Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 15:42 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 15:42

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 4041 [19]
Given Kudos: 17
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 17 [6]
Given Kudos: 9
Send PM
General Discussion
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64923 [4]
Given Kudos: 426
Send PM
Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 633 [1]
Given Kudos: 66
Send PM
Re: There is a 50% chance Walcir will visit Chile this year [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
swarman wrote:
Hi Ron,
Can you please tell me whats wrong if we find probability by doing: C OR M-(C&M)??

:)

Hey Swarman, great question! A lot of people just plug in the formula and figure it will yield the right answer, but in this case you'd likely go directly to the trap answer C (without passing go or collecting 200$)

Let's look at the formula on a simple case. 2 fair coins, and we want to know if we'll get at least one Heads. We'd use the formula to say that the chance of getting heads on the first flip is 0.5, heads on the second is 0.5, and heads on both is 0.5x0.5 or 0.25. This gives us 0.5 + 0.5 - 0.25 = 0.75, which is correct. However, the question being asked here is "at least one head", which means HH is being counted in both calculations of 0.5. That's why we need to remove it afterwards, because it's being double counted, and should only be counted once.

In this example, the question is asking for exactly one or the other, which means both should be discarded. In the above coinflip example, there would be four possible outcomes: HH, HT, TH and TT. The question of at least one heads allows for HH, HT or TH. The question of exactly one heads allows for HT or TH, but not HH or TT. The question stem can dramatically change the question and send even the most experienced test taker towards a trap.

If you wanted to solve this by a formula, the same logic would apply, except it would be C or M - 2x(C&M). Logically, HH is being counted twice, when it should be counted zero times, so you must remove both instances of it from the equation. You can use this formula if you want, but the underlying logic is probably more helpful when faced with a tricky question on test day.

Hope this helps!
-Ron
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
swarman wrote:
Thank you so much Ron I completely got what u r trying to say,but since you mentioned that understanding of the concept is more reqd can u pls tell me if what i have deduced is right ? ''This gives us 0.5 + 0.5 - 0.25 = 0.75''.. you found this as the probability of finding Atleast one head - which could be in HT/HH +TH/HH-HH
and hence in the same question it has to be C or M - 2x(C&M) and NOT C or M -(C&M) as the latter would be STILL considering the option of both happening once.. right?

Hi swarman, exactly! C or M - (C*M) would mean you're still counting the possibility of both occurring once, which is why you have to remove it twice.

I mentioned that the understanding is more important than the formula(s) because the understanding will dictate how you use the formula(s), so you seem to be spot on here, which is great.

Try playing around with the question a little and seeing what it unlocks and what the test makers could try and lure you in with (example chances of going to Chile are 50% and Madagascar are 100%, or 0% and 50%, etc. You'll understand the problem from 360 degrees if you can feel comfortable with all the potential possibilities. That's what I try to do, but I'm a giant GMAT nerd :)

Hope this helps!
-Ron
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Perhaps wrote:
After reading all posts above, i got messed up with the basic concepts.
"Let's look at the formula on a simple case. 2 fair coins, and we want to know if we'll get at least one Heads. We'd use the formula to say that the chance of getting heads on the first flip is 0.5, heads on the second is 0.5, and heads on both is 0.5x0.5 or 0.25. This gives us 0.5 + 0.5 - 0.25 = 0.75, which is correct. "
If at least one head is needed in two flips, then propabilty should be " prob of head occuring in first coin (HT--->0.5) + prob of head occuring in second coin (HT--->0.5) + prob of head occuring in both the flips HH--->0.25 ( because we need that at least one head is occurring).
So , all the three probabilties shud be added. Y do v subtract the last one...and how its like " the question being asked here is "at least one head", which means HH is being counted in both calculations of 0.5. That's why we need to remove it afterwards, because it's being double counted, and should only be counted once." ??? ....in ques it is mentioned that "AT LEAST" one head shud occur...so whats wrong in adding the third probabilty in which both heads are occurring.

Hi Perhaps,

I apologize if the example confused you, I'm trying to denote the difference between the standard question: at least one occurs and this particular question: Exactly one occurs

AT LEAST ONE

If at least one occurs, you use the formula P(1) + P(2) - P(1&2). This is because the probability of 1&2 occuring is accounted for once in P(1) and another time in P(2). Hence, it is double counted. You then have to remove one instance of both occuring in order to get the correct answer.

In the simple example of two fair coin flips. The chances of getting Heads on at least one is P(1) + P(2) - P(1&2) or 0.5 + 0.5 - 0.25, which is 0.75. Written out: HH, HT and TH work. TT does not.

EXACTLY ONE

In this question, they are asking the equivalent of getting exactly one Head. Using the same basic formula, we could just take the probability of at least one and subtract the probability of both occuring, which leaves us with P(1) + P(2) - 2xP(1&2). As previously mentioned, the case where both occurs is accounted for twice when it should be accounted for zero times.

For the coin flips we again get P(1) + P(2) - 2xP(1&2) = 0.5 + 0.5 - 2x0.25 = 0.5. Written out: HT and TH work. HH and TT don't work.

On simple examples like this you're probably better off using logic and writing out examples (until ~10 possibilities this is best), but if the exam started asking about 5 coin flips you're better served to use the formulae than writing out 32 possibilities. I hope this helped clear up any misconceptions. The same principle can be applied regardless of the percentages used, it will only change when the number of coinflips or requirements change.

