Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 15:45 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 15:45

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 206 [83]
Given Kudos: 35
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 180 [31]
Given Kudos: 25
Send PM
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64923 [15]
Given Kudos: 426
Send PM
General Discussion
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 1519 [10]
Given Kudos: 20
Send PM
Re: There is a 10% chance that it won't snow all winter long [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
obs23 wrote:
There is a 10% chance that it won't snow all winter long. There is a 20% chance that schools will not be closed all winter long. What is the greatest possible probability that it will snow and schools will be closed during the winter?

(A) 55%
(B) 60%
(C) 70%
(D) 72%
(E) 80%

I have seen several explanations on this one and I cannot understand the point of intersection I guess...Has anyone seen similar problems they saw here (specifically with given probabilities) or perhaps I am looking for a parallel (gumballs, etc) to this problem.

There is one rule on dependent probability P(A) + P(B) - P(AB) but clearly this is not the case here. The dice are independent. With colored balls, we could calculate what happens after the balls taken away (when they are not replaced) and it makes sense. With this type of problem, I do not know what to precisely think of dependent probability :( And what is up with solving probability with overlapping sets or the matrix?

And what exactly happens when we multiply 90% and 80% conceptually? I mean what does that presume and why it is not correct? Basically, a thorough breakdown of this problem would be very helpful.

Please remember that I have seen other explanations, and my questions are based on them. Probably the best of them are:
"The greatest possible probability will occur when b is dependent on a. Thus it will be their intersection set. Hence answer = 0.8"

"They're asking for the greatest possible probability. This will occur if whenever it snows, schools close. This is a causation problem. That means schools will close only if it snows, but not all the time it snows. So you don't have to multiply .9*.8, because each time .8 occurs, .9 will be in effect as well."

I do not understand exactly what they mean...Anyway, I hope you see where I am aiming.

We have p (A n B) = p(A) + p(B) - p(A u B)

p(A) is the probability that it will snow
p(B) is the probability that the schools will close

p(A n B) will be maximum when p(A u B) is minimum but p(A u B) cannot be less than the higher of the p(A) and p(B) i.e, cannot be less than 0.9.

In the above case B is totally dependent on A. i.,e schools close whenever and only when it snows. So the p(AUB) effectively becomes p(A).

The answer is p(A n B) = 0.9+0.8-0.9= 0.8

In other words the greatest probability is the probability of B.
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64923 [9]
Given Kudos: 426
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
dina98 wrote:
Could someone please explain how P(A intersection B) is calculated differently from P(A U B)? Thanks

A intersection B is whatever is common between the two sets.

Either you will be given its value or if they are independent events, then P(A intersection B) = P(A) * P(B).

For mutually exclusive events, P(A intersection B) = 0. Mutually exclusive events are those which cannot happen at the same time such as "Getting heads on flipping a coin" and "Getting tails on flipping a coin".

When there is some dependence in the events, the maximum value the intersection can have is the lower of the two probabilities.
Say P(A) = 0.4 and P(B) = 0.7.
The maximum probability of intersection can be 0.4 because P(A) = 0.4.
The minimum value of P(A intersection B) will be 0.1 since probability cannot exceed 1 so P(A U B) is maximum 1.
1 = 0.4 + 0.7 - P(A intersection B)
P(A intersection B) = 0.1 (at least)

Actual value of P(A intersection B) will lie somewhere between 0.1 and 0.4 (inclusive)

A union B is the sum of whatever is common between them and the elements which are contained in one set only.
P(A U B) = P(A) + P(B) - P(A intersection B)
GMAT Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 9244 [7]
Given Kudos: 91
 Q51  V47
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
varotkorn wrote:

If the question were What is the MINIMUM probability that it will snow and schools will be closed during the winter?

Would the answer be 0.7 (using matrix/grid) or 0.72 (by assuming independent)?

You multiply probabilities when you have two unrelated ("independent") events, and want to know the probability both events will happen. Multiplication has nothing to do with finding "minimum" or "maximum" probabilities.

If you're asked to find the "minimum" or "maximum" probability two events occur, the events really must be *dependent* (related in some way). If they were independent, there's a single numerical answer to the question "what is the probability both events occur?" so there'd be no reason to ask for a "minimum" or "maximum". For example, it wouldn't make sense to ask "if you flip two coins, what is the minimum probability both coins turn up Heads?" because there is an exact answer to that question: it's 1/4. There's no "minimum" or "maximum" answer.

So if you're asked to find a minimum or maximum probability of two events occurring, the events will be dependent, and then you always need to use Venn diagram (or matrix, if you prefer) methods to answer. You'll just want to try to maximize or minimize the overlap in your Venn diagram, using the fact that the probabilities of all of the events must sum to 1. As you found, the minimum probability in this question is 0.7 (which you find by assuming at least one event must happen).

If you do multiply 0.9 and 0.8 in this question, all you are doing is finding one possible answer to the question "what is the probability both events occur?", the answer when the two events happen to be independent. The answer you find, 0.72, won't be the minimum or the maximum -- it will be somewhere in between the min and max.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 161 [4]
Given Kudos: 23
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
GMAT 1: 570 Q46 V23
GMAT 2: 710 Q49 V38
GPA: 2.9
WE:Information Technology (Computer Software)
Send PM
Kudos
hi obs,

there are 2 events
1) p(A) (probability it will snow all longer)=0.1
2) p(B)(probability the school will remain close all winter longer)= 1- 0.2 = 0.8

now if you go by rule for joint sets p(A u B) = p(A)+p(B) - p(AandB)
therefore p(AandB)= 0.1 + 0.8 - p(A u B)

now you can just think that p(AandB) could only be max when B is subset of A thereby P(A u B) would be 0.1

hence max p(AandB) would be 0.8,

I hope i made sense
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 255 [4]
Given Kudos: 109
Send PM
Kudos
Hi Karishma

While i get the logic of your answer, i always understood that probability of event A and Probability of event B occurring is P(A)*P(B). So here is applied the same and got the answer as 0.9*0.8 = 0.72.
Whats wrong with it? Please help to explain.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 110 [3]
Given Kudos: 93
GMAT 1: 570 Q50 V19
GMAT 2: 650 Q49 V28
GMAT 3: 690 Q50 V34
WE:Information Technology (Investment Banking)
Send PM
Kudos
Basically, the probability is 0.72 when both of the events are mutually exclusive. When they are dependent you got to use the equation

P(AUB) = P(A) + P(B) - P(A intersection B)
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 1519 [2]
Given Kudos: 20
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
obs23 wrote:
Helpful guys. Appreciate your efforts. Sravna just to clarify:

We have p (A n B) = p(A) + p(B) - p(A u B)

p(A) is the probability that it will snow
p(B) is the probability that the schools will close

Quote:
p(A n B) will be maximum when p(A u B) is minimum
You mean when p(A u B) maximized, don't you?

In other words, the P(ANB) is maximized when P(AORB) is maximized and this maximization happens only when B is completely dependent on A, becoming A and P(AORB)=P(B). Seem to make sense now. Hope I won't be trapped next time.

Hi,

I meant p(A u B) is minimized i.e., the probability either A or B occurring is minimum. This minimum is equal to the higher of p(A) and p(B) because it cannot be less than that. p(A) is the higher probability. So p(AUB) is equal to p(A).

So p(A n B) = p(A) + p(B) - p(A u B) becomes
p(A n B) = p(A) + p(B) -p(A)
p(A n B) = p(B)= 0.8
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 107 [2]
Given Kudos: 40
Send PM
Kudos