Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 10:48 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 10:48

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 225 [90]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 44 [19]
Given Kudos: 16
 Q44  V22
Send PM
RC & DI Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 31860 [14]
Given Kudos: 290
Send PM
Experts' Global Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 4683 [1]
Given Kudos: 38
GMAT Date: 11-01-2019
Send PM
Re: There is a widespread belief in the United States and Western Europe [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
Dear Friends,

Here is a detailed explanation to this question-
vikramm wrote:
There is a widespread belief in the United States and Western Europe that young people have a smaller commitment to work and a career than their parents and grandparents and that the source of the change lies in the collapse of the "work ethic."

(A) a smaller commitment to work and a career than their parents and grandparents

(B) less of a commitment to work and a career than their parents and grandparents

(C) a smaller commitment to work and a career than that of their parents and grandparents

(D) less of a commitment to work and a career than their parents and grandparents had

(E) a lessening of the commitment to work and a career that their parent and grandparents had

Meaning is crucial to solving this problem:
Understanding the intended meaning is key to solving this question; the intended core meaning of this sentence is that young people have less of a commitment to work and a career than their parents and grandparents had.

Concepts tested here: Meaning + Comparison + Idioms + Awkwardness/Redundancy

• A comparison must always be made between similar thing.

A: This answer choice incorrectly compares "commitment" to "their parents and grandparents" rather than to the commitment their parents and grandparents had; please remember, a comparison must always be made between similar elements. Further, Option A incorrectly uses the term “smaller” to refer to the uncountable noun “commitment”; for a noun such as “commitment", the appropriate equivalent term is “less” or "lesser".

B: This answer choice incorrectly compares "commitment" to "their parents and grandparents" rather than to the commitment their parents and grandparents had; please remember, a comparison must always be made between similar elements.

C: Trap. This answer choice incorrectly uses the term “smaller” to refer to the uncountable noun “commitment”; for a noun such as “commitment", the appropriate equivalent term is “less” or "lesser". Further, Option C uses the passive voice construction "that of their parents and grandparents", leading to awkwardness and redundancy.

D: Correct. This answer choice uses the phrase "less of a commitment", conveying the intended meaning - that young people have less of a commitment to work and a career than their parents and grandparents had. Further, Option D correctly compares "commitment to work and a career" with the commitment "their parents and grandparents had". Additionally, Option D correctly uses the term "less of a" to modify the uncountable noun "commitment". Besides, Option D is free of any awkwardness or redundancy.

E: This answer choice alters the meaning of the sentence through the phrase "a lessening of the commitment"; the construction of this phrase incorrectly implies young people have a decrease in the same commitment to work and a career that their parent and grandparents had; the intended meaning is that young people have less of a commitment to work and a career than their parents and grandparents had.

Hence, D is the best answer choice.

All the best!
Experts' Global Team
General Discussion
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 10035 [2]
Given Kudos: 361
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Other
Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2011
GMAT 1: 750 Q50 V40
Send PM
Re: There is a widespread belief in the United States and Western Europe [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
I have a few questions for gurus :)

1. Why is the use "had" but not "did" in "less of a commitment to work and a career than their parents and grandparents had" correct?

2. Is it possible to use "a smaller commitment" instead of "less of a commitment"

Thanks in advance.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1510 [6]
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
walker wrote:
I have a few questions for gurus :)

1. Why is the use "had" but not "did" in "less of a commitment to work and a career than their parents and grandparents had" correct?

2. Is it possible to use "a smaller commitment" instead of "less of a commitment"

Thanks in advance.

had is parallel with "young people have"

smaller is something physical, less is something abstract
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 1682 [2]
Given Kudos: 210
Send PM
Kudos
Walker look at the statement: young people "have" in the beginning (bold red) makes it a perfect tense statement (perfect tense = have, had, having etc.). did is simple past tense, had is perfect past tense. It makes sense now to use perfect tenses consistently across this statement. Hence we require had.

It can't be smaller in this context --> if you read the sentence, you can clearly see that there is a comparison. Think of a simpler comparative statement using commitment :

bsd has a smaller commitment than walker <-- awkward to use smaller .. than in this comparison, as the guy above posted, smaller is physical, lesser is abstract.
bsd is less committed than walker

or another
gluttony is smaller of the two evils
gluttony is the lesser evil

vikramm wrote:
There is a widespread belief in the United States and Western Europe that young people have a smaller commitment to work and a career than their parents and grandparents and that the source of the change lies in the collapse of the "work ethic".
1) ".."
2) less of a commitment to work and a career than their parents and grandparents
3) a smaller commitment to work and a career than that of their parents and grandparents
4) less of a commitment to work and a career than their parents and grandparents had
5) a lessening of the commitment to work and a career that their parent and grandparents had
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 7304 [4]
Given Kudos: 2
Schools: UCSD ($) , UCLA, USC ($), Stanford
Send PM
Kudos
I think you can use "did" here instead of "had" and it would still be correct. But it is not among the answer choices.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 24 [1]
Schools:Chicago R2
 Q49  V35
Send PM
Kudos
I disagree with bsd_lover regarding the perfect tense used there. I think it's just a simple present and then a simple past. In this case I prove chineseburned's opinion - young people "make"/do/have less bla-bla-bla than their parents and grandparents "made"/did/had
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 10035 [2]
Given Kudos: 361
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Other
Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2011
GMAT 1: 750 Q50 V40
Send PM
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
Wow, thanks for discussion! Now, I will post links to my problem posts in my signature :)

smaller/less - physical/abstract - I get it!

had/did - I just thought that "I have a pen" is present simple tense and we can use had/did equally....

Thanks!
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 1682 [1]
Given Kudos: 210
Send PM
Kudos
Actually walker I take it back. I am an idiot. Sorry for the confusion everyone.

Present perfect has a : have + past participle. I have a pen is simple present. Young people have a commitment is simple present and hence did is just as correct (in fact probably more correct) than had.

This is not to be confused by present perfect - which shows the currently ongoing nature of an activity.

Example of present perfect :
I have lived a full life

Simple present:
I have a full life.

I hope this is clearer.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
OA (D)

To maintain parallelism, HAD is required. The comparison is done between the commitment that young generation HAVE and older generation HAD.

Hope it makes sense....
Good Luck
Code Snooker
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [1]
Given Kudos: 16
Concentration: General
Schools:Carnegie Mellon, INSEAD, IIMA, ISB
GPA: 3.6
Send PM
Kudos
Commitment is uncountable and hence small cannot be used. hence A and C is ruled out.
B is ruled out because the comparison is between the commitment towards work and not between children and their parents.
E is ruled out because the word Lessening is used in a wrong context.
Hence D is the correct answer
Manhattan Prep Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 863 [8]
Given Kudos: 7
Schools:MBA, Thunderbird School of Global Management / BA, Wesleyan University
Send PM
Kudos