAT 2: 660 Q50 V29
GMAT 3: 690 Q49 V34
GPA: 3.2
WE: Engineering (Computer Software)
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 28 [0], given: 166

Re: yield [#permalink] New post 20 Nov 2011, 23:20
adalfu wrote:
enough

great explanation ! thanks :)

Didn't give up !!! Still Trying!!

SVP
SVP
Followers: 266

Kudos [?]: 59 [0], given: 0

Premium Member
Re: The yield per acre of coffee berries varies enormously in [#permalink] New post 13 Jun 2014, 22:02
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 67

Re: The yield per acre of coffee berries varies enormously in [#permalink] New post 14 Jun 2014, 01:34
A fails the parallelism - on both X and on y whereas it must be both on X and on Y ...
Option C is correct and conveys the intended meaning.....
Re: The yield per acre of coffee berries varies enormously in   [#permalink] 14 Jun 2014, 01:34