Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 22 Oct 2014, 22:51

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

There is a great deal of regional variation in the frequency

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
GMAT 1: 740 Q49 V42
WE: Project Management (Manufacturing)
Followers: 13

Kudos [?]: 68 [1] , given: 75

There is a great deal of regional variation in the frequency [#permalink] New post 24 Feb 2011, 10:55
This post received
KUDOS
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

65% (hard)

Question Stats:

47% (02:34) correct 53% (02:01) wrong based on 17 sessions
There is a great deal of regional variation in the frequency of many human ailments, up to 500 percent variation per 100,000 between different areas in the numbers of pneumonia, skin cancer, tuberculosis, and rheumatoid arthritis occurances.

To support a conclusion that much of the variation is due to the genetic makeup and distribution of the population, it would be most important to establish which of the following?

(A) The variation is unrelated to factors that influence the incidence of disease outside of genetic makeup of various regional populations.
(B) A committee in each region researches the medical records of people in that region and cross-references it with their place of residence for their entire lifetime to determine whether these people are native to the region.
(C) There are several categories of disease (other than pneumonia, skin cancer, tuberculosis, and rheumatoid arthritis) that are often the result of genetic factors.
(D) For certain ailments it is difficult to determine after people have recovered whether the ailment was caused by genetic factors or other factors.
(E) Pneumonia, skin cancer, tuberculosis, and rheumatoid arthritis are representative of ailments in general with respect to how often they are the result of genetic factors.

Source: Bell Curves
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

My GMAT debrief: from-620-to-710-my-gmat-journey-114437.html

Last edited by gmatpapa on 24 Feb 2011, 10:56, edited 1 time in total.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 68 [0], given: 75

Re: Support the conclusion [#permalink] New post 24 Feb 2011, 10:56
I was stuck between A and E. Although I picked A in the end, I couldn't really justify myself for not picking E. Your take?

2 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Real Estate, Finance
Schools: MIT (Sloan) - Class of 2014
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V44
Followers: 33

Kudos [?]: 501 [2] , given: 70

Re: Support the conclusion [#permalink] New post 24 Feb 2011, 16:32
This post received
KUDOS
I also picked A. I discarded E because you only need to prove that much of the variation in the incidence of THE MENTIONED ailments is due to genetic makeup. So, we don't need to enlarge the ailments pool to strengthen the argument. A says exactly what we need, while E tries to enlarge the pool but does not bring any evidence that would support the author's claim. If the mentioned ailments were representative to even all the existent ailments, we wouldn't still be able to prove whether the author's observation proceeds.
1 KUDOS received
Director
Director
Affiliations: Chicago Booth Class of 2015
Followers: 11

Kudos [?]: 200 [1] , given: 123

Reviews Badge
Re: Support the conclusion [#permalink] New post 24 Feb 2011, 17:46
This post received
KUDOS
Cool reasoning. I agree - the sample should be specific. I was concentrating on the word "general" in E - that is a spoiler. Because the author's conclusion is definitely based on "regional" population. The regional sample should represent the genetic dispositions.

Infact another way to look at A is - X->Y (x leads to y) scenario. NO OTHER factor other than X leads to Y. A is the same ! A bolster the claim.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 68 [0], given: 75

Re: Support the conclusion [#permalink] New post 24 Feb 2011, 20:46
miguelmick wrote:
I also picked A. I discarded E because you only need to prove that much of the variation in the incidence of THE MENTIONED ailments is due to genetic makeup. So, we don't need to enlarge the ailments pool to strengthen the argument. A says exactly what we need, while E tries to enlarge the pool but does not bring any evidence that would support the author's claim. If the mentioned ailments were representative to even all the existent ailments, we wouldn't still be able to prove whether the author's observation proceeds.

Ahh.. yes. So what if the ailments were representative.. We need to prove that genetic factors are responsible for those ailments. E doesn't do that at all and thats why its wrong.

Good explanation. Thanks..

Director
Director
Followers: 34

Kudos [?]: 253 [0], given: 32

Re: Support the conclusion [#permalink] New post 25 Feb 2011, 14:51
Current Student
Concentration: Technology, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 680 Q44 V39
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 22 [0], given: 5