Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 13 Jul 2014, 16:47

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

There is a 10% chance that it won't snow all winter long

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 33

There is a 10% chance that it won't snow all winter long [#permalink] New post 03 Sep 2013, 22:13
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

45% (medium)

Question Stats:

35% (02:12) correct 64% (00:50) wrong based on 81 sessions
There is a 10% chance that it won't snow all winter long. There is a 20% chance that schools will not be closed all winter long. What is the greatest possible probability that it will snow and schools will be closed during the winter?

(A) 55%
(B) 60%
(C) 70%
(D) 72%
(E) 80%

I have seen several explanations on this one and I cannot understand the point of intersection I guess...Has anyone seen similar problems they saw here (specifically with given probabilities) or perhaps I am looking for a parallel (gumballs, etc) to this problem.

There is one rule on dependent probability P(A) + P(B) - P(AB) but clearly this is not the case here. The dice are independent. With colored balls, we could calculate what happens after the balls taken away (when they are not replaced) and it makes sense. With this type of problem, I do not know what to precisely think of dependent probability :( And what is up with solving probability with overlapping sets or the matrix?

And what exactly happens when we multiply 90% and 80% conceptually? I mean what does that presume and why it is not correct? Basically, a thorough breakdown of this problem would be very helpful.

Please remember that I have seen other explanations, and my questions are based on them. Probably the best of them are:
"The greatest possible probability will occur when b is dependent on a. Thus it will be their intersection set. Hence answer = 0.8"

"They're asking for the greatest possible probability. This will occur if whenever it snows, schools close. This is a causation problem. That means schools will close only if it snows, but not all the time it snows. So you don't have to multiply .9*.8, because each time .8 occurs, .9 will be in effect as well."

I do not understand exactly what they mean...Anyway, I hope you see where I am aiming.
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

There are times when I do not mind kudos...I do enjoy giving some for help

1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
GMAT 1: 570 Q46 V23
GMAT 2: 710 Q49 V38
GPA: 2.9
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 9 [1] , given: 23

Re: There is a 10% chance that it won't snow all winter long [#permalink] New post 04 Sep 2013, 20:53
This post received
KUDOS
hi obs,

there are 2 events
1) p(A) (probability it will snow all longer)=0.1
2) p(B)(probability the school will remain close all winter longer)= 1- 0.2 = 0.8

now if you go by rule for joint sets p(A u B) = p(A)+p(B) - p(AandB)
therefore p(AandB)= 0.1 + 0.8 - p(A u B)

now you can just think that p(AandB) could only be max when B is subset of A thereby P(A u B) would be 0.1

hence max p(AandB) would be 0.8,

I hope i made sense

Help with Kudos if I add to your knowledge realm.

2 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 17 [2] , given: 25

Re: There is a 10% chance that it won't snow all winter long [#permalink] New post 04 Sep 2013, 22:18
This post received
KUDOS
Easily solved with a small table

Here we can infer the values in blue.

So the question asks us what is the maximum for which both C and S are satisfied. The maximum possible value for S is already 80%. For S is 90%. So the maximum for both is 80% (since anything more will no satisfy C i.e. more than 80%).

Hope it helps
Attachments

Untitled.png
Untitled.png [ 3.22 KiB | Viewed 834 times ]

1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 10

Kudos [?]: 145 [1] , given: 9

Re: There is a 10% chance that it won't snow all winter long [#permalink] New post 05 Sep 2013, 00:30
This post received
KUDOS
obs23 wrote:
There is a 10% chance that it won't snow all winter long. There is a 20% chance that schools will not be closed all winter long. What is the greatest possible probability that it will snow and schools will be closed during the winter?

(A) 55%
(B) 60%
(C) 70%
(D) 72%
(E) 80%

I have seen several explanations on this one and I cannot understand the point of intersection I guess...Has anyone seen similar problems they saw here (specifically with given probabilities) or perhaps I am looking for a parallel (gumballs, etc) to this problem.

There is one rule on dependent probability P(A) + P(B) - P(AB) but clearly this is not the case here. The dice are independent. With colored balls, we could calculate what happens after the balls taken away (when they are not replaced) and it makes sense. With this type of problem, I do not know what to precisely think of dependent probability :( And what is up with solving probability with overlapping sets or the matrix?

And what exactly happens when we multiply 90% and 80% conceptually? I mean what does that presume and why it is not correct? Basically, a thorough breakdown of this problem would be very helpful.

Please remember that I have seen other explanations, and my questions are based on them. Probably the best of them are:
"The greatest possible probability will occur when b is dependent on a. Thus it will be their intersection set. Hence answer = 0.8"

"They're asking for the greatest possible probability. This will occur if whenever it snows, schools close. This is a causation problem. That means schools will close only if it snows, but not all the time it snows. So you don't have to multiply .9*.8, because each time .8 occurs, .9 will be in effect as well."

I do not understand exactly what they mean...Anyway, I hope you see where I am aiming.

We have p (A n B) = p(A) + p(B) - p(A u B)

p(A) is the probability that it will snow
p(B) is the probability that the schools will close

p(A n B) will be maximum when p(A u B) is minimum but p(A u B) cannot be less than the higher of the p(A) and p(B) i.e, cannot be less than 0.9.

