Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 28 Aug 2015, 02:48
GMAT Club Tests

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

There are those who complain that municipal libraries are

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 16 Feb 2011
Posts: 197
Schools: ABCD
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 88 [0], given: 78

There are those who complain that municipal libraries are [#permalink] New post 21 Aug 2012, 12:49
9
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

  85% (hard)

Question Stats:

43% (02:22) correct 57% (01:31) wrong based on 450 sessions
There are those who complain that municipal libraries are outdated and unnecessary. These same people object to the tax dollars spent funding municipal libraries. However, these people are missing out on a simple pleasure: reading a great book. Taken this way, libraries are truly wonderful resources worthy of public funding.

The two boldface portions play which of the following roles?

(A) The first is a generalization accepted by the author as true; the second is a consequence that follows from the truth of that generalization.
(B) The first is evidence that supports one of two contradictory points of view; the second is the second point of view.
(C) The first is a commonly held point of view; the second is support for that point of view.
(D) The first is one of two contradictory points of view; the second is the other point of view.
(E) The first concedes a consideration that weighs against the viewpoint of the author; the second is that viewpoint.

Can someone explain why B and E are incorrect? Thanks
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 21 Aug 2012
Posts: 2
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: There are those who complain that municipal libraries are ou [#permalink] New post 21 Aug 2012, 13:21
D ..This was easy. The key is to read the highlighted portion very clearly and repeatedly until you understand. OP, if you have any specific questions about why D is the right choice, I can help.
Expert Post
4 KUDOS received
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
User avatar
Joined: 28 Dec 2011
Posts: 2506
Followers: 814

Kudos [?]: 3303 [4] , given: 38

Re: There are those who complain that municipal libraries are ou [#permalink] New post 21 Aug 2012, 19:40
4
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
voodoochild wrote:
There are those who complain that municipal libraries are outdated and unnecessary. These same people object to the tax dollars spent funding municipal libraries. However, these people are missing out on a simple pleasure: reading a great book. Taken this way, libraries are truly wonderful resources worthy of public funding.
The two boldface portions play which of the following roles?
(A) The first is a generalization accepted by the author as true; the second is a consequence that follows from the truth of that generalization.
(B) The first is evidence that supports one of two contradictory points of view; the second is the second point of view.
(C) The first is a commonly held point of view; the second is support for that point of view.
(D) The first is one of two contradictory points of view; the second is the other point of view.
(E) The first concedes a consideration that weighs against the viewpoint of the author; the second is that viewpoint.

Can someone explain why B and E are incorrect? Thanks

I got a p.m. from my friend voodoochild, so I am responding.

Let's dissect this argument.
Sentence #1 --- statement of fact --- there are people that are down on libraries --- this is kinda evidence for Sentence #2
Sentence #2 (bold) --- statement of fact ---- they hold View #1
Sentence #3 --- big change of gears, new perspective, evidence for Sentence #4
Sentence #4 (bold) --- author states View #2 as his conclusion.

The reason I called Sentence #2 "View #1" was because --- that's a direct contrast to the author's conclusion --- the author wants to spend public money on libraries, and sentence #2 expresses the exact opposite of that.

So, first bold is one view, second bold is another view. (D) describes that reasonably well.

What's wrong with (B)?
(B) The first is evidence that supports one of two contradictory points of view; the second is the second point of view.
Well, I agree with the second half --- the second bold is the second point of view. The first part though --- think about it this way:
Sentence #1 = they have views: libraries are outdated
Sentence #2 = they have fiscal recommendation: don't fund libraries.
Which way does cause-and-effect point? Does it point from Sentence #1 to Sentence #2, or vice versa?
Do they want to cut funding to libraries because they think they're outdated?
Or do they think libraries are outdated because they want to cut funding to them?
I would say the former is a much more likely order of logic. People decide such-and-such an institution is no good, then they start to gripe about tax money going to it.
The thing that is the supporting reason is the evidence --- so sentence #1 is evidence for sentence #2, which is the view itself, not the other way around.
Sentence #2 is NOT "evidence that supports one of two contradictory points of view" ---- rather, it IS that contradictory view, and sentence #1 is the evidence.
Does that make sense?

