Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 02 Oct 2014, 03:03

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

There are far fewer children available for adoption than

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
CEO
CEO
Schools: Completed at SAID BUSINESS SCHOOL, OXFORD - Class of 2008
Followers: 15

Kudos [?]: 81 [0], given: 0

There are far fewer children available for adoption than [#permalink] New post 21 Nov 2005, 21:52
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

0% (00:00) correct 0% (00:00) wrong based on 0 sessions
There are far fewer children available for adoption than there are people who want to adopt. Two million couples are currently waiting to adopt, but in 1982, the last year for which figures exist, there were only some 50,000 adoptions.

Which of the following statements, if true, most strengthens the author’s claim that there are far fewer children available for adoption than there are people who want to adopt?

(A) The number of couples waiting to adopt has increased significantly in the last decade.
(B) The number of adoptions in the current year is greater than the number of adoptions in any preceding year.
(C) The number of adoptions in a year is approximately equal to the number of children available for adoption in that period.
(D) People who seek to adopt children often go through a long process of interviews and investigation by adoption agencies.
(E) People who seek to adopt children generally make very good parents.

Please do explain your logic.

SAID BUSINESS SCHOOL, OXFORD - MBA CLASS OF 2008

VP
VP
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 26 [0], given: 0

Re: CR - Child Adoption [#permalink] New post 21 Nov 2005, 21:57
ps_dahiya wrote:
There are far fewer children available for adoption than there are people who want to adopt. Two million couples are currently waiting to adopt, but in 1982, the last year for which figures exist, there were only some 50,000 adoptions.

Which of the following statements, if true, most strengthens the author’s claim that there are far fewer children available for adoption than there are people who want to adopt?

(A) The number of couples waiting to adopt has increased significantly in the last decade.
(B) The number of adoptions in the current year is greater than the number of adoptions in any preceding year.
(C) The number of adoptions in a year is approximately equal to the number of children available for adoption in that period.
(D) People who seek to adopt children often go through a long process of interviews and investigation by adoption agencies.

My answer is A.

If the number of couples waiting to adopt increased, it means that there are fewer children available.

Other choices are out of scope
SVP
SVP
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 34 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 21 Nov 2005, 22:04
Between A & C.

I go for 'C'. More close to the evidence.

It supports authors claim, as per 'C', if number of adoptions in a year is approx. equal to number of children available, then as authors says there were only 50000 children available against 2 million waiting parents.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Followers: 19

Kudos [?]: 149 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 21 Nov 2005, 22:10
- D,E are irrelevant
- A,B does not really suggests that # of children available for adoption is lower than the number of people who want to adopt
- C is the best choice. It suggests the number of children available for adoption is approximately equal to the number of adoptions in a year. So it means that 50,000 children are available for adoption against 2 million waiting couples.
SVP
SVP
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 43 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 22 Nov 2005, 05:35
I agree with ywilfred. C is the answer.

hey ya......

Current Student
Followers: 23

Kudos [?]: 135 [0], given: 0

Reviews Badge
 [#permalink] New post 22 Nov 2005, 08:53
I remember this one from the archives. The answer is (C) because the supply of children available for adoption is met with an insatiable demand of parents willing to adopt.
CEO
CEO

[#permalink] New post 22 Nov 2005, 11:30
OA is C :shock: . But it seems totally opposite (To me atleast) to what is asked. Here are my explanation as I don't have OE.

My answer is A

B) It is weakening the argument. If this is true then the gap should have been narrowed.
C) B) It is weakening the argument. If this is the case then there will be no gap at all. Now two million are waiting but in 1982, how many were waiting. Assuming that two million were waiting at that time then this is true.
D) If this is true then there will be more couples waiting to adopt and some of the children will not be adopted. Hence, it can not be said that children are fewer than people waiting to adopt.
E) Out of scope

I may be wrong. But this is what I feel.

Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 22 Nov 2005, 23:07
One more for C.

Conculsion: there are far fewer children available for adoption than there are people who want to adopt

A - Incorrect. No information on the number of children available for adoption
B - Incorrect. How does it matter in this case.
C - Correct. Number of children and Adoptions are approx. equal.
D - Incorrect. Out of Scope.
E - Incorrect. Out of Scope.
Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 22 Nov 2005, 23:45
ywilfred wrote:
- D,E are irrelevant
- C is the best choice. It suggests the number of children available for adoption is approximately equal to the number of adoptions in a year. So it means that 50,000 children are available for adoption against 2 million waiting couples.

I have always got this one wrong!
I cant understand how can 2 million (the current number as the passage quotes) be equal to the 5000 in 1982 - To choose C, we will have to assume that 2 million was also the figure in 1982! How is it possible???

Cheers, Rahul.

CEO
CEO

[#permalink] New post 22 Nov 2005, 23:51
rahulraao wrote:
ywilfred wrote:
- D,E are irrelevant

I cant understand how can 2 million (the current number as the passage quotes) be equal to the 5000 in 1982 - To choose C, we will have to assume that 2 million was also the figure in 1982! How is it possible???

Exactly. Thats what I am saying. C merely says that all the children are getting adopted every year but it does not say about how many couples were left waiting.

VP
VP

Kudos [?]: 26 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 23 Nov 2005, 00:07
ps_dahiya wrote:
rahulraao wrote:
ywilfred wrote:
- D,E are irrelevant

Exactly. Thats what I am saying. C merely says that all the children are getting adopted every year but it does not say about how many couples were left waiting.

This is my question as well.
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: CR - Child Adoption [#permalink] New post 15 Mar 2006, 15:43
ps_dahiya wrote:

My answer was A. But upon further reflection, I have to agree that the answer is C. First because it's the OA. Second because, A doesn't say anything about the children. The statement says that there are more couples wanting to adopt. There are also "far fewer children available for adoption". The trick is to separate children from adoption. I got confused by this. When you think of them as being two different but related variables, then you have to conclude that when (answer choice C) "the number of adoptions in a year is ... equal to the number of children...", then the author's claim is strengthened. Choice B would weaken the author's claim. Choices D and E are irrelevant.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 15 Mar 2006, 20:37
Agree with C as well.
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 16 Mar 2006, 04:18
A or C. But in the end I understand why it was C the correct answer.
Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 14 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 16 Mar 2006, 12:48
^ C ^

If we assume that the number of adoptions is equal to the number of children, the argument works. Otherwise there maybe equal maybe even more number of children waiting to be adopted but the families may not be happy with sth. so only the totally agreed ones will adopt a child. There may be several reasons for unadoption. C clarifies this dilemma.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 16 Mar 2006, 15:27
Agree with C.
A is not the answer - if the figures are similar to the ones listed below, then we cannot conclude answer as A.

Year Number of People Waiting to Adopt No.of Children
1999 100 90
2000 200 189
2001 300 288

This does not mean there are far fewer children than couples.
Comments are welcome.
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 16 Mar 2006, 16:26
Premise says that the last year for which figures exist was 1982, and in that year there were some 50,000 adoptions. This means that we have to assume that there will be 50,000 adoptions every year after 1982.

Option C says that number of adoptions = number of children available for adoption. This tells us that if there are 2 million couples waiting to adopt, then there are only 50,000 children available for adoption.

C is the Best answer.
  [#permalink] 16 Mar 2006, 16:26