Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 25 Jul 2014, 03:29

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Thelonious Monk, who was a jazz pianist and composer,

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 0

Thelonious Monk, who was a jazz pianist and composer, [#permalink] New post 28 Jun 2007, 06:26
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

35% (medium)

Question Stats:

53% (01:52) correct 47% (01:06) wrong based on 217 sessions
Thelonious Monk, who was a jazz pianist and composer, produced a body of work both rooted in the stride-piano tradition of Willie (The Lion) Smith and Duke Ellington, yet in many ways he stood apart from the mainstream jazz repertory.

A. Thelonious Monk, who was a jazz pianist and composer, produced a body of work both rooted
B. Thelonious Monk, the jazz pianist and composer, produced a body of work that was rooted both
C. Jazz pianist and composer Thelonious Monk, who produced a body of work rooted
D. Jazz pianist and composer Thelonious Monk produced a body of work that was rooted
E. Jazz pianist and composer Thelonious Monk produced a body of work rooted both

Please explain ur answers..!
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

Last edited by pqhai on 29 Aug 2013, 23:09, edited 2 times in total.
Edit the format.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 28 Jun 2007, 06:51
both is not needed, Monk's work is rooted in only the stride-piano tradition, thus eliminate A, B and E.

C. Jazz pianist and composer Thelonious Monk, who produced a body of work rooted

D. Jazz pianist and composer Thelonious Monk produced a body of work that was rooted

hence, D is the answer.
CEO
CEO
Followers: 54

Kudos [?]: 425 [0], given: 210

GMAT Tests User
Re: SC-Thelonious Monk [#permalink] New post 28 Jun 2007, 07:05
Going to try this by elimination. The first thing to look out here is the keyword for idiom "both". "both A and B" is the correct idiom. This eliminates A because of idiom error. In fact I get the feeling the the usage of 'both' is incorrect altogether here, since with 'both A and B' , A and B need to be at least somewhat parallel. In this case they are not. Thus eliminate B and E.

C just doesnt read correctly for me. Consider this :
Jazz pianist and composer Thelonious Monk, who produced a body of work rooted in the stride-piano tradition of Willie (The Lion) Smith and Duke Ellington, yet in
many ways he stood apart from the mainstream jazz repertory.

The 'he' is pretty ambiguous here.

Thus I will go with D.

circkit wrote:
Thelonious Monk, who was a jazz pianist and composer, produced a body of work both
rooted in the stride-piano tradition of Willie (The Lion) Smith and Duke Ellington, yet in
A. Thelonious Monk, who was a jazz pianist and composer, produced a body of work both rooted
B. Thelonious Monk, the jazz pianist and composer, produced a body of work that was rooted both
E. Jazz pianist and composer Thelonious Monk produced a body of work rooted both

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 28 Jun 2007, 14:42
Was confused b/w B and D .

But it is the "tradition of both The smith and Duke eglinton" rather than
both in tradition of the smith and duke eglington".

My sat D.

~sara
Director
Director
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 36 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 28 Jun 2007, 16:56
D. correct idiom: "both x and y" or "both in x and in y".
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 28 Jun 2007, 20:30
Thelonious Monk, who was a jazz pianist and composer, produced a body of work both rooted in the stride-piano tradition of Willie (The Lion) Smith and Duke Ellington, yet in many ways he stood apart from the mainstream jazz repertory.

Underlined the question. Please underline before you post.

for every person who doesn't try because he is
afraid of loosing , there is another person who
keeps making mistakes and succeeds..

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 01 Jul 2007, 10:15
OA is "D"
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 4

Re: SC-Thelonious Monk [#permalink] New post 26 Aug 2010, 10:25
D is the answer because "both" is meaningless here and is not idiomatically correct.
Manager
Manager
WE 1: 4.6 years Exp IT prof
Followers: 8

Kudos [?]: 43 [0], given: 36

Re: SC-Thelonious Monk [#permalink] New post 26 Aug 2010, 10:45

In this both is not required at all
Hence A,B and E are out
that gives us C and D
C somehow does not sound right it suggest as if Thelonious Monk was rooted and not the work
Hence answer should D

I will give a Fight till the End

"To dream anything that you want to dream, that is the beauty of the human mind. To do anything that you want to do, that is the strength of the human will. To trust yourself, to test your limits, that is the courage to succeed."
- Bernard Edmonds

A person who is afraid of Failure can never succeed -- Amneet Padda

Don't Forget to give the KUDOS

Manager
Manager
GPA: 3.89

Kudos [?]: 35 [0], given: 25

GMAT Tests User
Re: SC-Thelonious Monk [#permalink] New post 27 May 2011, 12:34
This one is a tough one ..
Is this 780+ Question ?