What's wrong with (E)?
(E) The first concedes a consideration that weighs against the viewpoint of the author; the second is that viewpoint.
First of all, the author made no concessions --- in the first two sentences, the author was just objective descriptive and dispassionate. Conceding means the author says something like, "I hate to admit it, but my opponents are right when they say ..." Concession has to involve some kind of approval given to the opposing view. This author merely states that view, and says nothing in support of it.
Second, that sentence is not a "consideration" --- it's not a thoughtful reflective introspective insight into something meaningful about the issue. No, it's just those loud mouths saying, "We don't want tax money going to the outdated library!" That's a statement of fact, and not a particularly delicate one at that.
A consideration would be along the lines of "It occurs to me, if one were to think through the long-term consequences of such a policy, etc." It connotes thoughtfulness, a product of reflection, something that involves insight that would not be readily apparent to everyone. Sentence #2 is nothing of the sort.
Sentence #2 is simply a direct statement of the view that the author opposes, no more.

Does that make sense?
Mike :-)
_________________

Mike McGarry
Magoosh Test Prep

Image

Image

Expert Post
2 KUDOS received
Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor
User avatar
Joined: 16 Oct 2010
Posts: 5850
Location: Pune, India
Followers: 1478

Kudos [?]: 7929 [2] , given: 190

Re: There are those who complain that municipal libraries are ou [#permalink] New post 21 Aug 2012, 20:37
2
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
voodoochild wrote:
There are those who complain that municipal libraries are outdated and unnecessary. These same people object to the tax dollars spent funding municipal libraries. However, these people are missing out on a simple pleasure: reading a great book. Taken this way, libraries are truly wonderful resources worthy of public funding.

The two boldface portions play which of the following roles?

(A) The first is a generalization accepted by the author as true; the second is a consequence that follows from the truth of that generalization.
(B) The first is evidence that supports one of two contradictory points of view; the second is the second point of view.
(C) The first is a commonly held point of view; the second is support for that point of view.
(D) The first is one of two contradictory points of view; the second is the other point of view.
(E) The first concedes a consideration that weighs against the viewpoint of the author; the second is that viewpoint.

Can someone explain why B and E are incorrect? Thanks


Responding to a pm:
(Though Mike has already explained it well, I will add some of my thoughts here.)

There are two opposite viewpoints.
View 1: Libraries are outdated and unnecessary. Don't fund them.
View 2: Libraries are wonderful resources worthy of public funding.

I hope you see that (D) is correct.

(B) is incorrect because 'don't fund libraries' is not evidence. It is a part of the point of view. When you say libraries are outdated, you are not supporting your statement if you add 'don't fund them'. You are still giving your opinion only. What would be evidence? "Number of people visiting the libraries has dwindled over the years. Most people like to read e-books instead of paper backs nowadays." etc

What is "conceding a consideration that weighs against your viewpoint"? It means "giving in to a reason supporting the opposite viewpoint."
Say, if the library-haters say, "The community will be better served if the public funding is instead diverted to the hospitals." and the author says, "I agree that our hospitals need the public funding more than the libraries but ..." then he just conceded a consideration that weighs against his viewpoint.
_________________

Karishma
Veritas Prep | GMAT Instructor
My Blog

Get started with Veritas Prep GMAT On Demand for $199

Veritas Prep Reviews

Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 16 Feb 2011
Posts: 197
Schools: ABCD
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 88 [0], given: 78

Re: There are those who complain that municipal libraries are ou [#permalink] New post 22 Aug 2012, 19:00
mikemcgarry wrote:

What's wrong with (E)?
(E) The first concedes a consideration that weighs against the viewpoint of the author; the second is that viewpoint.
First of all, the author made no concessions --- in the first two sentences, the author was just objective descriptive and dispassionate. Conceding means the author says something like, "I hate to admit it, but my opponents are right when they say ..." Concession has to involve some kind of approval given to the opposing view. This author merely states that view, and says nothing in support of it.


Mike and Karishma,

Thanks for your helpful reply. I am quoting Mike's analysis because both of you have said the same thing by using a different example.

