Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 25 Oct 2014, 08:12

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Theater Critic: The play La Finestrina, now at Central

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 0

Theater Critic: The play La Finestrina, now at Central [#permalink] New post 12 Dec 2010, 23:07
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

65% (hard)

Question Stats:

58% (02:51) correct 42% (01:55) wrong based on 457 sessions
Theater Critic: The play La Finestrina, now at Central Theater, was written in Italy in the eighteenth century. The
director claims that this production is as similar to the original production as is possible in a modern theater.
Although the actor who plays Harlequin the clown gives a performance very reminiscent of the twentieth-century
American comedian Groucho Marx, Marx’s comic style was very much within the comic acting tradition that had
begun in sixteenth-century Italy.
The considerations given best serve as part of an argument that
(A) modern audiences would fi nd it hard to tolerate certain characteristics of a historically accurate
performance of an eighteenth-century play
(B) Groucho Marx once performed the part of the character Harlequin in La Finestrina
(C) in the United States the training of actors in the twentieth century is based on principles that do not differ
radically from those that underlay the training of actors in eighteenth-century Italy
(D) the performance of the actor who plays Harlequin in La Finestrina does not serve as evidence against the
director’s claim
(E) the director of La Finestrina must have advised the actor who plays Harlequin to model his performance on
comic performances of Groucho Marx

can anyone give a simple stucture of this argument?
which is premise, which is conclusion?
how can i analyse the logical chain?
thanks so much
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA
Verbal Forum Moderator
Verbal Forum Moderator
WE 1: 4 years Tech
Followers: 10

Kudos [?]: 73 [0], given: 149

Re: The play La Finestrina_OG [#permalink] New post 13 Dec 2010, 03:37
I got this wrong.
I am confused abt the conclusion.
The critic says "Although the actor who plays Harlequin the clown gives a performance very reminiscent of the twentieth-century
American comedian Groucho Marx, Marx’s comic style was very much within the comic acting tradition that had
begun in sixteenth-century Italy."
This statement seems to convey that "the actor did not prerform according to the traditions prevalent in the 18th century"
Although the actor gives a performance reminiscent of the 20th century,the performance was not in keeping with the traditions of the 18th century.
The critics conclusion seems to be implicit.I dont think he agress with the director's claim. then How can D be the answer . D seems to be the opposite of what the critic seems to be conveying

My Post Invites Discussions not answers
Try to give back something to the Forum.I want your explanations, right now !
Please let me know your opinion about the Chandigarh Gmat Centrehttp://gmatclub.com/forum/gmat-experience-at-chandigarh-india-centre-111830.html

7 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 44 [7] , given: 30

Re: The play La Finestrina_OG [#permalink] New post 13 Dec 2010, 06:07
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
courtdancer wrote:
Theater Critic: The play La Finestrina, now at Central Theater, was written in Italy in the eighteenth century. The
director claims that this production is as similar to the original production as is possible in a modern theater.
Although the actor who plays Harlequin the clown gives a performance very reminiscent of the twentieth-century
(A) modern audiences would fi nd it hard to tolerate certain characteristics of a historically accurate
(B) Groucho Marx once performed the part of the character Harlequin in La Finestrina
(C) in the United States the training of actors in the twentieth century is based on principles that do not differ
radically from those that underlay the training of actors in eighteenth-century Italy
(D) the performance of the actor who plays Harlequin in La Finestrina does not serve as evidence against the
director’s claim
(E) the director of La Finestrina must have advised the actor who plays Harlequin to model his performance on

thanks so much

Simple terms. A play that was staged in the 18th century is running in a theatre. The director says "I have tried to retain max originality that can be done in a modern theatre." But one actor(comedian) is imitating styles of a 20th century actor.

So there is a direct contradiction saying that 18th century originality is lost

But the 20th century actors style dates to the 16th century, which means that the comedian's act does not contradict the say of the director, as the comedian is imitating the 16th century style.

Hope this helps

Gonna make it this time

Verbal Forum Moderator
Verbal Forum Moderator

Re: The play La Finestrina_OG [#permalink] New post 13 Dec 2010, 06:14
mailnavin1 wrote:
courtdancer wrote:
director’s claim

thanks so much

Simple terms. A play that was staged in the 18th century is running in a theatre. The director says "I have tried to retain max originality that can be done in a modern theatre." But one actor(comedian) is imitating styles of a 20th century actor.

But the 20th century actors style dates to the 16th century, which means that the comedian's act does not contradict the say of the director, as the comedian is imitating the 16th century style.

Hope this helps

So is the critic supporting the directors claim or criticizing the director's claim.

