Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 21 Oct 2014, 07:27

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Theater Critic: The play La Finestrina, now at

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 137 [0], given: 63

Theater Critic: The play La Finestrina, now at [#permalink] New post 22 Dec 2012, 07:53
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

75% (hard)

Question Stats:

50% (02:17) correct 50% (01:24) wrong based on 34 sessions
Theater Critic: The play La Finestrina, now at CentralTheater, was written in Italy in the eighteenth century. The director claims that this production is as similar to the original production as is possible in a modern theater. Although the actor who plays Harlequin the clown gives a performance very reminiscent of the twentieth-century American comedian Groucho Marx, Marx’s comic style was very much within the comic acting tradition that had begun in sixteenth-century Italy.

The considerations given best serve as part of an argument that

(A) modern audiences would fi nd it hard to tolerate certain characteristics of a historically accurate performance of an eighteenth-century play
(B) Groucho Marx once performed the part of the character Harlequin in La Finestrina
(C) in the United States the training of actors in the twentieth century is based on principles that do not differ radically from those that underlay the training of actors in eighteenth-century Italy
(D) the performance of the actor who plays Harlequin in La Finestrina does not serve as evidence against the director’s claim
(E) the director of La Finestrina must have advised the actor who plays Harlequin to model his performance on comic performances of Groucho Marx

Is this an assumption question? How would you classify this question?
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA
Expert Post
2 KUDOS received
Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor
Followers: 1151

Kudos [?]: 5348 [2] , given: 165

Re: Theater Critic: The play La Finestrina, now at Central [#permalink] New post 25 Dec 2012, 22:50
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
nelz007 wrote:
Theater Critic: The play La Finestrina, now at CentralTheater, was written in Italy in the eighteenth century. The director claims that this production is as similar to the original production as is possible in a modern theater. Although the actor who plays Harlequin the clown gives a performance very reminiscent of the twentieth-century American comedian Groucho Marx, Marx’s comic style was very much within the comic acting tradition that had begun in sixteenth-century Italy.

(A) modern audiences would fi nd it hard to tolerate certain characteristics of a historically accurate performance of an eighteenth-century play
(B) Groucho Marx once performed the part of the character Harlequin in La Finestrina
(C) in the United States the training of actors in the twentieth century is based on principles that do not differ radically from those that underlay the training of actors in eighteenth-century Italy
(D) the performance of the actor who plays Harlequin in La Finestrina does not serve as evidence against the director’s claim
(E) the director of La Finestrina must have advised the actor who plays Harlequin to model his performance on comic performances of Groucho Marx

Responding to a pm:

It is an inference/conclusion question.

Question stem: The considerations given best serve as part of an argument that

What this means: The given argument supports the argument that ... i.e. the information given to us will best be a part of which of the following arguments? i.e. what is the author trying to say by giving you this information?

Karishma
Veritas Prep | GMAT Instructor
My Blog

Save $100 on Veritas Prep GMAT Courses And Admissions Consulting
Enroll now. Pay later. Take advantage of Veritas Prep's flexible payment plan options.

Veritas Prep Reviews

Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor
Followers: 1151

Kudos [?]: 5348 [1] , given: 165

Re: Theater Critic: The play La Finestrina, now at [#permalink] New post 28 Jan 2013, 19:56
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
thangvietnam wrote:
I do not know what to look for in answer choices. this question is hard because we do not know what to do with answer choices.

what is purpose of this consideration?

is the type of question here

As I said above, it is an inference/conclusion question. The wording of the question is a little typical, I agree, and you need to put in some effort to figure out what it means. The gist of the question is: what is the author trying to say by giving you this information? What can you infer/conclude from the given argument?

Argument:
The play La Finestrina was written in Italy in the eighteenth century.
The director claims that this production is as similar to the original production (18th century production).
Although the actor who plays Harlequin gives a performance very reminiscent of the twentieth-century comedian Groucho Marx, Marx’s comic style had begun in sixteenth-century Italy.
(So basically, Harlequin's performance reminds one of Marx's style but Marx's used a style that had originated in the 16th century. So Harlequin's performance is old style)

Which of the following can we conclude:

No such info available. The argument says that it may not be possible to replicate the play exactly but why, we do not know. Is it because of the technology or actors or audience, we cannot say.

No such info given

The argument only talks about one particular 20th century actor, Marx, not about actors in general. So we cannot say this.