I actually thought about the "concession part" while solving this question, but then I questioned my own reasoning because E), the way it's worded, doesn't specifically state that the author is conceding. It just states that the statement is conceding to blah blah blah. In other words, the question says: "The two boldface portions play which of the following roles? " E) says "The first concedes a consideration that weighs against the viewpoint of the author; the second is that viewpoint. " Here, as we can see, E) specifically highlights that the second sentence is author's viewpoint and has left open the possibility that the first is not author's view point. My question is : why are you guys concluding that the author is actually conceding?

Please help me. Your replies are really helpful.

mikemcgarry wrote:
Second, that sentence is not a "consideration" --- it's not a thoughtful reflective introspective insight into something meaningful about the issue. No, it's just those loud mouths saying, "We don't want tax money going to the outdated library!" That's a statement of fact, and not a particularly delicate one at that.
A consideration would be along the lines of "It occurs to me, if one were to think through the long-term consequences of such a policy, etc." It connotes thoughtfulness, a product of reflection, something that involves insight that would not be readily apparent to everyone. Sentence #2 is nothing of the sort.
Sentence #2 is simply a direct statement of the view that the author opposes, no more.


As per the dictionary, "consideration" also means "A discussion of a topic (as in a meeting)." I see your point that the first statement is not something author agrees. But, it could be considered a thoughtful analysis presented by some John Doe. The answer choice E) doesn't specifically state that the first statement is a consideration by the author. In fact, the way E) is worded, it feels that E) is giving to the fact that the first statement is someone else's consideration. E) specifically talks about author's viewpoint. It doesn't state who is considering or conceding to the first statement. It leaves open the possibility for the aliens to concede to it.

To be honest, even before reading the answer choices, my intuition told me that the two statements are merely opinion - one by some John Doe and the other by the author. However, when I looked at the answer choices, I was swallowed in the labyrinthine marshy GMATland :(

Please let me know your thoughts.

Voodoo Child
Current Student
avatar
Status: Waiting ! Waiting ! ..
Joined: 14 Mar 2012
Posts: 69
Location: India
Schools: Kelley '16 (A)
GMAT 1: 720 Q50 V37
GMAT 2: 740 Q50 V40
GPA: 3.5
WE: Project Management (Non-Profit and Government)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 17 [0], given: 9

Re: There are those who complain that municipal libraries are ou [#permalink] New post 20 Sep 2013, 13:06
i too think its E ..

1st Bold faced sentence concedes a consideration that weighs against the author's view point which is the second statement..

Whats wrong with this ??
Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
User avatar
Joined: 28 Dec 2011
Posts: 2506
Followers: 814

Kudos [?]: 3303 [1] , given: 38

Re: There are those who complain that municipal libraries are ou [#permalink] New post 20 Sep 2013, 14:34
1
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
bharath2787 wrote:
i too think its E ..

1st Bold faced sentence concedes a consideration that weighs against the author's view point which is the second statement..

Whats wrong with this ??

Did you read my argument in the third post from the top of the page? Did you read Karishma's wise words in the following post? What in those two arguments do you not understand? Are there points with which you do not agree? Present a counter-argument to what we have said, and we will have something to discuss.
Mike :-)
_________________

Mike McGarry
Magoosh Test Prep

Image

Image

Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 13 Nov 2014
Posts: 8
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 133

There are those who complain that municipal libraries are [#permalink] New post 14 Jan 2015, 20:29
Hi there,

I read the two long explanations above from Mike and Karishma and still could not get rid of answer choice B:

(B) The first is evidence that supports one of two contradictory points of view; the second is the second point of view.

Here is my understanding of the stimulus in a different view:

"There are those who complain that municipal libraries are outdated and unnecessary. These same people object to the tax dollars spent funding municipal libraries."

I understand this two sentence under the view of the writer as: "There are those who complain about and view that municipal libraries as outdated and unnecessary. Look, they already object to tax dollars spent funding municipal libraries, so they clearly think municipal libraries as unnecessary to be funded!"

