Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 29 Aug 2014, 02:04

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

There is speculation that increasing cold weather was what

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:
Director
Director
avatar
Joined: 04 Jul 2004
Posts: 905
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 19 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
There is speculation that increasing cold weather was what [#permalink] New post 24 Apr 2005, 10:36
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

0% (00:00) correct 0% (00:00) wrong based on 0 sessions
There is speculation that increasing cold weather was what may have been responsible for the Anasazi move from Mesa Verde to sites in other canyons.
(A) that increasing cold weather was what may have been
(B) whether increasing cold weather was what was
(C) that increasingly cold weather was what had been
(D) whether increasingly cold weather may have been what was
(E) that increasingly cold weather may have been
Manager
Manager
User avatar
Joined: 03 Nov 2004
Posts: 193
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 24 Apr 2005, 10:54
is it C
though the use of past perfect doesn't look good.
Director
Director
avatar
Joined: 18 Feb 2005
Posts: 674
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: SC - PT - Speculation [#permalink] New post 24 Apr 2005, 11:22
jpv wrote:
There is speculation that increasing cold weather was what may have been responsible for the Anasazi move from Mesa Verde to sites in other canyons.
(A) that increasing cold weather was what may have been
(B) whether increasing cold weather was what was
(C) that increasingly cold weather was what had been
(D) whether increasingly cold weather may have been what was
(E) that increasingly cold weather may have been


Would go for C....After reading the note from Praveen which JPV has posted it surely looks to be corrected
VP
VP
avatar
Joined: 30 Sep 2004
Posts: 1493
Location: Germany
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 45 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 24 Apr 2005, 13:31
E)...

C) is out because we dont need past perfect. we need a present perfect continuous because the weather is still responsible.
_________________

If your mind can conceive it and your heart can believe it, have faith that you can achieve it.

Director
Director
avatar
Joined: 18 Feb 2005
Posts: 674
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 24 Apr 2005, 17:52
christoph wrote:
E)...

C) is out because we dont need past perfect. we need a present perfect continuous because the weather is still responsible.


Here is what jpv posted

"Here ETS is testing a very important concept in written english. Generallly, it is prefered to have only one expression expressing the uncertainty in a sentence.

That means it would be incorrect to say

I think I may do well in GMAT

instead it should be I think I will do well in GMAT ( as think is already telling readers that what you are saying is just your opinion and also that there is a degree of uncertainty to individual opinions)

Similarly, in this question you can rule out choices that uses would. Only choice D expresses the sentence correctly and also without using double uncertainty."

So usage of "may" after a word like "speculation" doesnt work.....

So E can be discarded
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
avatar
Joined: 15 Dec 2003
Posts: 4318
Followers: 20

Kudos [?]: 156 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 24 Apr 2005, 17:59
Here, you want to emphasize the increasing intensity of the cold weather rather than the cold weather itself which caused X to happen. Hence, A and B are out. Next, you don't speculate about "whether X will happen". Instead, you speculate about "X maybe having happened". In other words, you don't speculate about an alternative, you speculate about the likelihood of a certainty. B/w C and E, I would pick E because you are not sure whether the "increasingly cold weather" really caused X to happen, hence the reason for speculating about the likelihood of the certainty in question.
_________________

Best Regards,

Paul

VP
VP
User avatar
Joined: 25 Nov 2004
Posts: 1498
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 27 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: SC - PT - Speculation [#permalink] New post 24 Apr 2005, 21:21
I was also n between C and E. i would prefer E to C based on ETS's preferance over short answer choice.
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 02 Dec 2004
Posts: 228
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 25 Apr 2005, 12:16
I picked E as it is clear and avoided the past perfect, especially when there is no other past tense word in C.
Manager
Manager
User avatar
Joined: 04 Mar 2005
Posts: 107
Location: NYC
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: SC - PT - Speculation [#permalink] New post 25 Apr 2005, 13:50
jpv wrote:
There is speculation that increasing cold weather was what may have been responsible for the Anasazi move from Mesa Verde to sites in other canyons.
(A) that increasing cold weather was what may have been
(B) whether increasing cold weather was what was
(C) that increasingly cold weather was what had been
(D) whether increasingly cold weather may have been what was
(E) that increasingly cold weather may have been



'E' - 'may have been' is in tune with 'speculation' in the stem
Director
Director
avatar
Joined: 04 Jul 2004
Posts: 905
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 19 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 25 Apr 2005, 16:33
Paul wrote:
B/w C and E, I would pick E because you are not sure whether the "increasingly cold weather" really caused X to happen, hence the reason for speculating about the likelihood of the certainty in question.


First of all thanks Paul for responding.

If I had not read Praveen's post, I would have choosen (E). But after reading Praveen's post I picked (C).
So, in this question, there are two Uncertain events. If it is true, then what will you say about Praveen's post. If both your's and Praveen's statement's are valid (ofcourse in GMAT), then what is the key factor to determine which one to consider.
As far as OA is concerned, as usual Paul is correct :-D (but I need more explaination :) ).
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
avatar
Joined: 15 Dec 2003
Posts: 4318
Followers: 20

Kudos [?]: 156 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 25 Apr 2005, 17:47
I don't think there is any conflict b/w my explanation and that of Praveen. "think" and "speculate" should be considered separately.

Think(uncertain) + certain event

Speculate about + likelihood(uncertain) + certain event
_________________

Best Regards,

Paul

Director
Director
User avatar
Joined: 25 Jan 2004
Posts: 728
Location: Milwaukee
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: SC - PT - Speculation [#permalink] New post 25 Apr 2005, 19:26
jpv wrote:
There is speculation that increasing cold weather was what may have been responsible for the Anasazi move from Mesa Verde to sites in other canyons.
(A) that increasing cold weather was what may have been
(B) whether increasing cold weather was what was
(C) that increasingly cold weather was what had been
(D) whether increasingly cold weather may have been what was
(E) that increasingly cold weather may have been


jpv, Paul is right on in this explanation. Firt of all, Word speculation means "Reasoning based on inconclusive evidence; conjecture or supposition". Also, notice that the sentence is in third person which is different from the exampe I quoted ( notice the changes in subject of the sentences). Hence, you are not really using double uncertainty here. Secondly, choice C has a problem with the tenses (present vs past perfect). In order for C to be correct it should have read "that it was the increasing cold weather that was".
_________________

Praveen

GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
avatar
Joined: 15 Dec 2003
Posts: 4318
Followers: 20

Kudos [?]: 156 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 26 Apr 2005, 03:49
E's form is actually

speculate that + X(certainty) + may have been(uncertainty)
_________________

Best Regards,

Paul

Manager
Manager
User avatar
Joined: 03 Nov 2004
Posts: 193
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 26 Apr 2005, 08:48
paul will you please explain this--

speculate that + X(certainty) + may have been(uncertainty)

what is X(certainity) here.

as per the sentence structure

speculation that+( increasingly cold weather) may have been + (responsible for the Anasazi move from Mesa Verde to sites in other canyons.)
so according to you
X(certainty) = increasingly cold weather (which is a noun)

how do you corelate it with "certainity".
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
avatar
Joined: 15 Dec 2003
Posts: 4318
Followers: 20

Kudos [?]: 156 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 26 Apr 2005, 13:15
increasingly cold weather = statement of fact

The thing is you need to speculate on the likelihood of a statement of fact(certainty)
_________________

Best Regards,

Paul

Director
Director
avatar
Joined: 04 Jul 2004
Posts: 905
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 19 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 26 Apr 2005, 17:21
KristinHR wrote:
So what is the OA?


I guess I have already mentioned. It is (E) as Paul said.
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 15 Mar 2005
Posts: 1
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

 [#permalink] New post 27 Apr 2005, 10:29
OA is E
Intern
Intern
User avatar
Joined: 13 Jan 2005
Posts: 39
Location: Moscow, Russia
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

 [#permalink] New post 28 Apr 2005, 02:14
My answer is E.
First B&D out because 'speculation that'
Then AC out because we shouldn't substitute cold weather by what. It's redundant job.
Current Student
User avatar
Joined: 29 Jan 2005
Posts: 5253
Followers: 23

Kudos [?]: 126 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User Reviews Badge
 [#permalink] New post 28 Apr 2005, 06:39
E. When in doubt always choose the shortest answer (Kaplan)
Director
Director
User avatar
Joined: 08 Jul 2004
Posts: 606
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 33 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 12 Jul 2005, 16:44
How does one decide between the subject verb agreement between C and E. Weather should be singular or plural to help in dciding has or have?
_________________

Regards, S

  [#permalink] 12 Jul 2005, 16:44
    Similar topics Author Replies Last post
Similar
Topics:
Experts publish their posts in the topic What next to increase profile? jppaa 1 09 Apr 2013, 09:12
1 There is speculation that increasing cold weather was what raghavs 9 07 Apr 2010, 09:16
There is speculation that increasing cold weather was what tarek99 7 04 Dec 2007, 09:52
There is speculation that increasing cold weather was what binho12 9 09 Oct 2006, 05:10
There is speculation that increasing cold weather was what joemama142000 4 01 Dec 2005, 06:29
Display posts from previous: Sort by

There is speculation that increasing cold weather was what

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  


GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Privacy Policy| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group and phpBB SEO

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.