Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 24 Oct 2014, 02:31

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

There are over 110 million dogs and cats in the United State

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

There are over 110 million dogs and cats in the United [#permalink] New post 21 Jun 2006, 05:31
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

0% (00:00) correct 0% (00:00) wrong based on 0 sessions
There are over 110 million dogs and cats in the United States,which is more than the population of any Western European country. (A)which is more than the population of any Western European country
(B)which are more than the population of any Western European country
(C)being more than the population of any Western European country
(D)more than any Western European country in population
(E)more than in any Western european country by population

My reasoning : The error is that there is no antecedent to which "which" can relate to. "110 million" cant be the antecedent because it is adjective of quantity."Cats & dogs" cant be the antecedent as in that case the comparision would be between Cats & dogs(it should be between number of dogs and cats.) & the population.To me no option seems to be correct.I think the corrected sentence should be-
There are over 110 million dogs and cats in the United States,a number which is more than the population of any Western European country.
However,the book (Arco) says that the original sentence(i.e.Choice A) is correct.

Q2) A substance from the licorice plant ,50 times sweeter than sucrose,was recently discovered,is not only a natural sweetener but also prevents tooth decay.
(A)A substance from the licorice plant ,50 times sweeter than sucrose,was recently discovered
(B)A substance,which was recently discovered,from the licorice plant,50 times sweeter than sucrose,
(C) A substance from the licorice plant,which was recently discovered to be 50 times sweeter than sucrose,
(D) A substance from the licorice plant,50 times sweeter than sucrose,which was recently discovered,
(E)A recently discovered substance,50 times sweeter than sucrose from the licorice plant

The anwer given by the book is "C".Choice C is grammatically correct but it seems to be faulty as it changes the meaning of the original sentence."C" indicates that the sweetness was discovered recently, wheras the original sentence suggests that the substance was recently discovered.While correcting sentence dont you think we have to ensure that the sentence sticks to the original meaning?

This is my 1st post at the forum.I admit that the forum is a very good 1 but I reuest all members to give answers for the question (if u know) u put at the forum because otherwise people like me are left more confused after reading those questions.
Thanks & regards to every1 in advance.
VP
VP
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 28 [0], given: 0

Re: Arco Sentence Correction problems [#permalink] New post 21 Jun 2006, 05:52
Philospher57 wrote:
Q1) There are over 110 million dogs and cats in the United States,which is more than the population of any Western European country.

(A)which is more than the population of any Western European country
(B)which are more than the population of any Western European country
(C)being more than the population of any Western European country
(D)more than any Western European country in population
(E)more than in any Western european country by population

Q2) A substance from the licorice plant ,50 times sweeter than sucrose,was recently discovered,is not only a natural sweetener but also prevents tooth decay.

(A)A substance from the licorice plant ,50 times sweeter than sucrose,was recently discovered
(B)A substance,which was recently discovered,from the licorice plant,50 times sweeter than sucrose,
(C) A substance from the licorice plant, which was recently discovered to be 50 times sweeter than sucrose,
(D) A substance from the licorice plant,50 times sweeter than sucrose,which was recently discovered,
(E)A recently discovered substance,50 times sweeter than sucrose from the licorice plant

arco/barrons are not good stuff for gmat.

i agree with you that the first one is a wrong question. however, i donot see any choice other than A least worst.

the OA for second one is also wrong. in c, "discovered to be" is flatly wrong. i guess B works.
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 21 Jun 2006, 09:45
Is "discovered to be" always wrong or is there any specific reason for it to be wrong in sentece no.2 choice C :?:
  [#permalink] 21 Jun 2006, 09:45