Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 25 Oct 2014, 05:44

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

There are a group of kids in our neighborhood who like to

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Collective Nouns

You may select 1 option
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

There are a group of kids in our neighborhood who like to [#permalink] New post 09 Oct 2011, 01:46
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

15% (low)

Question Stats:

100% (01:37) correct 0% (00:00) wrong based on 7 sessions
There are a group of kids in our neighborhood who like to get together on the weekends and help less fortunate children.
The right answer is D:
"There is a group of kids in our neighborhood who like to get together on the weekends and help less fortunate children."

A - The are a group of kids in our neighborhood who like to get together on the weekends and help less fortunate children
B- Getting together on the weekends are a group of kids which like helping less fortunate children
C-A group of kids on the weekend getting together in our neighborhood like the helping of less fortunate children
D- There is a group of kids in our neighborhood who like to get together on the weekends and help less fortunate children
E-In our neighborhood, there is a group of kids who likes to get together on the weekends and helping less fortunate children.

Hi guys,
I will clarify my question:

GMAT Ultimate grammar book by the GMAT Club, First Edition, p.101, question 49.

My question: I do not understand in answer D why "like" is plural while "is" is singular. Don't they both refer to the collective noun "group" (and therefore be both singular)?

Thanks for your help.
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

Last edited by Push on 09 Oct 2011, 07:24, edited 5 times in total.
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
Expert Post
Retired Moderator
Status: worked for Kaplan's associates, but now on my own, free and flying
WE: Education (Education)
Followers: 267

Kudos [?]: 1703 [0], given: 249

Premium Member
Re: Ultimate GMAT grammar - test 1 #49 Collective nouns [#permalink] New post 09 Oct 2011, 03:47
Expert's post
Push

This is your first post and it has not come out well. Where are the choices?
Please proof read your posts immediately after
publishing to edit any error.

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Expert Post
Founder
Founder
Affiliations: UA-1K, SPG-G, HH-D
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.5
WE: Information Technology (Hospitality and Tourism)
Followers: 2326

Kudos [?]: 9462 [0], given: 3702

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: Ultimate GMAT grammar - test 1 #49 Collective nouns [#permalink] New post 10 Oct 2011, 07:55
Expert's post
A few ideas:

"IS" modifies the "Group" and "WHO LIKE" modifies the "KIDS".
You can't really say "Group who likes to get together". A group can't get together and probably would be "that" or "which" instead of "who"

Founder of GMAT Club

Just starting out with GMAT? Start here... | Want to know your GMAT Score? Try GMAT Score Estimator
Need GMAT Book Recommendations? Best GMAT Books

Co-author of the GMAT Club tests

Have a blog? Feature it on GMAT Club!

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 25 [0], given: 9

Re: There are a group of kids in our neighborhood who like to [#permalink] New post 10 Oct 2011, 10:54
hmmm well...

A group + which or
A group + that is the correct usage..

If i am not wrong we use "who" for living things hence, "who" refer to "kids"...
moreover "a group" is singular hence "IS" is used

Hope this helps..
Manager
Manager
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 12

Re: There are a group of kids in our neighborhood who like to [#permalink] New post 02 Nov 2011, 01:23
Push wrote:
There are a group of kids in our neighborhood who like to get together on the weekends and help less fortunate children.
The right answer is D:
"There is a group of kids in our neighborhood who like to get together on the weekends and help less fortunate children."

A - The are a group of kids in our neighborhood who like to get together on the weekends and help less fortunate children
B- Getting together on the weekends are a group of kids which like helping less fortunate children
C-A group of kids on the weekend getting together in our neighborhood like the helping of less fortunate children
D- There is a group of kids in our neighborhood who like to get together on the weekends and help less fortunate children
E-In our neighborhood, there is a group of kids who likes to get together on the weekends and helping less fortunate children.

Hi guys,
I will clarify my question:

GMAT Ultimate grammar book by the GMAT Club, First Edition, p.101, question 49.

My question: I do not understand in answer D why "like" is plural while "is" is singular. Don't they both refer to the collective noun "group" (and therefore be both singular)?

Thanks for your help.

"Is" refers to "Group" (collective noun) hence singular.

"Like" refers to "kids" (plural) hence plural.

Not sure whether it helps you. Just try to figure out the subject of the verb and am sure you will get the answer.
Manager
Manager
WE 1: Information Technology(Retail)
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 29

Re: There are a group of kids in our neighborhood who like to [#permalink] New post 02 Nov 2011, 03:19
D is correct as Group should use "is"(singular due to collective noun-group)."kids" is plural hence "like" should be used.

B- Getting together on the weekends are a group of kids which like helping less fortunate children-Incorrect due to are a group of kids.
C- A group of kids on the weekend getting together in our neighborhood like the helping of less fortunate children-Incorrect and awkward
E-In our neighborhood, there is a group of kids who likes to get together on the weekends and helping less fortunate children.- Incorrect due to Likes.
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Finance, Finance
Schools: Cambridge
GMAT 1: 690 Q47 V37
GPA: 3.9
WE: Accounting (Education)
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 8

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: There are a group of kids in our neighborhood who like to [#permalink] New post 03 Nov 2011, 07:48
I guess D is the correct answer. I fell for A

Group is singular
Children are plural
Re: There are a group of kids in our neighborhood who like to   [#permalink] 03 Nov 2011, 07:48