Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 04:48 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 04:48

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1061 [58]
Given Kudos: 7
GMAT 2: 500  Q43  V16
WE 1: 4 years in IT
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 1227 [9]
Given Kudos: 37
Schools:University of Virginia
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 3224 [6]
Given Kudos: 6
Send PM
General Discussion
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 194 [1]
Given Kudos: 17
Concentration: MBA, Finance, 2009
Schools:UCLA Anderson
Send PM
Re: There is speculation that increasing cold weather was what may have be [#permalink]
Kudos
seekmba wrote:

Between (B) and (E), I liked (E) because the sentence is about speculation and so should have "may". But I thought "have" is wrong because "have" is used for plural subjects and so picked (B).

can someone explain why (E) is correct and if I need any thought readjustment.

"May have been" can be used with a singular subject. For example, "The dog may have been..." or "The student may have been..." It this case "may have been" is correct to use with the subject "weather."

bakfed gives a good explanation of why B is wrong as well.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 3224 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
Send PM
Re: There is speculation that increasing cold weather was what may have be [#permalink]
Sorry...I meant to say that I picked (C).

I knew (A), (B) and (D) are straight out.

I was struggling between (C) and (E).

I picked (C) because "increasingly cold weather had been responsible for the move" ...seemed correct.

What is wrong with (C)?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 18 [1]
Given Kudos: 15
Schools:Insead
Send PM
Bookmarks
seekmba wrote:
Sorry...I meant to say that I picked (C).

I knew (A), (B) and (D) are straight out.

I was struggling between (C) and (E).

I picked (C) because "increasingly cold weather had been responsible for the move" ...seemed correct.

What is wrong with (C)?

I think the usage of the tense in C is wrong. I don't think we need "Had been" structure in this context and also the "may" structure in E matches "speculations" much better.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 23 [0]
Given Kudos: 16
Send PM
I will go for E.

past perfect is not necessary for two past events. It is used when there is a need to establish chronology.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 3793 [1]
Given Kudos: 412
GMAT 1: 530 Q47 V17
GMAT 2: 710 Q50 V36
WE:Business Development (Consulting)
Send PM
Kudos
increasing cold weather

here i feel increasing(a ADJ) is modifying "cold weather"

but can some give a Ex: of ADJ2 ADJ1 NOUN(adj1 modifying NOUN and ADJ2 modify ADJ1)
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 109 [0]
Given Kudos: 17
Send PM
I'll go with E. I still think that, on top of everything, option C unnecessary changes the meaning of the original sentence.
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 2391 [2]
Given Kudos: 355
Concentration: Finance
Send PM
Kudos
Isn't speculation....may redundant?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 292 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Schools: Schulich '16
Send PM
jlgdr wrote:
Isn't speculation....may redundant?

yes i am thinking the same.

Marked C.

cold weather had been responsible for the move.

that move is finished with the cold weather described.I thought 'had' had more energy here.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 52 [1]
Given Kudos: 208
Concentration: Economics, Healthcare
GMAT 1: 690 Q42 V47
GMAT 2: 710 Q47 V39
GPA: 3.57
Send PM
Bookmarks
First step 2/3 split: when there is a speculation then it should be followed by That specially in this case where we are determining the speculation. This eliminates the options with weather.

Now E is the only option which depicts the entire case in a lucid way without fancy gibberish.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 523 [0]
Given Kudos: 916
Send PM
raghavs wrote:
3. There is speculation that increasing cold weather was what may have been responsible for the Anasazi move from Mesa Verde to sites in other canyons.
(A) that increasing cold weather was what may have been
(B) whether increasing cold weather was what was
(C) that increasingly cold weather was what had been
(D) whether increasingly cold weather may have been what was
(E) that increasingly cold weather may have been

let me try to say something.
in a and b, "increasing" modify "wheather" grammatically. this modification is not logic. it should modify "cold" and become "increasingly". this error is easy.
"speculation" must go with "that-clause", and can not go with "whether-clause. we can remember this idiom through the meaning of "whether-clause". d is gone.

in c, "had been" is not justified. we need a sequence to use had done. grammatically, "what had been" must happen before "was what". but this is not logic. c can be correct if a shorter version is " cold weather was responsible...".

in "that-clause" after "speculation" both confirmation verb "was" or " possibility" verb can be used, I think. This point can not be explained in grammar books but must be infered by us.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 1321 [3]
Given Kudos: 143
GMAT 1: 670 Q46 V36
GMAT 2: 690 Q47 V38
GMAT 3: 690 Q48 V37
GMAT 4: 710 Q49 V38 (Online)
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
raghavs wrote:
There is speculation that increasing cold weather was what may have been responsible for the Anasazi move from Mesa Verde to sites in other canyons.

(A) that increasing cold weather was what may have been

(B) whether increasing cold weather was what was

(C) that increasingly cold weather was what had been

(D) whether increasingly cold weather may have been what was

(E) that increasingly cold weather may have been

Main Issues:

1) Adjective vs Adverb: We need an adverb "increasingly" instead of an adjective "increasing" since it is modifying an adjective "cold". Using an adjective to modify "cold weather" distorts the meaning.
2) Concision: Fewer words to imply the same meaning are preferred on GMAT.

(A) that increasing cold weather was what may have been - Wrong: Need "increasingly" instead of "increasing"

(B) whether increasing cold weather was what was - Wrong: Need "increasingly" instead of "increasing"

(C) that increasingly cold weather was what had been - Wrong: Concision

(D) whether increasingly cold weather may have been what was - Wrong: Concision

(E) that increasingly cold weather may have been - Correct
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 93 [1]
Given Kudos: 78
Send PM