Hope this helps!
-Ron
Target Test Prep Representative
Affiliations: Target Test Prep
Own Kudos [?]: 22052 [1]
Given Kudos: 283
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
emmak wrote:
There is a 50% chance Walcir will visit Chile this year, while there is a 25% chance that he will visit Madagascar this year. What is the probability that Walcir will visit either Chile or Madagascar this year, but NOT both?

A. 25%
B. 50%
C. 62.5%
D. 63.5%
E. 75%

Solution:

Recall the formula for P(A or B) is:

P(A or B) = P(A) + P(B) - P(A and B)

The formula for P(A or B, but not both) is:

P(A or B, but not both) = P(A or B) - P(A and B)

P(A or B, but not both) = P(A) + P(B) - P(A and B) - P(A and B)

P(A or B, but not both) = P(A) + P(B) - 2 * P(A and B)

Using the above formula and assuming visiting one country is independent from visiting another, we have:

P(Chile (C) or Madagascar (M), but not both) = P(C) + P(M) - 2 * P(C and M)

P(C or M, but not both) = 0.5 + 0.25 - 2 * (0.5 * 0.25)

P(C or M, but not both) = 0.75 - 0.25

P(C or M, but not both) = 0.5

Answer: B
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 65 [0]
Given Kudos: 46
GMAT 1: 480 Q48 V9
Send PM
Re: There is a 50% chance Walcir will visit Chile this year, w [#permalink]
Please explain...
A= 50
B = 25

We should find out A&B .....then should add
(A - A&b) + (B-A&B) .....

i hope this is the solution approach
Own Kudos [?]: 633 [0]
Send PM
Re: There is a 50% chance Walcir will visit Chile this year, w [#permalink]
Expert Reply
emmak wrote:
There is a 50% chance Walcir will visit Chile this year, while there is a 25% chance that he will visit Madagascar this year. What is the probability that Walcir will visit either Chile or Madagascar this year, but NOT both?

25%

50%

62.5%

63.5%

75%

50/50 chances are fun because the probability of getting either answer is the same.

There are four basic possibilities here: C & M, C & ¬M, ¬C & M, ¬C & ¬M. These events are independent, so the probability of each is a straight multiplication.

C & ¬M = 0.5 * 0.75 = 0.375
¬C & M = 0.5 * 0.25 = 0.125
Add these two up and get 0.500. Or 50%.

For completion's sake, the other two probabilities are:

C & M = 0.5 * 0.25 = 0.125
¬C & ¬M = 0.5 * 0.75 = 0.375

The fact that Chile is a 50/50 makes all the math pretty straight forward. The typical question here is at least one, which would involve either calculating three probabilities or taking the compliment of visiting neither.

Hope this helps!
-Ron
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 88 [0]
Given Kudos: 109
Send PM
Hi Ron,
Can you please tell me whats wrong if we find probability by doing: C OR M-(C&M)??

:)
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 88 [0]
Given Kudos: 109
Send PM
Thank you so much Ron I completely got what u r trying to say,but since you mentioned that understanding of the concept is more reqd can u pls tell me if what i have deduced is right ? ''This gives us 0.5 + 0.5 - 0.25 = 0.75''.. you found this as the probability of finding Atleast one head - which could be in HT/HH +TH/HH-HH
and hence in the same question it has to be C or M - 2x(C&M) and NOT C or M -(C&M) as the latter would be STILL considering the option of both happening once.. right?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Send PM
After reading all posts above, i got messed up with the basic concepts.
"Let's look at the formula on a simple case. 2 fair coins, and we want to know if we'll get at least one Heads. We'd use the formula to say that the chance of getting heads on the first flip is 0.5, heads on the second is 0.5, and heads on both is 0.5x0.5 or 0.25. This gives us 0.5 + 0.5 - 0.25 = 0.75, which is correct. "
If at least one head is needed in two flips, then propabilty should be " prob of head occuring in first coin (HT--->0.5) + prob of head occuring in second coin (HT--->0.5) + prob of head occuring in both the flips HH--->0.25 ( because we need that at least one head is occurring).
So , all the three probabilties shud be added. Y do v subtract the last one...and how its like " the question being asked here is "at least one head", which means HH is being counted in both calculations of 0.5. That's why we need to remove it afterwards, because it's being double counted, and should only be counted once." ??? ....in ques it is mentioned that "AT LEAST" one head shud occur...so whats wrong in adding the third probabilty in which both heads are occurring.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Given Kudos: 33
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V41
Send PM
(C && -M) || (-C && M)
=(0.5 * 0.75) + (0.5 * 0.25)
=0.5
Board of Directors
Own Kudos [?]: 1180 [0]
Given Kudos: 236
Concentration: Finance, Economics
GMAT 1: 650 Q49 V30
GPA: 3.92
WE:General Management (Transportation)
Send PM
this one was fun!
probability of getting to Chile is 50%.
he either gets there or not.
chances of getting to Madagascar is 25%.

so
C+ M+ => not interested
C+ M- => 1/2 * 3/4 = 3/8
C- M+ => 1/2 * 1/4 = 1/8
C- M- => not interested

now
3/8+1/8 = 4/8 = 1/2 = 50%
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 89 [0]
Given Kudos: 8
Send PM
W=50%
W'=50%
M=25%
M'=75%

M or W but not both = W*M' + W'*M = (0.5)(0.75)+(0.5)(0.25) = 50%
1/2*3/4 + 1/2*1/4 = 3/8+1/8 = 4/8=1/2
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 822 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club BumpBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
Math Expert
92915 posts
Senior Moderator - Masters Forum
3137 posts