Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 24 Jul 2014, 15:16

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

There are far fewer children available for adoption than

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Technology, Strategy
GMAT 1: 670 Q47 V35
GMAT 2: 710 Q48 V40
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 41 [1] , given: 7

GMAT Tests User
There are far fewer children available for adoption than [#permalink] New post 31 Jan 2010, 13:01
This post received
KUDOS
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

5% (low)

Question Stats:

58% (02:44) correct 42% (01:35) wrong based on 28 sessions
There are far fewer children available for adoption than there are people who
want to adopt. Two million couples are currently waiting to adopt, but in 1982,
the last year for which figures exist, there were only some 50,000 adoptions.
Which of the following statements, if true, most strengthens the author’s claim
that there are far fewer children available for adoption than there are people who
want to adopt?
(A) The number of couples waiting to adopt has increased significantly in the last
decade.
(B) The number of adoptions in the current year is greater than the number of
adoptions in any preceding year.
(C) The number of adoptions in a year is approximately equal to the number of
children available for adoption in that period.
(D) People who seek to adopt children often go through a long process of
interviews and investigation by adoption agencies.
(E) People who seek to adopt children generally make very good parents.
[Reveal] Spoiler:
C

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If you think you can,you can
If you think you can't,you are right.

Last edited by mojorising800 on 02 Feb 2010, 07:07, edited 1 time in total.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 10

Kudos [?]: 197 [0], given: 47

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User
Re: Debatable OA [#permalink] New post 31 Jan 2010, 13:16
There are far fewer children available for adoption than there are people who
want to adopt. Two million couples are currently waiting to adopt, but in 1982,
the last year for which figures exist, there were only some 50,000 adoptions.
Which of the following statements, if true, most strengthens the author’s claim
that there are far fewer children available for adoption than there are people who
want to adopt?
(A) The number of couples waiting to adopt has increased significantly in the last
decade.
(B) The number of adoptions in the current year is greater than the number of
adoptions in any preceding year.
(C) The number of adoptions in a year is approximately equal to the number of
children available for adoption in that period.
(D) People who seek to adopt children often go through a long process of
interviews and investigation by adoption agencies.
(E) People who seek to adopt children generally make very good parents.

Would go with C....

C strengths the no of adoption with the available children..... this gives the statement in the stem - "but in 1982, the last year for which figures exist, there were only some 50,000 adoptions." clear significance that no of children are few....!

Cheers!
JT...........
If u like my post..... payback in Kudos!! :beer

|Do not post questions with OA|Please underline your SC questions while posting|Try posting the explanation along with your answer choice|
|For CR refer Powerscore CR Bible|For SC refer Manhattan SC Guide|

~~Better Burn Out... Than Fade Away~~

Current Student
Followers: 9

Kudos [?]: 89 [0], given: 3439

GMAT Tests User
Re: Debatable OA [#permalink] New post 01 Feb 2010, 09:31
Yep, I agree with jeeteshsingh. C unambiguously strengthens the argument by pegging the number of children available for adoption to a concrete number, which is far less than the concrete number of parents looking to adopt.
Current Student
Concentration: Finance
GMAT 1: 680 Q48 V35
GMAT 2: 700 Q48 V37
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 46 [0], given: 15

Re: Debatable OA [#permalink] New post 02 Feb 2010, 01:48
I would go with C as well.
What is the debatable OA?
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Strategy, Other
GMAT 1: Q V
GMAT 2: Q V
WE: Business Development (Consulting)
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 20 [0], given: 53

Re: Debatable OA [#permalink] New post 02 Feb 2010, 03:08
C. Whats is the OA?
3 KUDOS received
Tuck Thread Master
Schools: Stanford (in), Tuck (WL), Wharton (ding), Cornell (in)
Followers: 12

Kudos [?]: 86 [3] , given: 69

GMAT Tests User
Re: Debatable OA [#permalink] New post 02 Feb 2010, 03:44
This post received
KUDOS
This argument is yet another example of "shift of the scope" trick that GMAC so loves to pull out.