Understanding as such, I clearly reason the 2nd sentence as an evidence to support the first sentence, the view. Hence, choice B, not D, is correct. More importantly, I cannot comprehend why sentence 2 can be a view. Citing an act of these people (object to tax dollar spent on municipal libraries) is to prove that these people already have a view about municipal libraries being unnecessary, so the action they took (object to tax spent) is reasonable.

Can someone point out something I have overlooked or applied incorrectly, if that was the case?
_________________

Please kudo if you find the post helpful :)

Expert Post
Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor
User avatar
Joined: 16 Oct 2010
Posts: 5850
Location: Pune, India
Followers: 1478

Kudos [?]: 7929 [0], given: 190

Re: There are those who complain that municipal libraries are [#permalink] New post 14 Jan 2015, 21:31
Expert's post
tieurongthieng wrote:
Hi there,

I read the two long explanations above from Mike and Karishma and still could not get rid of answer choice B:

(B) The first is evidence that supports one of two contradictory points of view; the second is the second point of view.

Here is my understanding of the stimulus in a different view:

"There are those who complain that municipal libraries are outdated and unnecessary. These same people object to the tax dollars spent funding municipal libraries."

I understand this two sentence under the view of the writer as: "There are those who complain about and view that municipal libraries as outdated and unnecessary. Look, they already object to tax dollars spent funding municipal libraries, so they clearly think municipal libraries as unnecessary to be funded!"

Understanding as such, I clearly reason the 2nd sentence as an evidence to support the first sentence, the view. Hence, choice B, not D, is correct. More importantly, I cannot comprehend why sentence 2 can be a view. Citing an act of these people (object to tax dollar spent on municipal libraries) is to prove that these people already have a view about municipal libraries being unnecessary, so the action they took (object to tax spent) is reasonable.

Can someone point out something I have overlooked or applied incorrectly, if that was the case?


Quick question: Do you whole heartedly agree that view 2 is this: libraries are truly wonderful resources worthy of public funding?

Think about it properly before you answer.

View 2: libraries are truly wonderful resources worthy of public funding

Now, why do you think that view 1 is not represented by these two sentences:

There are those who complain that municipal libraries are outdated and unnecessary. These same people object tothe tax dollars spent funding municipal libraries

Is it because it is split into two sentences?
_________________

Karishma
Veritas Prep | GMAT Instructor
My Blog

Get started with Veritas Prep GMAT On Demand for $199

Veritas Prep Reviews

Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 13 Nov 2014
Posts: 8
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 133

Re: There are those who complain that municipal libraries are [#permalink] New post 14 Jan 2015, 22:07
VeritasPrepKarishma wrote:
tieurongthieng wrote:
Hi there,

I read the two long explanations above from Mike and Karishma and still could not get rid of answer choice B:

(B) The first is evidence that supports one of two contradictory points of view; the second is the second point of view.

Here is my understanding of the stimulus in a different view:

"There are those who complain that municipal libraries are outdated and unnecessary. These same people object to the tax dollars spent funding municipal libraries."

I understand this two sentence under the view of the writer as: "There are those who complain about and view that municipal libraries as outdated and unnecessary. Look, they already object to tax dollars spent funding municipal libraries, so they clearly think municipal libraries as unnecessary to be funded!"

Understanding as such, I clearly reason the 2nd sentence as an evidence to support the first sentence, the view. Hence, choice B, not D, is correct. More importantly, I cannot comprehend why sentence 2 can be a view. Citing an act of these people (object to tax dollar spent on municipal libraries) is to prove that these people already have a view about municipal libraries being unnecessary, so the action they took (object to tax spent) is reasonable.

Can someone point out something I have overlooked or applied incorrectly, if that was the case?


Quick question: Do you whole heartedly agree that view 2 is this: libraries are truly wonderful resources worthy of public funding?

Think about it properly before you answer.

View 2: libraries are truly wonderful resources worthy of public funding

Now, why do you think that view 1 is not represented by these two sentences:

There are those who complain that municipal libraries are outdated and unnecessary. These same people object tothe tax dollars spent funding municipal libraries

Is it because it is split into two sentences?


Thank Karishma for the quick follow up.

There is no deny that view 2 is: libraries are truly wonderful resources worthy of public funding. The view is: Libraries are wonderful resources worthy of public funding. We can conclude this view because of sentence 3: Reading great books are great pleasure, thus library are great, and since it is great, it is worthy to be funded.

