Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 14 Jul 2014, 03:55

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

There are at least three people in the room. At most two

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Manager
Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 18 [0], given: 0

There are at least three people in the room. At most two [#permalink] New post 29 Jan 2008, 00:27
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

5% (low)

Question Stats:

0% (00:00) correct 0% (00:00) wrong based on 0 sessions
There are at least three people in the room. At most two people in the room recognize each other. At least one person in the room recognizes everybody else in the room.

Which one of the following is NOT consistent with the above?

(A) Four people are in the room.
(B) No two people in the room recognize each other.
(C) At most one person in the room recognizes everybody else in the room.
(D) Anyone in the room who recognizes any other person in the room is also recognized by that person.
(E) Two people in the room recognize every one else in the room.

Explanation pls.

Neelabh Mahesh

Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Re: CR:People in the room [#permalink] New post 29 Jan 2008, 04:13
IMO Answer is C.
Manager
Manager

Re: CR:People in the room [#permalink] New post 29 Jan 2008, 04:24
Sorry i misread the question.
Are you sure the question asks for what is NOT consistent and not what IS consistent. I only see choice c as the one that is consistent, all the rest are inconsistent.

Please correct me if my explanation is wrong.

Lets assume there are 3 people in the room, John, his sister Jenn and his friend at work Bryan. Now, Parul does not know Ashish. Lets assume John is the guy who knows everyone else in the room. This scenario fits the question.

Now you can put as many people in the room as long as Ashish knows them.
Now lets do the answerchoices based on this scenario.
(A) Four people are in the room. [ it is not consistent since there can be more any number of people, as long as htey know John]
(B) No two people in the room recognize each other.[John and his sister Jenn recognize each other]
(C) At most one person in the room recognizes everybody else in the room.[this is consistent]
(D) Anyone in the room who recognizes any other person in the room is also recognized by that person.[inconsistent]
(E) Two people in the room recognize every one else in the room.[inconsisten]
Manager
Manager

Re: CR:People in the room [#permalink] New post 29 Jan 2008, 04:27
Sorry guys i have to post this explanation again due to a mistake in the names in the earlier post..please ignore the above post..

Are you sure the question asks for what is NOT consistent and not what IS consistent. I only see choice c as the one that is consistent, all the rest are inconsistent.

Please correct me if my explanation is wrong.

Lets assume there are 3 people in the room, John, his sister Jenn and his friend at work Bryan. Now, Jenn does not know Bryan. Lets assume John is the guy who knows everyone else in the room. This scenario fits the question.

Now you can put as many people in the room as long as John knows them.
Now lets do the answerchoices based on this scenario.
(A) Four people are in the room. [ it is not consistent since there can be more any number of people, as long as htey know John]
(B) No two people in the room recognize each other.[John and his sister Jenn recognize each other]
(C) At most one person in the room recognizes everybody else in the room.[this is consistent]
(D) Anyone in the room who recognizes any other person in the room is also recognized by that person.[inconsistent]
(E) Two people in the room recognize every one else in the room.[inconsistent]
Director
Director
Schools: Oxford'10
Followers: 13

Kudos [?]: 173 [0], given: 8

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR:People in the room [#permalink] New post 29 Jan 2008, 04:35
To tackle this I will assign letters to the people. at least 3 people so ABC... , Max two people recognise each other, so lets say A recognises B and B recognises A (each other), but this is also the maximum. so C doesn't recosnise anyone else that recognises C.

either A, B or C recognises everyone else.

neelabhmahesh wrote:
There are at least three people in the room. At most two people in the room recognize each other. At least one person in the room recognizes everybody else in the room.

(A) Four people are in the room. this is possible given the options above. D could be a stranger who no one recognises and D doesn't know anyone else too.
(B) No two people in the room recognize each other. this is possible, A knows B, B knows A
(C) At most one person in the room recognizes everybody else in the room. This is possible, but not necessary.
(D) Anyone in the room who recognizes any other person in the room is also recognized by that person. inconsistent, since B can recognise C, but C need not recognise B since that would break clause 1
(E) Two people in the room recognize every one else in the room. this is possible. A and B know each other, but also know everyone else.

Explanation pls.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 37 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR:People in the room [#permalink] New post 03 Apr 2008, 22:13
I just did this in LSAT CR and got a wrong answer.

Anyone ?
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 15 [0], given: 0

Re: CR:People in the room [#permalink] New post 04 Apr 2008, 00:43
kyatin wrote:
I just did this in LSAT CR and got a wrong answer.

Anyone ?

Thanks for extracting the thread :)

Just got it...
I could not understand the answer choice B..

The argument says: At most two people in the room recognize each other, meaning that there can be no more than two people in the room who recognize each other. But it is possible that no two people in the room recognize each other.

B. No two people in the room recognize each other. - consistent..

D. Anyone in the room who recognizes any other person in the room is also recognized by that person. - It is clearly stated that maximum two people in the room recognize each other and there are minimum 3 people in the room (number of people >= 3). Therefore it is impossible "for anyone in the room who recognizes any other person in the room is also recognized by that person." This will break the argument. Therefore, D - inconsistent.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 32 [0], given: 1

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR:People in the room [#permalink] New post 04 Apr 2008, 01:34
neelabhmahesh wrote:

(A) Four people are in the room.
(B) No two people in the room recognize each other.
(C) At most one person in the room recognizes everybody else in the room.
(D) Anyone in the room who recognizes any other person in the room is also recognized by that person.
(E) Two people in the room recognize every one else in the room.

Explanation pls.

I'll have to go for D.

(A) Four people are in the room. (this can be true since the statement stats by saying "There are at least 3 people in a room")
(B) No two people in the room recognize each other (This can be true since the statement says "At most two people in the room recognize each other")
(C) At most one person in the room recognizes everybody else in the room. ( "True because the statement says at most one person in the room recognises everybody in the room")
(D) Anyone in the room who recognizes any other person in the room is also recognized by that person. ("This is not true because the statement does not mention this. Also remeber the use of Anyone is too extreme. GMAT most of the time prefers not to use the extreme)
(E) Two people in the room recognize every one else in the room. (This is possible because the statement provides us with this information. "At least one person in the room recognises everyone else in the room")
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 37 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR:People in the room [#permalink] New post 04 Apr 2008, 07:53
OA is D.

I messed up trying to lok for option that is consistent. Question asks for "NOT" consistent...ned to watch out especially when doing a timed test.

Good work Vavali and Chica :cool
Re: CR:People in the room   [#permalink] 04 Apr 2008, 07:53