Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 25 Oct 2014, 17:58

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

There is growing demand in the state for initiative and

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:
VP
VP
avatar
Joined: 17 Jun 2008
Posts: 1406
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 122 [0], given: 0

There is growing demand in the state for initiative and [#permalink] New post 06 Sep 2008, 07:06
1
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

0% (00:00) correct 0% (00:00) wrong based on 0 sessions
There is growing demand in the state for “initiative and referendum,” a procedure that allows voters to propose and pass laws, as well as to repeal them.
(A) allows voters to propose and pass laws, as well as to repeal them
(B) allows voters to propose, pass, and to repeal laws
(C) allows voters to propose, to pass, and repeal laws
(D) will allow the voter to propose, pass, as well as to repeal laws
(E) will allow laws to be proposed, passed, as well as repealed by voters
_________________

cheers
Its Now Or Never

Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 26 Mar 2008
Posts: 102
Schools: Tuck, Duke
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 0

Re: sc-referendum [#permalink] New post 06 Sep 2008, 07:11
IMO A
// X as well as Y
to propose and to pass laws as well as to repeal them
VP
VP
avatar
Joined: 17 Jun 2008
Posts: 1406
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 122 [0], given: 0

Re: sc-referendum [#permalink] New post 06 Sep 2008, 07:17
arorag wrote:
IMO A
// X as well as Y
to propose and to pass laws as well as to repeal them

why not D ,which clearly indicates repeal laws!!!
also in A them refers to what???
_________________

cheers
Its Now Or Never

Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 26 Mar 2008
Posts: 102
Schools: Tuck, Duke
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 0

Re: sc-referendum [#permalink] New post 06 Sep 2008, 07:21
spriya wrote:
arorag wrote:
IMO A
// X as well as Y
to propose and to pass laws as well as to repeal them

why not D ,which clearly indicates repeal laws!!!
also in A them refers to what???


The sentence says there is growing demand of X and Y, that means X and Y are already exist and then It more appropriate to says they allow rather than they will allow
Basically in second part od sent. you are defining X and Y so present tense
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 02 Aug 2006
Posts: 119
Location: Mumbai
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 25 [0], given: 3

Re: sc-referendum [#permalink] New post 06 Sep 2008, 07:29
why it is not B. B also loojs logical. Both X and Y. A has pronoun reference error. Them refers to laws or voters, is not clear
VP
VP
avatar
Joined: 17 Jun 2008
Posts: 1406
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 122 [0], given: 0

Re: sc-referendum [#permalink] New post 06 Sep 2008, 09:09
arorag wrote:
spriya wrote:
arorag wrote:
IMO A
// X as well as Y
to propose and to pass laws as well as to repeal them

why not D ,which clearly indicates repeal laws!!!
also in A them refers to what???


The sentence says there is growing demand of X and Y, that means X and Y are already exist and then It more appropriate to says they allow rather than they will allow
Basically in second part od sent. you are defining X and Y so present tense


Oh ok that demand for something which is existant !
but there there are situations where demand for some future dev do exist !!! but here this clears ,growing demand shows already demand existed and is thus increasing!! thanks for the explanation

OA is A
_________________

cheers
Its Now Or Never

Director
Director
avatar
Joined: 29 Aug 2005
Posts: 881
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 158 [0], given: 7

Re: sc-referendum [#permalink] New post 20 Jan 2009, 15:18
Damn, I went for D on this one during my practice.
Director
Director
avatar
Joined: 12 Oct 2008
Posts: 558
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 77 [0], given: 2

Re: sc-referendum [#permalink] New post 20 Jan 2009, 18:39
really bad question and IMO A for the ||ism
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
Joined: 06 Aug 2007
Posts: 370
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 22 [0], given: 0

Re: sc-referendum [#permalink] New post 20 Jan 2009, 19:39
spriya wrote:
There is growing demand in the state for “initiative and referendum,” a procedure that allows voters to propose and pass laws, as well as to repeal them.
(A) allows voters to propose and pass laws, as well as to repeal them
(B) allows voters to propose, pass, and to repeal laws
(C) allows voters to propose, to pass, and repeal laws
(D) will allow the voter to propose, pass, as well as to repeal laws
(E) will allow laws to be proposed, passed, as well as repealed by voters


I short listed to A and B...Went for B. I still cant digest that its A....because of the "Them" at the end of the sentence.
Re: sc-referendum   [#permalink] 20 Jan 2009, 19:39
    Similar topics Author Replies Last post
Similar
Topics:
There is growing demand in the state for initiative and pmenon 3 29 Dec 2007, 15:38
There is growing demand in the state for initiative and beckee529 3 28 Jul 2007, 13:51
There is growing demand in the state for initiative and aurobindo 8 08 Dec 2006, 09:36
There is growing demand in the state for initiative and HIMALAYA 7 13 Jun 2005, 20:50
There is growing demand in the state for initiative and qhoc0010 9 30 Jan 2005, 19:15
Display posts from previous: Sort by

There is growing demand in the state for initiative and

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  


GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Privacy Policy| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group and phpBB SEO

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.