Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 03:42 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 03:42

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Poor Qualityx      
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 264 [42]
Given Kudos: 24
 Q43  V25 GMAT 2: 590  Q44  V27
GPA: 3.6
WE 1: 5.5+ years IT Prof.
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64907 [10]
Given Kudos: 426
Send PM
General Discussion
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 300 [2]
Given Kudos: 21
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Send PM
Re: There are 6 people at a party sitting at a round table with 6 seats: A [#permalink]
Aj85 wrote:
When items are arranged in circle the permutation formula is (n-1)!

so in this case, let us first calculate total number of ways in which 6 people can be arranged. from permutation formula when items are arranged in circle we have (6-1)! possible permutation. (6-1)! = 120.

But we have restrictions that A cannot seat next to d or F. let us calculate the ways in which A can seat next to D. If AD sits together then 4 other people have to be arranged. so again we have apply permutation formula for 4 items in circular arrangements. we get (4-1)! = 3! =6. so A and D sit next to each other in 6 ways, similarly A and F sit next to each other in 6 ways. so to arrive at our answer we have to subtract ways in which A sits next to D & F from total number of ways these six people are sitting. so our answer is 120- (6 +6) = 108.

Answer C.

A B C D E F can be seated in 5! ways.

When you consider AD as 1, total number of people becomes AD - B - C - E - F --> 5 not 4
Similarly, when AF is 1, total number of people AF B C D E --> 5 not 4

There would also be a case where DAF will sit together, and we have to eliminate that case from the total number of combinations because we have included it twice when A sits with D and F each time.

Please help explain this, your answer may be correct but "If AD sits together then 4 other people have to be arranged" AD as a person has to be arranged too.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 300 [0]
Send PM
Re: There are 6 people at a party sitting at a round table with 6 seats: A [#permalink]
sap wrote:

When you consider AD as 1, total number of people becomes AD - B - C - E - F --> 5 not 4

There would also be a case where DAF will sit together, and we have to eliminate that case from the total number of combinations because we have included it twice when A sits with D and F each time.

Please help explain this, your answer may be correct but "If AD sits together then 4 other people have to be arranged" AD as a person has to be arranged too.

Thanks Sap for pointing out my error, I did rechecked the question . Actually I learned that when it is circular arrangement we subtract 1, so I carelessly subtracted 1 from each and every stage where i had to compute permutation including not counting ad as one item. So the solution will be adcdef = (6-1)! = 120. Then ad-(another 4people) = (5-1)! = 24 similarly AF(another 4 people) = (5-1)! =24. so we have to deduct 24 +24 from 120 which equals to 72. But we have double counted daf options. so we have to add cases where DAF are toghter. DAF -(another 3peopl) = (4-1)! = 6. DAF itself will have 2 permutations, so we multiply 6 by 2 which equals to 12. Now we add 72+ 12 =84. so now the answer by this method = 84. I hope some experts solve this question correctly.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 264 [0]
Send PM
Aj85 wrote:
sap wrote:

Thanks Sap for pointing out my error, I did rechecked the question . Actually I learned that when it is circular arrangement we subtract 1, so I carelessly subtracted 1 from each and every stage where i had to compute permutation including not counting ad as one item. So the solution will be adcdef = (6-1)! = 120. Then ad-(another 4people) = (5-1)! = 24 similarly AF(another 4 people) = (5-1)! =24. so we have to deduct 24 +24 from 120 which equals to 72. But we have double counted daf options. so we have to add cases where DAF are toghter. DAF -(another 3peopl) = (4-1)! = 6. DAF itself will have 2 permutations, so we multiply 6 by 2 which equals to 12. Now we add 72+ 12 =84. so now the answer by this method = 84. I hope some experts solve this question correctly.

I solved it in the same way and got 84, but the answer is C.
If the question is: A cannot sit next to both D and F(A cannot sit between D and F), then the answer would be 108.

Also, I saw another explanation on the forum-
fix a position for A. It has two adjacent positions one on either side. D and F cannot take these two positions. So, D and F can be placed in the remaining 3 positions in 3P2 = 6ways.
The remaining three positions can be filled by B,C,E in 3! ways.
So, total number of ways = 6*6 = 36 ways.
I don't know how good is this explanation in a circular arrangement...

Do share your thoughts.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 264 [0]
Send PM
Aj85 wrote:
sap wrote:

Guys, in addition to above explanation-
You have subtracted the cases AD and AF but you have neglected the cases DA and FA. Each of which will be having 24 cases.
So, you need to subtract 2*24 from 84 which will give 84-48 = 36.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 300 [0]
Send PM
Viv, I didnt count ad and da because i thought they were in circles, I mean in linear arrangement if we have A B and C we can arrange like ABC, ACB, BAC, ACA, CAB and CBA, but when they are in circle ABC and BCA and CAB are same, That's what I learnt for circular arrangements. of course I may be wrong. But its very interesting question, hope someone solves it correctly . It will be great to see a correct solution for this question.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Given Kudos: 10
Send PM
Did you get this from the Manhattan book, or from one of their MGMAT s ?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 183 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Concentration: Finance, International Business
GMAT Date: 12-07-2011
GPA: 3.22
WE:Information Technology (Computer Software)
Send PM
Aj85 wrote:
Viv, I didnt count ad and da because i thought they were in circles, I mean in linear arrangement if we have A B and C we can arrange like ABC, ACB, BAC, ACA, CAB and CBA, but when they are in circle ABC and BCA and CAB are same, That's what I learnt for circular arrangements. of course I may be wrong. But its very interesting question, hope someone solves it correctly . It will be great to see a correct solution for this question.

Aj85, You are correct to say that, in circular arrangements ABC, ACB, BAC, ACA, CAB and CBA will represent same arrangement.
Hence one we have subtracted AF and AD we need not subtract FA and DA.

I am too getting the answer as 84.

@sap can U please let us know the source and the OA
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Send PM
Sudhanshuacharya wrote:
Aj85 wrote:

Aj85, You are correct to say that, in circular arrangements ABC, ACB, BAC, ACA, CAB and CBA will represent same arrangement.
Hence one we have subtracted AF and AD we need not subtract FA and DA.

I am too getting the answer as 84.

@sap can U please let us know the source and the OA

ok, here's an attempt

A,B,C,D,E and F can sit in (6-1)! ways -- 120

Now consider this, when we take AD as one person all of them can sit in AD, B, C, D ,E --> (5-1)! --> 24

now, this calculation considers clockwise and anti clockwise as different, i.e AD is different from DA. Therefore we have to divide this figure by 2, because We do not want to distinguish between AD and DA.

Hence there are 12 cases when AD sit to each other ( irrespective of AD or DA )

Similarly, there are 12 cases when AF sit to each other.

Similarly, we can say ADF can also be clockwise and anticlockwise, but we have to realize that, when counting AD and AF we have counted DAF or FAD TWICE ( once for each ) therefore we need to deduct the arrangement for DAF only once.

If DAF were 1 person, possible number of arrangements -- ADF,B,C,E --> 3!

We will not count it twice because we need to deduct this only once from AD and AF combination !

Therefore total count

5! - (4!/2 + 4!/2 -3!) = 120 - (12 + 12 -12 ) = 108

what say ?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [1]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM