Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 31 Jul 2014, 20:35

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

There is no reason why the work of scientists has to be

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
VP
VP
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 54 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
There is no reason why the work of scientists has to be [#permalink] New post 28 Sep 2004, 07:55
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

0% (00:00) correct 0% (00:00) wrong based on 0 sessions
There is no reason why the work of scientists has to be officially confirmed before being published. There is a system in place for the confirmation or disconfirmation of scientific finding, namely, the replication of results by other scientists. Poor scientific work on the part of any one scientist, which can include anything from careless reporting practices to fraud, is not harmful. It will be exposed and rendered harmless when other scientists conduct the experiments and obtain disconfirmatory results.

Which one of the following, if true, would weaken the argument?

(A) Scientific experiments can go unchallenged for many years before they are replicated.

(B) Most scientists work in universities, where their work is submitted to peer review before publication.

(C) Most scientists are under pressure to make their work accessible to the scrutiny of replication.

(D) In scientific experiments, careless reporting is more common than fraud.

(E) Most scientists work as part of a team rather than alone.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 38 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 28 Sep 2004, 08:56
My choice is A. The reasoning is as under
Conclusion: The work of scientist need not be confirmed before officially publishing it
Support: Other scientist will confirm the result and report any anamolies.

B,C and E support the above conclusion
D is irrelevant
Manager
Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 28 Sep 2004, 09:01
The anz ....E

reason : If all the scientists work as a team and not alone... then where is the case of ''other scientists experimenting and flaws being exposed ''

hope that help...

HAVE FUN

the whole worldmakes way for the man who knows wer he's going... good luck

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 28 Sep 2004, 12:21
I will go with E also.
what is the OA?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 30 Sep 2004, 08:41
I will go with A.

In my words,
Statement: Work of scientists need not be officially confirmed before being published.

Reason: Bcoz it will be exposed when other scientists conduct the experiments and obtain disconfirmatory results.

A makes it weak.
Why? The Scientific experiments can go unchallenged for many years before they are replicated.

Why I think E is incorrect
Most scientists work as part of a team rather than alone.It is quite possible that the results of one scientist in a team is not confirmed by his others team mates.And this might go undetected for a few years unless someone else conducts that experiemnt.

E appears correct,but A has more weightage. So, I stick to A.

510 on my first GMAT. 610 on second GMAT.!
The struggle continues.

Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 18 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 30 Sep 2004, 17:11
E, Since this doubts the "replication" efforts - the same errors and fraud may repeat, if done by the same team.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Re: CR1 [#permalink] New post 30 Sep 2004, 22:22
chunjuwu wrote:
There is no reason why the work of scientists has to be officially confirmed before being published. There is a system in place for the confirmation or disconfirmation of scientific finding, namely, the replication of results by other scientists. Poor scientific work on the part of any one scientist, which can include anything from careless reporting practices to fraud, is not harmful. It will be exposed and rendered harmless when other scientists conduct the experiments and obtain disconfirmatory results.

Which one of the following, if true, would weaken the argument?

(A) Scientific experiments can go unchallenged for many years before they are replicated.

(B) Most scientists work in universities, where their work is submitted to peer review before publication.

(C) Most scientists are under pressure to make their work accessible to the scrutiny of replication.

(D) In scientific experiments, careless reporting is more common than fraud.

(E) Most scientists work as part of a team rather than alone.

Conclusion: Poor Scientific work is not harmful
Evidence: It will be exposed and rendered harmless when other scientists conduct the experiments and obtain disconfirmatory results.

I think A drills a hole in this evidence because if scientists don't do this right away, then it could be potentially harmful

If anything i feel like E strengthens the argument...because if one scientist makes a mistake others will catch his mistake.

"Do or do not, there is no try."
-Yoda

Intern
Intern

[#permalink] New post 01 Oct 2004, 14:26
i will vote for A.
E seems likely but it is possible that the team work get refuted by another team., so the argument is not weakened.
Manager
Manager

[#permalink] New post 03 Oct 2004, 01:07
A.
Most scientific work is done in teams anyhow and reporting too is in groups, replication is tried across the world and there r too many scientists across the world.

Franky
http://franky4gmat.blogspot.com

[#permalink] 03 Oct 2004, 01:07