Premise
Quote:
Two million couples are currently waiting to adopt, but in 1982, the last year for which figures exist, there were only some 50,000 adoptions.

That's simply a statement of fact. The number of people who want to adopt is compared with the number of adoptions

Conclusion
Quote:
There are far fewer children available for adoption than there are people who want to adopt.

In this conclusion number of people who want to adopt is compared with children available for adoption. This comparison is quite different from that in the premise. If we want to show validity of the conclusion - we somehow should establish following connection:

Number of adoptions == Number of children available for adoption

Answ (C) does exactly the same
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 16

GMAT Tests User
Re: Debatable OA [#permalink] New post 02 Feb 2010, 05:13
yep C.

The argument --far fewer children for adpation--is based on the fact that there are millions waiting to adapt but only 50,000 adpated in a year. The assumption must be that 50000 children were the only the available ones for adpation.
C confirms that assumption.
D and E are out of scope.
A does not generate any discussion.
B is tricky. It could be the answer if we knew how many people were waiting to adopt in the previous years.
Concentration: Marketing, Other
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V38
GMAT 2: 660 Q V
GPA: 3.64
WE: Accounting (Accounting)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 51 [0], given: 75014

Re: Debatable OA [#permalink] New post 23 Sep 2010, 21:54
shalva wrote:
This argument is yet another example of "shift of the scope" trick that GMAC so loves to pull out.

Premise
Quote:
Two million couples are currently waiting to adopt, but in 1982, the last year for which figures exist, there were only some 50,000 adoptions.

That's simply a statement of fact. The number of people who want to adopt is compared with the number of adoptions

Conclusion
Quote:
There are far fewer children available for adoption than there are people who want to adopt.

In this conclusion number of people who want to adopt is compared with children available for adoption. This comparison is quite different from that in the premise. If we want to show validity of the conclusion - we somehow should establish following connection:

Answ (C) does exactly the same

Good explanation. No wonder you got a 47 on verbal. kudos to you.

Premise is just a fact here. I see the trick. Premise is trying to distract you. If C is not true then the conclusion falls apart.
Manager
Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 23 [0], given: 15

GMAT Tests User
Re: Debatable OA [#permalink] New post 24 Sep 2010, 17:05
shalva wrote:

Almost missed that when reading the answers. Thanks
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 138 [0], given: 70

Re: There are far fewer children available for adoption than [#permalink] New post 18 Dec 2011, 00:06
I am finding some problems to buy the explanations given earlier. As the question states, we need to find the statement to strengthen the claim "far fewer children available".

Where option C can support the claim as "fewer children available", it does not support the claim "far fewer" from any angle. I can easily interpret that demand is equal or marginally more than the supply.

Option A states "The number of couples waiting to adopt has increased significantly". In case the statement used the word "wishing" or "wanting" or something similar instead of "waiting", this option could have been ignored. But, when the number of couples, who are waiting, is increasing significantly, definitely demand is equal or more than supply. I don't believe couples would wait should there be necessary supply.

I do not see any reason which can clearly make option C standout over option A. I will appreciate any proper explanation to support C over A.
Director
Director
Concentration: International Business, General Management
GPA: 3.86
WE: Accounting (Commercial Banking)

Kudos [?]: 35 [0], given: 16

GMAT Tests User
Re: There are far fewer children available for adoption than [#permalink] New post 18 Dec 2011, 01:17
doe007 wrote:
I am finding some problems to buy the explanations given earlier. As the question states, we need to find the statement to strengthen the claim "far fewer children available".

Where option C can support the claim as "fewer children available", it does not support the claim "far fewer" from any angle. I can easily interpret that demand is equal or marginally more than the supply.

Option A states "The number of couples waiting to adopt has increased significantly". In case the statement used the word "wishing" or "wanting" or something similar instead of "waiting", this option could have been ignored. But, when the number of couples, who are waiting, is increasing significantly, definitely demand is equal or more than supply. I don't believe couples would wait should there be necessary supply.

I do not see any reason which can clearly make option C standout over option A. I will appreciate any proper explanation to support C over A.

