Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 21 Oct 2014, 06:14

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

There are 100 freshmen at a particular college, all of whom

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 3

There are 100 freshmen at a particular college, all of whom [#permalink] New post 10 Jan 2013, 16:44
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

95% (hard)

Question Stats:

36% (04:23) correct 64% (03:36) wrong based on 183 sessions
There are 100 freshmen at a particular college, all of whom must take at least one of the three core classes: Art, Biology, and Calculus. Of these freshmen, 17 take only Biology, 10 take only Calculus, 5 take all three classes, and 20 take Art and exactly one of the other two core classes. If the number of freshmen who take only Art is 3 times the number of freshmen who take every core class except Art, how many freshmen take Art?

(A) 25
(B) 32
(C) 36
(D) 48
(E) 61
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

Last edited by Bunuel on 11 Jan 2013, 03:20, edited 1 time in total.
Renamed the topic and edited the question.
Expert Post
4 KUDOS received
Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor
Followers: 1151

Kudos [?]: 5348 [4] , given: 165

Re: Overlapping Sets - Freshman at a College [#permalink] New post 10 Jan 2013, 20:53
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
This post was
BOOKMARKED
skiingforthewknds wrote:
There are 100 freshmen at a particular college, all of whom must take at least one of the three core classes: Art, Biology, and Calculus. Of these freshmen, 17 take only Biology, 10 take only Calculus, 5 take all three classes, and 20 take Art and exactly one of the other two core classes. If the number of freshmen who take only Art is 3 times the number of freshmen who take every core class except Art, how many freshmen take Art?

(A) 25

(B) 32

(C) 36

(D) 48

(E) 61

Make a venn diagram to get a clear picture. Look at the diagram:
Each letter represents only one color. b represents the people who take only Art. d represents people who take only Art and Bio etc.

Attachment:
Ques3.jpg
Ques3.jpg [ 18.68 KiB | Viewed 2665 times ]

d + f = 20 (People who take Art and one other class)
b = 3e (people who take only Art is 3 times the people who take Bio and Calculus)
17 + 10 + 5 + b + d + e + f = 100 (Total people)
b + b/3 = 48
b = 36

Number of freshmen who take Art = 36 + 20 + 5 = 61

Karishma
Veritas Prep | GMAT Instructor
My Blog

Save $100 on Veritas Prep GMAT Courses And Admissions Consulting
Enroll now. Pay later. Take advantage of Veritas Prep's flexible payment plan options.

Veritas Prep Reviews

Intern
Intern
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 9

Re: Overlapping Sets - Freshman at a College [#permalink] New post 12 Jan 2013, 15:36
VeritasPrepKarishma wrote:
skiingforthewknds wrote:

(A) 25

(B) 32

(C) 36

(D) 48

(E) 61

Make a venn diagram to get a clear picture. Look at the diagram:
Each letter represents only one color. b represents the people who take only Art. d represents people who take only Art and Bio etc.

Attachment:
Ques3.jpg

d + f = 20 (People who take Art and one other class)
b = 3e (people who take only Art is 3 times the people who take Bio and Calculus)
17 + 10 + 5 + b + d + e + f = 100 (Total people)
b + b/3 = 48
b = 36

Number of freshmen who take Art = 36 + 20 + 5 = 61

Hello Karishma, very nice job with this question.
I solved by using the formula below and got the same answer.

Total = (# in A + # in B + # in C) - (# enrolled in 2 courses) - 2(# enrolled in 3 courses) + (# in 0 courses)

Because of all the variables, solving the problem using the formula took me too much time. Your approach is far better! Could you describe a situation when you would be required to use the formula above or will the method you used always be appropriate?

Thanks
7 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V47
GPA: 3.89
Followers: 11

Kudos [?]: 49 [7] , given: 13

Re: There are 100 freshmen at a particular college, all of whom [#permalink] New post 12 Jan 2013, 21:57
This post received
KUDOS
During an actual exam I would not even introduce any letters.

100 - 17 - 10 - 5 - 20 = 48 students take either only Art or only Biology and Calculus.

Dividing 48 in proportion 3:1, we conclude that 48*3/4=36 students take only Art.

Thus, we get 36 + 20 + 5 = 61.
(Only Art, Art and one course, Art and two courses, respectively.)

Sergey Orshanskiy, Ph.D.
I tutor in NYC: http://www.wyzant.com/Tutors/NY/New-Yor ... ref=1RKFOZ

Expert Post
1 KUDOS received

Kudos [?]: 5348 [1] , given: 165

Re: Overlapping Sets - Freshman at a College [#permalink] New post 13 Jan 2013, 22:15
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
holidayhero wrote:

Hello Karishma, very nice job with this question.
I solved by using the formula below and got the same answer.

Total = (# in A + # in B + # in C) - (# enrolled in 2 courses) - 2(# enrolled in 3 courses) + (# in 0 courses)

Because of all the variables, solving the problem using the formula took me too much time. Your approach is far better! Could you describe a situation when you would be required to use the formula above or will the method you used always be appropriate?

Thanks

I use venn diagrams for most sets questions. It's very easy to see the relation between what is given and what is asked when you see it in a venn diagram. The process becomes completely mechanical and quick. There are various ways to represent the formulas in sets and that can get a little messy hence I avoid them.

Check out a post I wrote sometime back on overlapping sets:
http://www.veritasprep.com/blog/2012/09 ... ping-sets/

Karishma
My Blog

Enroll now. Pay later. Take advantage of Veritas Prep's flexible payment plan options.

Veritas Prep Reviews

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 63

Re: There are 100 freshmen at a particular college, all of whom [#permalink] New post 21 Nov 2013, 17:55
Where are u Bunnel? ...please suggest any easy way....
Intern
Intern

Re: There are 100 freshmen at a particular college, all of whom [#permalink] New post 21 Nov 2013, 18:04
Hey Karishma ,

Could you please explain ,where from b/3 is derive?
Expert Post
1 KUDOS received

Kudos [?]: 5348 [1] , given: 165

Re: There are 100 freshmen at a particular college, all of whom [#permalink] New post 21 Nov 2013, 20:06
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
taleesh wrote:
Hey Karishma ,

Could you please explain ,where from b/3 is derive?

The question says:
"If the number of freshmen who take only Art is 3 times the number of freshmen who take every core class except Art"

Freshmen who take every class except art are the freshmen who take Bio and Calculus only.
So b = 3e
or e = b/3

Now, Total = 100 = 17 + 10 + 5 + b + d + e + f
100 - 32 = b + (d + f) + e
68 = b + 20 + b/3

(Note that d + f = 20 and e = b/3)

You get b = 36

Karishma
My Blog

Veritas Prep Reviews

Intern
Intern

Re: There are 100 freshmen at a particular college, all of whom [#permalink] New post 23 Nov 2013, 11:46
Thanks a lot Karishma .......kudos to this explanation !!!!!!
Re: There are 100 freshmen at a particular college, all of whom   [#permalink] 23 Nov 2013, 11:46