I agree that view 1 is represented by the first two sentences. My problem is that I consider sentence 1 to be a view, as "these libraries are outdated and unnecessary" as view, supported by the evidence that "these people object to fund library, proving their view of library as outdated is confirmed".

After pondering over the questions for a few more minutes, I realize things would be more simple to understand if I understand the structure of the stimulus to be parallel, which means:
Sentence 1: Evidence
Sentence 2: View
then:
Sentence 3: Evidence
Sentence 3: View

So sentence 2: "These same people object to fund library" can become the view: "Libraries are not worth to be funded", because of the 1st sentence: "they are really outdated and unnecessary!". Comparing this 1st view to the 2nd view: "libraries are worth to be funded", then boom, things are 100% clear now!

Looking back, I think my issue is not comprehending fully the 2nd view: Libraries are wonderful resources worthy of public funding. Without connecting to the 3rd sentence, which provides the evidence explain why libraries are wonderful resources, I mistakenly shorten the 2nd view to: "Libraries are wonderful resources", thus looking for the 1st view as "Library are not wonderful resources", which was my mistake. The 1st view should be "Libraries are not worth be funded".

Long reply and could have been written more concise, but please do tell me if my reasoning are correct and is there anything that can be added to it? :)

P/S: If there are only sentence 1 and 2, the view really could be understood both ways to me! It is sentence 3 and 4 that clarify the 1st view! :D
_________________

Please kudo if you find the post helpful :)

Expert Post
Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor
User avatar
Joined: 16 Oct 2010
Posts: 5850
Location: Pune, India
Followers: 1478

Kudos [?]: 7929 [0], given: 190

Re: There are those who complain that municipal libraries are [#permalink] New post 14 Jan 2015, 22:35
Expert's post
tieurongthieng wrote:
Thank Karishma for the quick follow up.

There is no deny that view 2 is: libraries are truly wonderful resources worthy of public funding. The view is: Libraries are wonderful resources worthy of public funding. We can conclude this view because of sentence 3: Reading great books are great pleasure, thus library are great, and since it is great, it is worthy to be funded.

I agree that view 1 is represented by the first two sentences. My problem is that I consider sentence 1 to be a view, as "these libraries are outdated and unnecessary" as view, supported by the evidence that "these people object to fund library, proving their view of library as outdated is confirmed".

After pondering over the questions for a few more minutes, I realize things would be more simple to understand if I understand the structure of the stimulus to be parallel, which means:
Sentence 1: Evidence
Sentence 2: View
then:
Sentence 3: Evidence
Sentence 3: View

So sentence 2: "These same people object to fund library" can become the view: "Libraries are not worth to be funded", because of the 1st sentence: "they are really outdated and unnecessary!". Comparing this 1st view to the 2nd view: "libraries are worth to be funded", then boom, things are 100% clear now!

Looking back, I think my issue is not comprehending fully the 2nd view: Libraries are wonderful resources worthy of public funding. Without connecting to the 3rd sentence, which provides the evidence explain why libraries are wonderful resources, I mistakenly shorten the 2nd view to: "Libraries are wonderful resources", thus looking for the 1st view as "Library are not wonderful resources", which was my mistake. The 1st view should be "Libraries are not worth be funded".

Long reply and could have been written more concise, but please do tell me if my reasoning are correct and is there anything that can be added to it? :)

P/S: If there are only sentence 1 and 2, the view really could be understood both ways to me! It is sentence 3 and 4 that clarify the 1st view! :D


To me, it isn't necessarily an evidence and view scenario:

For example: She is a wonderful human being worthy of my attention.
is not necessarily the same as "She is a wonderful human being and hence worthy of my attention."

I could be giving two characteristics: She is wonderful and she is worthy of my attention (could be because of multiple factors such as she is smart, witty, sincere, wonderful ... )

Therefore, I am not entirely convinced about your Evidence and View setup though you might consider it one way of looking at the argument.
_________________

Karishma
Veritas Prep | GMAT Instructor
My Blog

Get started with Veritas Prep GMAT On Demand for $199

Veritas Prep Reviews

Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 13 Nov 2014
Posts: 8
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 133

Re: There are those who complain that municipal libraries are [#permalink] New post 14 Jan 2015, 23:14
VeritasPrepKarishma wrote:
tieurongthieng wrote:
Thank Karishma for the quick follow up.

There is no deny that view 2 is: libraries are truly wonderful resources worthy of public funding. The view is: Libraries are wonderful resources worthy of public funding. We can conclude this view because of sentence 3: Reading great books are great pleasure, thus library are great, and since it is great, it is worthy to be funded.

I agree that view 1 is represented by the first two sentences. My problem is that I consider sentence 1 to be a view, as "these libraries are outdated and unnecessary" as view, supported by the evidence that "these people object to fund library, proving their view of library as outdated is confirmed".

After pondering over the questions for a few more minutes, I realize things would be more simple to understand if I understand the structure of the stimulus to be parallel, which means:
Sentence 1: Evidence
Sentence 2: View
then:
Sentence 3: Evidence
Sentence 3: View

So sentence 2: "These same people object to fund library" can become the view: "Libraries are not worth to be funded", because of the 1st sentence: "they are really outdated and unnecessary!". Comparing this 1st view to the 2nd view: "libraries are worth to be funded", then boom, things are 100% clear now!

Looking back, I think my issue is not comprehending fully the 2nd view: Libraries are wonderful resources worthy of public funding. Without connecting to the 3rd sentence, which provides the evidence explain why libraries are wonderful resources, I mistakenly shorten the 2nd view to: "Libraries are wonderful resources", thus looking for the 1st view as "Library are not wonderful resources", which was my mistake. The 1st view should be "Libraries are not worth be funded".

Long reply and could have been written more concise, but please do tell me if my reasoning are correct and is there anything that can be added to it? :)

P/S: If there are only sentence 1 and 2, the view really could be understood both ways to me! It is sentence 3 and 4 that clarify the 1st view! :D


To me, it isn't necessarily an evidence and view scenario:

For example: She is a wonderful human being worthy of my attention.
is not necessarily the same as "She is a wonderful human being and hence worthy of my attention."

I could be giving two characteristics: She is wonderful and she is worthy of my attention (could be because of multiple factors such as she is smart, witty, sincere, wonderful ... )

Therefore, I am not entirely convinced about your Evidence and View setup though you might consider it one way of looking at the argument.


Oh then we are working on clarifying the 2nd view here?

I understood your example and definitely agree with what you said. They don't necessarily being the same. We can, however, based on the 3rd sentence, induce that the sentence meant: "The libraries is wonderful and hence worthy of being funded", as the 3rd sentence said reading book is a pleasure, which, "taken this way", points out that libraries are wonderful.

I am more interested in the dual meaning of the first two sentences. We can think under these people's viewpoint: "Libraries are outdated and unnecessary, thus we will object funding it!", or we can think under the writer's viewpoint: "These people think libraries are outdated and unnecessary, and look, they object funding the libraries, an act that proves what I just said!" In the 1st example, the 2nd sentence is the view/conclusion, while in the 2nd example, the first sentence is the view/conclusion.

If only there is a way to differentiate these two instances faster, without the need of the 3rd and 4th sentence here... :)
_________________

Please kudo if you find the post helpful :)

Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 22 Aug 2014
Posts: 204
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 49

Re: There are those who complain that municipal libraries are [#permalink] New post 23 May 2015, 07:01
VeritasPrepKarishma wrote:
tieurongthieng wrote:
Hi there,

I read the two long explanations above from Mike and Karishma and still could not get rid of answer choice B:

(B) The first is evidence that supports one of two contradictory points of view; the second is the second point of view.

Here is my understanding of the stimulus in a different view:

"There are those who complain that municipal libraries are outdated and unnecessary. These same people object to the tax dollars spent funding municipal libraries."

I understand this two sentence under the view of the writer as: "There are those who complain about and view that municipal libraries as outdated and unnecessary. Look, they already object to tax dollars spent funding municipal libraries, so they clearly think municipal libraries as unnecessary to be funded!"