A speaks about last decade, i think here we are talking about present decade and that's why i chose C, but A is a good contender, please correct me if i am wrong

+1 Kudos If found helpful..

Verbal Forum Moderator
Verbal Forum Moderator
Concentration: International Business, Marketing
Schools: Duke '16
GMAT Date: 06-06-2014
GPA: 3.07
Followers: 32

Kudos [?]: 160 [0], given: 40

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: There are far fewer children available for adoption than [#permalink] New post 18 Dec 2011, 07:14
2 million couple waiting for adoption, but in 1982 only some 50,000 adoptions. The preceding premise stated that the children need adopting are fewer than the people want to adopt. So, this is clear that the 50.000 adoption is inferred that The number of adoptions in a year is approximately equal to the number of children available for adoption in that period.

Choice C is correct one.

Rules for posting in verbal gmat forum, read it before posting anything in verbal forum
Giving me + 1 kudos if my post is valuable with you :)

The more you like my post, the more you share to other's need

CR: Focus of the Week: Must be True Question

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Re: There are far fewer children available for adoption than [#permalink] New post 18 Dec 2011, 07:55
kotela wrote:
doe007 wrote:

A speaks about last decade, i think here we are talking about present decade and that's why i chose C, but A is a good contender, please correct me if i am wrong

"Last decade" might be reason for discarding option A.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Re: There are far fewer children available for adoption than [#permalink] New post 18 Dec 2011, 07:59
tuanquang269 wrote:
2 million couple waiting for adoption, but in 1982 only some 50,000 adoptions. The preceding premise stated that the children need adopting are fewer than the people want to adopt. So, this is clear that the 50.000 adoption is inferred that The number of adoptions in a year is approximately equal to the number of children available for adoption in that period.

Choice C is correct one.

Here the reasoning has no connection with the given options. Rather this a paraphrase of the original statement. I believe we need to answer based on the given choices. Does really option C imply demand to be scanty?
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Technology, International Business
GMAT 1: 690 Q48 V37
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 20 [0], given: 6

GMAT Tests User
Re: There are far fewer children available for adoption than [#permalink] New post 26 Dec 2011, 09:16
Argument is that number of children available for adoption is less then number of parent trying to adopt
E is irrelevant and so is D
A state’s growth in parent
B is irrelevant to argument
SO C is remaining and it states that children ready for adoption and adopted cild rate is more or less same, which mean only few children were deemed as not fit for adoption, thus proving the argument
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Re: There are far fewer children available for adoption than [#permalink] New post 26 Dec 2011, 17:48
neha2785 wrote:
Argument is that number of children available for adoption is less then number of parent trying to adopt
E is irrelevant and so is D
A state’s growth in parent
B is irrelevant to argument
SO C is remaining and it states that children ready for adoption and adopted cild rate is more or less same, which mean only few children were deemed as not fit for adoption, thus proving the argument

Option A does not state growth in parents but the "growth in waiting parents". Waiting increases only when demand is more than supply.
Option C can be inferred as demand is nearly equal to supply.

To me, option C is not stronger than option A. I believe wordings in the choices need to be modified to eradicate ambiguity.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 1

GMAT Tests User
Re: There are far fewer children available for adoption than [#permalink] New post 26 Dec 2011, 21:48
+1 for C
Manager
Manager
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 27

Re: There are far fewer children available for adoption than [#permalink] New post 23 May 2013, 15:28
For me A is much better option than C. It clearly states "The number of couples waiting to adopt has increased significantly" It explicitly says waiting to adopt has increased -- strengthening authors claims that there are far fewer children available for adoption than there are people who want to adopt.

Now look at C it says "The number of adoptions in a year is approximately equal to the number of children available for adoption in that period." so what? There are 10 children available and 10 got adopted. Also, notice there is word approximately used in the choice C. it could be 9 available and 10 parents or vice-versa i.e. 10 children and 9 parents want to adopt.Not conclusive enough.
Re: There are far fewer children available for adoption than   [#permalink] 23 May 2013, 15:28