The director claims that his production is similar to the original 18th century production. Even though the performance of the guy who plays Harlequin reminds us of Marx, the 20th century comedian, his style was old school. Hence, the guy's style was old school. So his performance is not evidence against the director's claim. True. Hence this is the answer.

We don't know who told the actor to model his performance on Marx or whether he did it on his own or whether his style is actually similar to Marx's.

Karishma
Veritas Prep | GMAT Instructor
My Blog

Save $100 on Veritas Prep GMAT Courses And Admissions Consulting
Enroll now. Pay later. Take advantage of Veritas Prep's flexible payment plan options.

Veritas Prep Reviews

Director
Director
GMAT 1: 640 Q43 V34
GMAT 2: 630 Q47 V29
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 32 [0], given: 562

Re: Theater Critic: The play La Finestrina, now at Central [#permalink] New post 24 Dec 2012, 07:37
These are those types of questions which are difficult to classify.Problem is that it takes around 20 secs more when we cannot classify..

Guess this is an assumption Question.

hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things. And no good thing ever dies.

Who says you need a 700 ?Check this out : http://gmatclub.com/forum/who-says-you-need-a-149706.html#p1201595

My GMAT Journey : end-of-my-gmat-journey-149328.html#p1197992

Current Student
Affiliations: NYK Line
GMAT 1: 410 Q35 V11
GMAT 2: 530 Q44 V20
GMAT 3: 630 Q45 V31
GPA: 3.84
WE: Engineering (Transportation)
Followers: 31

Kudos [?]: 273 [0], given: 67

Re: Theater Critic: The play La Finestrina, now at Central [#permalink] New post 24 Dec 2012, 11:15
nelz007 wrote:

Hi nelz
Seeing your post after long time.......
Well I think its not an assumption question I think that a Claim is presented in the question by the director that he tried to present the play very similar to its old version. This try was max he could do in the modern day. Than A character is described saying that his role is very similar to one of the characters in the old version of the play. Hence the director's claim is not justified because of the acting of the character, who acted in similar lines to his counterpart of the old version.
Now as per the question "The considerations given best serve as part of an argument that" You have to find an option that matches to the truth of director's thinking. This thought is of the author about the director's statement in the light of the evidence presented . hence this is not an assumption question but a type of flaw in the reasoning, this flaw you have to find in director's statement using the evidence presented in the question.
Hope its clear!!!!!!!!!!!

----------------------------------------------
Consider Kudos, If my post helped!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 137 [0], given: 63

Re: Theater Critic: The play La Finestrina, now at Central [#permalink] New post 24 Dec 2012, 21:18
Archit143 wrote:
nelz007 wrote:

Hi nelz
Seeing your post after long time.......
Well I think its not an assumption question I think that a Claim is presented in the question by the director that he tried to present the play very similar to its old version. This try was max he could do in the modern day. Than A character is described saying that his role is very similar to one of the characters in the old version of the play. Hence the director's claim is not justified because of the acting of the character, who acted in similar lines to his counterpart of the old version.
Now as per the question "The considerations given best serve as part of an argument that" You have to find an option that matches to the truth of director's thinking. This thought is of the author about the director's statement in the light of the evidence presented . hence this is not an assumption question but a type of flaw in the reasoning, this flaw you have to find in director's statement using the evidence presented in the question.
Hope its clear!!!!!!!!!!!

----------------------------------------------
Consider Kudos, If my post helped!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Haha yeah! haven't been very active on forums lately... so it can't be classified into a category? I don't think any other OG question have this particular question stem. I didn't find the question tough but time consuming would be nice to have a good strategy on how to approach these questions.

Have you seen this question stem anywhere else?
Current Student
Affiliations: NYK Line
GMAT 1: 410 Q35 V11
GMAT 2: 530 Q44 V20
GMAT 3: 630 Q45 V31
GPA: 3.84
WE: Engineering (Transportation)
Followers: 31

Kudos [?]: 273 [0], given: 67

Re: Theater Critic: The play La Finestrina, now at Central [#permalink] New post 25 Dec 2012, 07:52
I cannnot recall exactly...bt fr sure if i see i ll post on the forum...
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 30 [0], given: 39

Re: Theater Critic: The play La Finestrina, now at [#permalink] New post 28 Jan 2013, 03:21
I do not know what to look for in answer choices. this question is hard because we do not know what to do with answer choices.

what is purpose of this consideration?

is the type of question here
Re: Theater Critic: The play La Finestrina, now at   [#permalink] 28 Jan 2013, 03:21