Understanding as such, I clearly reason the 2nd sentence as an evidence to support the first sentence, the view. Hence, choice B, not D, is correct. More importantly, I cannot comprehend why sentence 2 can be a view. Citing an act of these people (object to tax dollar spent on municipal libraries) is to prove that these people already have a view about municipal libraries being unnecessary, so the action they took (object to tax spent) is reasonable.

Can someone point out something I have overlooked or applied incorrectly, if that was the case?


Quick question: Do you whole heartedly agree that view 2 is this: libraries are truly wonderful resources worthy of public funding?

Think about it properly before you answer.

View 2: libraries are truly wonderful resources worthy of public funding

Now, why do you think that view 1 is not represented by these two sentences:

There are those who complain that municipal libraries are outdated and unnecessary. These same people object tothe tax dollars spent funding municipal libraries

Is it because it is split into two sentences?

VeritasPrepKarishma and mikemcgarry,
I have one doubt.I know its between B and D.
IN D,THE FIRST STATEMENT IS POINT OF VIEW
IN B,FIRST STATEMENT IS EVIDENCE.
As far as I have done bold-face,claim/point of view can be disputed but evidence cannot be disputed.If people are funding libraries.This cannot be disputed,so it should be evidence.
Please explain this doubt !
Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
User avatar
Joined: 28 Dec 2011
Posts: 2506
Followers: 814

Kudos [?]: 3303 [1] , given: 38

There are those who complain that municipal libraries are [#permalink] New post 23 May 2015, 13:11
1
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
ssriva2 wrote:
VeritasPrepKarishma and mikemcgarry,
I have one doubt.I know its between B and D.
IN D,THE FIRST STATEMENT IS POINT OF VIEW
IN B,FIRST STATEMENT IS EVIDENCE.
As far as I have done bold-face,claim/point of view can be disputed but evidence cannot be disputed.If people are funding libraries.This cannot be disputed,so it should be evidence.
Please explain this doubt !

Dear ssriva2,
I'm happy to respond. :-)

Here's the question again:
There are those who complain that municipal libraries are outdated and unnecessary. These same people object to the tax dollars spent funding municipal libraries. However, these people are missing out on a simple pleasure: reading a great book. Taken this way, libraries are truly wonderful resources worthy of public funding.

The two boldface portions play which of the following roles?

(A) The first is a generalization accepted by the author as true; the second is a consequence that follows from the truth of that generalization.
(B) The first is evidence that supports one of two contradictory points of view; the second is the second point of view.
(C) The first is a commonly held point of view; the second is support for that point of view.
(D) The first is one of two contradictory points of view; the second is the other point of view.
(E) The first concedes a consideration that weighs against the viewpoint of the author; the second is that viewpoint.


Here's the tricky thing:. That first bold statement is a report of the view of someone. If someone says, "I object to the tax dollars spent funding municipal libraries" that's a point-of-view, and we could dispute that. But this sentence is a report of a point-of-view:
These same people object to the tax dollars spent funding municipal libraries.
Well, we can't dispute the fact that there are some people who say this, some people who have this point of view. In that sense, it's evidence as well.

Here, context is important. The point of this sentence in the passage is to present the point-of-view itself, not to discuss the people who are saying this. In that sense, it's better to call it a point-of-view.

Does this make sense?
Mike :-)
_________________

Mike McGarry
Magoosh Test Prep

Image

Image

There are those who complain that municipal libraries are   [#permalink] 23 May 2015, 13:11
    Similar topics Author Replies Last post
Similar
Topics:
Those who think with a hierarchical mentality strive for hkm_gmat 6 29 Dec 2005, 10:41
It is true of both men and women that those who marry as nakib77 3 17 Dec 2005, 10:36
Susan: Those who oppose experimentation on animals do not nakib77 6 12 Oct 2005, 12:50
Those who think globalization is a great American conspiracy mohish 7 26 Sep 2005, 04:56
Susan: Those who oppose experimentation on animals do not ywilfred 7 10 Sep 2005, 04:43
Display posts from previous: Sort by

There are those who complain that municipal libraries are

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  


GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Privacy Policy| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group and phpBB SEO

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.