Please let me know your opinion about the Chandigarh Gmat Centrehttp://gmatclub.com/forum/gmat-experience-at-chandigarh-india-centre-111830.html

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: Strategy, Marketing
Schools: Michigan (Ross) - Class of 2014
GMAT 1: 730 Q49 V39
GPA: 3.13
WE: Corporate Finance (Aerospace and Defense)
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 43 [0], given: 46

Re: The play La Finestrina_OG [#permalink] New post 13 Dec 2010, 06:37
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 44 [0], given: 30

Re: The play La Finestrina_OG [#permalink] New post 13 Dec 2010, 06:54
mundasingh123 wrote:
mailnavin1 wrote:
courtdancer wrote:
director’s claim

thanks so much

Hope this helps

So is the critic supporting the directors claim or criticizing the director's claim.

See the word Although, Critic provides an evidence that support the directors claim.

Gonna make it this time

Verbal Forum Moderator
Verbal Forum Moderator

Re: The play La Finestrina_OG [#permalink] New post 13 Dec 2010, 12:22
mailnavin1 wrote:
mundasingh123 wrote:
[So is the critic supporting the directors claim or criticizing the director's claim.

See the word Although, Critic provides an evidence that support the directors claim.

I assumed all a critic is supposed to do is criticize

1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 44 [1] , given: 30

Re: The play La Finestrina_OG [#permalink] New post 13 Dec 2010, 19:43
This post received
KUDOS
Not necessary, a person who identifies merits and detest error and points them out on a work of art is a critic.

Like the Anton Ego in Ratatouille :lol:

Gonna make it this time

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
WE 1: Business Development
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 35 [0], given: 161

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: The play La Finestrina_OG [#permalink] New post 20 Feb 2011, 11:08
geesh, nice dude.+1 mailnavin1

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Manager
Manager
Concentration: Real Estate, Finance
Schools: MIT (Sloan) - Class of 2014
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V44
Followers: 33

Kudos [?]: 501 [0], given: 70

Re: The play La Finestrina_OG [#permalink] New post 20 Feb 2011, 18:13
I chose D.
Director
Director
Affiliations: Chicago Booth Class of 2015
Followers: 11

Kudos [?]: 200 [0], given: 123

Reviews Badge
Re: The play La Finestrina_OG [#permalink] New post 20 Feb 2011, 19:40
(B) is very funny. GMAT writers are not the very best !
Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 85 [0], given: 51

Re: The play La Finestrina_OG [#permalink] New post 27 Apr 2011, 06:52
these questions are taking quite some time to think . D is the answer but i took 3 minutes to crack this one :(

What is of supreme importance in war is to attack the enemy's strategy.

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: Technology, General Management
GPA: 3.75
WE: Sales (Telecommunications)
Followers: 9

Kudos [?]: 25 [0], given: 282

Re: Theater Critic: The play La Finestrina, now at Central [#permalink] New post 25 Mar 2013, 10:51
This is an inference question. Ans D it is the rest all cannot be concluded from the given argument.

I've failed over and over and over again in my life and that is why I succeed--Michael Jordan
Kudos drives a person to better himself every single time. So Pls give it generously
Wont give up till i hit a 700+

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 57

Re: Theater Critic: The play La Finestrina, now at Central [#permalink] New post 13 Apr 2013, 07:09
I would go for D -

Original play - 18th century
Groucho's acting - 20th century but technique from 16th century
Director wants - a Modern take on an old play retaining the original style.
Actor - Uses Marx's 16th century acting.

So, since the actor apes a 20th century actor (Groucho), who actually uses 16th century acting, the actor is,in a way, using older techniques which are closer to how the original play might have been performed.

Groucho (20th century actor) -> uses 16th century acting
Actor -> uses Groucho's 16th century acting

Director Wins the argument.. :wink: :wink:
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 25

Re: Theater Critic: The play La Finestrina, now at Central [#permalink] New post 24 May 2013, 06:14

Tolerance aspect never mentioned...Incorrect.

Never mentioned that Marx played the part of the charac. Harlequin....Incorrect.

Never mentioned.....Incorrect.

director’s claim

Correct....could be inferred....the actor acts like Marx...but no mention is he really acts well like the character...so no evidnce!

Couldn't be infrd if the director ever advised....Incorrect
SVP
SVP
Followers: 279

Kudos [?]: 67 [0], given: 0

Premium Member
Re: Theater Critic: The play La Finestrina, now at Central [#permalink] New post 29 May 2014, 01:19
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
Re: Theater Critic: The play La Finestrina, now at Central   [#permalink] 29 May 2014, 01:19