Even the wrong options needs good effort to be eliminated.

If you liked my post, please consider a Kudos for me. Thanks!

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 11

Re: SC-Thelonious Monk [#permalink] New post 05 Jun 2011, 20:02
Answer is D, It is OG 12 Q 88

who cases can be removed as other cases are simple hence A & C
similar to who appositives can also be ignored hence B

Between D & E it is tough
approach 1 - after both "x and y" are not parallel .. stride piano .. and duke .., so both will not work in this case
approach 2 - both is not required as body of work is rooted in stride piano tradition only
if it were written "body of work is rooted in both stride piano of tradition and dancing tradition" then it could have been correct

Hence D.. Yea it is tough one
Manager
Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 30 [0], given: 39

GMAT Tests User
Re: SC-Thelonious Monk [#permalink] New post 27 Aug 2011, 12:29
both is incorrectly used here. Hence, only C and D remain. C is a fragment and not a complete sentence. Hence, D is the answer.

Hope this post helps! :)
Your kudos will let me know.

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 5

Re: SC-Thelonious Monk [#permalink] New post 28 Aug 2011, 23:42
D...rooted both is unnecessary

Shake the Pillars of Heaven!!!

Manager
Manager
GMAT 1: 650 Q49 V30
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)

Kudos [?]: 25 [0], given: 25

GMAT Tests User Reviews Badge
Re: SC-Thelonious Monk [#permalink] New post 29 Aug 2011, 03:09
'both' is not needed. D is the right answer.

Working towards a goal...
V.

Intern
Intern
Schools: Tepper '16 (S)

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 19

Re: Thelonious Monk, who was a jazz pianist and composer, [#permalink] New post 20 Apr 2013, 21:45
rakeshd347 wrote:
circkit wrote:
Thelonious Monk, who was a jazz pianist and composer, produced a body of work both
rooted in the stride-piano tradition of Willie (The Lion) Smith and Duke Ellington, yet in

D is the correct answer here…

A B and E are out because of "both"
C uses unnecessary "who"….it looks awkward.

D is the correct answer here.

Hi ,
Even i found out D to be right but i have a concern in sentence D , there should be a "," after jazz pianist and composer .

Jazz pianist and composer , Theologist --- indicates that this guy was both jazz pianist and composer
Jazz Pianist and composer Theologist -- i get a notion that there are 2 persons.

And HE in the clause again confuses me. Can someone explain this please?
Director
Director
Concentration: General Management, General Management
Schools: IIM A '15
GMAT 1: 630 Q47 V29
GMAT 2: 680 Q50 V32
GPA: 3.7
Followers: 11

Kudos [?]: 161 [0], given: 299

Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: Thelonious Monk, who was a jazz pianist and composer, [#permalink] New post 09 May 2013, 20:52
venkat18290 wrote:
rakeshd347 wrote:
circkit wrote:

D is the correct answer here…

A B and E are out because of "both"
C uses unnecessary "who"….it looks awkward.

D is the correct answer here.

Hi ,
Even i found out D to be right but i have a concern in sentence D , there should be a "," after jazz pianist and composer .

Jazz pianist and composer , Theologist --- indicates that this guy was both jazz pianist and composer
Jazz Pianist and composer Theologist -- i get a notion that there are 2 persons.

And HE in the clause again confuses me. Can someone explain this please?

Hi,

When you don't use an article while describing noun's occupation or what it does you don't use a comma as in the case above:

Jazz Pianist and composer Theologist

However when you use an article with noun's occupation or what it does you will require a comma to describe noun:

A jazz pianist and a composer, Theologist

Hope it helps

Rgds,
TGC

Rgds,
TGC!

Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
GMAT Pill Instructor
Followers: 278

Kudos [?]: 612 [1] , given: 5

Re: Thelonious Monk, who was a jazz pianist and composer, [#permalink] New post 16 Aug 2013, 11:33
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
If you use "BOTH" the sentence structure would have to be:
"that was rooted both in X....and ...in Y"

We have:
"that was rooted both in [the stride-piano tradition of these guys], yet in many ways.."

WHERE is Y?

Note the "and" between "Willie and Duke Ellington" isn't part of the same structure. You would need the word "IN" or some other prepositional phrase like "both IN X and ON Y"---simply have the word "and" without the correct structure is NOT what we want.

SO there is no X&Y consistency here so it's no good. Specifically, the word "BOTH" is no good.

There's nothing wrong with "the jazz pianist and composer" - it's just that if you see other answer choices that say the same exact thing but in fewer words, then you want the other guy. "THE jazz pianist and composer" can be simplified to "Jazz pianist and composer" without sacrificing any meaning.

... and more

Image What's Inside GMAT Pill?

Zeke Lee, GMAT Pill Study Method (Study Less. Score More.)

GMAT Pill Reviews | GMAT PILL Free Practice Test

3 KUDOS received
Verbal Forum Moderator
Verbal Forum Moderator
Followers: 112

Kudos [?]: 1096 [3] , given: 118

Re: Thelonious Monk, who was a jazz pianist and composer, [#permalink] New post 29 Aug 2013, 23:05
This post received
KUDOS
2013gmat wrote:
Hi Buddy,

thelonious-monk-who-was-a-jazz-pianist-and-composer-47937.html

In this question could you please let me know If I have to choose between
1)rooted
2)was rooted

then which one should I choose??

Thanks for your help :)

Main problem of this sentence is PARALLELISM: idiom: both X and Y --> X and Y must be parallel.

Wrong. Not parallel: both rooted in the stride-piano tradition of Willie Smith and Duke Ellington

Wrong. Same as in A. rooted both in the stride-piano tradition of Willie Smith and Duke Ellington

Wrong. A clause "who produced a body......" is MODIFIER ==> It means if you eliminate it, the sentence is still sensible. Let try:
Jazz pianist and composer Thelonious Monk, who produced a body of work rooted in the stride-piano tradition of Willie (The Lion) Smith and Duke Ellington, yet in many ways he stood apart from the mainstream jazz repertory..
==> The red part is not a sentence. --> Wrong.
The green part is a complete sentence with S and V.

Correct.

Wrong. Same problem as in A and B. rooted both in the stride-piano tradition of Willie Smith and Duke Ellington

Hope it helps.

Please +1 KUDO if my post helps. Thank you.

"Designing cars consumes you; it has a hold on your spirit which is incredibly powerful. It's not something you can do part time, you have do it with all your heart and soul or you're going to get it wrong."

Chris Bangle - Former BMV Chief of Design.

Manager
Manager
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
GMAT Date: 05-01-2014
GPA: 3.5
WE: Consulting (Computer Hardware)

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 33

Re: Thelonious Monk, who was a jazz pianist and composer, [#permalink] New post 08 Dec 2013, 09:42

Doesn't this sound like there were two persons who actually produced a body of work i.e. jazz pianist and another one is composer Thelonious monk.

(though I see "he" in later part of the sentence)

Please help me understand this
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Operations, Strategy
GPA: 3.3
WE: Engineering (Computer Software)

Kudos [?]: 25 [0], given: 240

CAT Tests
Re: Thelonious Monk, who was a jazz pianist and composer, [#permalink] New post 20 Apr 2014, 10:28
email2vm wrote:

Doesn't this sound like there were two persons who actually produced a body of work i.e. jazz pianist and another one is composer Thelonious monk.

(though I see "he" in later part of the sentence)

Please help me understand this

Jazz pianist XYZ and composer Thelonious Monk -> these are two people.

Jazz pianist and composer -> modifies Thelonious Monk.

Thanks,
Kinjal
Never Give Up !!!

Please click on Kudos, if you think the post is helpful

Re: Thelonious Monk, who was a jazz pianist and composer,   [#permalink] 20 Apr 2014, 10:28