In the above case B is totally dependent on A. i.,e schools close whenever and only when it snows. So the p(AUB) effectively becomes p(A).

The answer is p(A n B) = 0.9+0.8-0.9= 0.8

In other words the greatest probability is the probability of B.

Srinivasan Vaidyaraman
Sravna Test Prep
http://www.sravna.com/courses.php

Classroom Courses in Chennai

Manager
Manager

Re: There is a 10% chance that it won't snow all winter long [#permalink] New post 05 Sep 2013, 05:03
Helpful guys. Appreciate your efforts. Sravna just to clarify:

Quote:
p(A n B) will be maximum when p(A u B) is minimum
You mean when p(A u B) maximized, don't you?

In other words, the P(ANB) is maximized when P(AORB) is maximized and this maximization happens only when B is completely dependent on A, becoming A and P(AORB)=P(B). Seem to make sense now. Hope I won't be trapped next time.

Manager
Manager

Re: There is a 10% chance that it won't snow all winter long [#permalink] New post 05 Sep 2013, 05:09
adg142000 wrote:
hi obs,

there are 2 events
2) p(B)(probability the school will remain close all winter longer)= 1- 0.2 = 0.8

now you can just think that p(AandB) could only be max when B is subset of A thereby P(A u B) would be 0.1

I hope i made sense

It looks like you came from another angle, but it seems to me there are some mix ups. P(A) - will not snow all winter long? Anyhow, was wondering if what you meant was similar to what Sravna was saying? Thanks.

Intern
Intern
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
GMAT 1: 570 Q46 V23
GMAT 2: 710 Q49 V38
GPA: 2.9
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 23

Re: There is a 10% chance that it won't snow all winter long [#permalink] New post 05 Sep 2013, 05:32
obs23 wrote:
adg142000 wrote:
hi obs,

there are 2 events

I hope i made sense

It looks like you came from another angle, but it seems to me there are some mix ups. P(A) - will not snow all winter long? Anyhow, was wondering if what you meant was similar to what Sravna was saying? Thanks.

yeah i just missed that ,, you are right p(A) would be 0.9, blunder on my part ,,

Help with Kudos if I add to your knowledge realm.

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 10

Kudos [?]: 145 [0], given: 9

Re: There is a 10% chance that it won't snow all winter long [#permalink] New post 05 Sep 2013, 07:47
obs23 wrote:
Helpful guys. Appreciate your efforts. Sravna just to clarify:

Quote:
p(A n B) will be maximum when p(A u B) is minimum
You mean when p(A u B) maximized, don't you?

In other words, the P(ANB) is maximized when P(AORB) is maximized and this maximization happens only when B is completely dependent on A, becoming A and P(AORB)=P(B). Seem to make sense now. Hope I won't be trapped next time.

Hi,

I meant p(A u B) is minimized i.e., the probability either A or B occurring is minimum. This minimum is equal to the higher of p(A) and p(B) because it cannot be less than that. p(A) is the higher probability. So p(AUB) is equal to p(A).

So p(A n B) = p(A) + p(B) - p(A u B) becomes
p(A n B) = p(A) + p(B) -p(A)
p(A n B) = p(B)= 0.8

Srinivasan Vaidyaraman
Sravna Test Prep
http://www.sravna.com/courses.php

Classroom Courses in Chennai

Expert Post
Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor
Followers: 1013

Kudos [?]: 4333 [0], given: 161

Re: There is a 10% chance that it won't snow all winter long [#permalink] New post 06 Sep 2013, 22:27
Expert's post
obs23 wrote:

(A) 55%
(B) 60%
(C) 70%
(D) 72%
(E) 80%

Ok, let's try to understand the question stem:

There is a 10% chance that it won't snow all winter long. (by the way, there is some ambiguity in this statement)
implies there is a 90% chance that it will snow all winter long i.e. 9 out of 10 winters it will snow all winter long.

There is a 20% chance that schools will not be closed all winter long.
implies there is an 80% chance that schools will be closed all winter long i.e. 8 out of 10 winters school will be closed all winter long.

What is the greatest possible probability that it will snow and schools will be closed during the winter?
Attachment:
Ques3.jpg
Ques3.jpg [ 9.22 KiB | Viewed 690 times ]

What is the greatest possible overlap between the two? The 8 winters when the school is closed, it should snow all winter long too. That's when the overlap will be maximum. So probability is 0.8

Karishma
Veritas Prep | GMAT Instructor
My Blog

Save $100 on Veritas Prep GMAT Courses And Admissions Consulting
Enroll now. Pay later. Take advantage of Veritas Prep's flexible payment plan options.

Veritas Prep Reviews

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 23 [0], given: 110

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: There is a 10% chance that it won't snow all winter long [#permalink] New post 08 Sep 2013, 01:40
Hi Karishma

While i get the logic of your answer, i always understood that probability of event A and Probability of event B occurring is P(A)*P(B). So here is applied the same and got the answer as 0.9*0.8 = 0.72.
Whats wrong with it? Please help to explain.

“Confidence comes not from always being right but from not fearing to be wrong.”

Re: There is a 10% chance that it won't snow all winter long   [#permalink] 08 Sep 2013, 01:40