Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 16 Sep 2014, 05:37

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

There is substantial evidence that certain forms of solar

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 66 [1] , given: 7

There is substantial evidence that certain forms of solar [#permalink] New post 22 Apr 2012, 06:00
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

95% (hard)

Question Stats:

35% (02:08) correct 65% (01:10) wrong based on 220 sessions
858. There is substantial evidence that certain forms of solar energy either now or within a few years will be economically competitive with conventional sources of heat and power.
(A) either now or within a few years will be economically competitive with conventional sources of heat and power
(B) will either be economically competitive with conventional sources of heat and power within a few years or are so now
(C) will be economically competitive with conventional sources of heat and power either now or within a few years
(D) either are now economically competitive with conventional sources of heat and power or will be so within a few years
(E) are either now or will be within a few years economically competitive with conventional sources of heat and power
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

The Best Way to Keep me ON is to give Me KUDOS !!!
If you Like My posts please Consider giving Kudos

Shikhar

1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
GMAT 1: 720 Q48 V40
GRE 1: 2170 Q800 V700
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 13 [1] , given: 15

Re: There is substantial evidence that certain forms [#permalink] New post 25 Apr 2012, 11:37
This post received
KUDOS
hi, can someone explain why D? C seemed more likely to me.
2 KUDOS received
Haas Thread Master
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, General Management
GPA: 3.3
WE: Design (Other)
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 37 [2] , given: 34

Reviews Badge
Re: There is substantial evidence that certain forms [#permalink] New post 25 Apr 2012, 13:37
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
There is substantial evidence that certain forms of solar energy either now or within a few years will be economically competitive with conventional sources of heat and power.

(A) either now or within a few years will be economically competitive with conventional sources of heat and power incorrect
Let’s separate the sentence. Either now will be economically competitive (wrong tense, it should be present tense)
(B) will either be economically competitive with conventional sources of heat and power within a few years or are so now incorrect
Not clear in meaning. This option is saying either they will be economically competitive or they won’t be.

(C) will be economically competitive with conventional sources of heat and power either now or within a few years incorrect
If solar energy is competitive now then use of “will” is not right, so sentence has to separate them. Same as option A

(D) either are now economically competitive with conventional sources of heat and power or will be so within a few years Correct
Correct tense with either (present tense) now or (future tense) within few years

(E) are either now or will be within a few years economically competitive with conventional sources of heat and power incorrect
Wordy and confusing.
Expert Post
3 KUDOS received
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
Followers: 301

Kudos [?]: 467 [3] , given: 2

GMAT Tests User CAT Tests
Re: There is substantial evidence that certain forms [#permalink] New post 25 Apr 2012, 14:16
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
This post was
BOOKMARKED
The key with this sentence is that solar energy is being talked about in the present tense and the future tense. In order to express this idea succinctly, one must coordinate these two tense. Any answer that simply uses the present or uses only the future is incorrect.

There is substantial evidence that certain forms of solar energy either now or within a few years will be economically competitive with conventional sources of heat and power.

(A) either now or within a few years will be economically competitive with conventional sources of heat and power

Use only the future tense. You cannot say either now...will be.

(B) will either be economically competitive with conventional sources of heat and power within a few years or are so now

The either implies that they are either A or B. 'A' is economically competitive. 'B' would suggest that they are something that is not economically competitive, which changes the meaning.

(C) will be economically competitive with conventional sources of heat and power either now or within a few years

Combines now with the future tense.

(D) either are now economically competitive with conventional sources of heat and power or will be so within a few years

Here we use the present tense to talk about the now and future tense will be to refers to within a few years.

(E) are either now or will be within a few years economically competitive with conventional sources of heat and power

The either now not followed by a noun phrase is awkward and confusing.

Christopher Lele
Magoosh Test Prep

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 22 [0], given: 20

Reviews Badge
Re: There is substantial evidence that certain forms [#permalink] New post 25 Apr 2012, 16:53
shikhar wrote:
858. There is substantial evidence that certain forms of solar energy either now or within a few years will be economically competitive with conventional sources of heat and power.

Either X or Y ... X &Y need to be || and both X and Y, taken separately, will make sense with the whole sentence

a) now will be
b) will are so now
c) will be ... now

d) separates both the tenses by using either from from starting
e) are will be
SVP
SVP
Followers: 259

Kudos [?]: 58 [0], given: 0

Premium Member
Re: There is substantial evidence that certain forms of solar [#permalink] New post 30 May 2014, 07:18
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
Manager
Manager
GMAT 1: 710 Q50 V36
GPA: 3.9
WE: Programming (Computer Software)
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 26 [0], given: 15

Re: There is substantial evidence that certain forms [#permalink] New post 30 May 2014, 10:30
ChrisLele wrote:
The key with this sentence is that solar energy is being talked about in the present tense and the future tense. In order to express this idea succinctly, one must coordinate these two tense. Any answer that simply uses the present or uses only the future is incorrect.

Use only the future tense. You cannot say either now...will be.

The either implies that they are either A or B. 'A' is economically competitive. 'B' would suggest that they are something that is not economically competitive, which changes the meaning.

Combines now with the future tense.

Here we use the present tense to talk about the now and future tense will be to refers to within a few years.

The either now not followed by a noun phrase is awkward and confusing.

Hi Chris,

Isn't B wrong because of the following reason?
In cases where Subject + verb + either A or B, both "Subject + verb + A" and "Subject + verb + B" should make sense. In this case A makes sense, but B
certain forms of solar energy will are so now

Thanks
Verbal Forum Moderator
Verbal Forum Moderator
GPA: 3.51
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
Followers: 30

Kudos [?]: 316 [0], given: 193

Re: There is substantial evidence that certain forms of solar [#permalink] New post 01 Jul 2014, 01:06
Tough ONE: Initially I was not able to identify error in A, but when I checked variations in all other choices I managed to identify what creator wants us to do.

expended version : now will be or within few year will be -- now will be is not correct -- now represent present tense. Thus, we cant use future tense will.

(B) will either be economically competitive with conventional sources of heat and power within a few years or are so now -- parallelism error.
(C) will be economically competitive with conventional sources of heat and power either now or within a few years -- modifier error
(D) either are now economically competitive with conventional sources of heat and power or will be so within a few years -- Technically correct construction.
(E) are either now or will be within a few years economically competitive with conventional sources of heat and power -- Parallelism error.

Piyush K
-----------------------
Our greatest weakness lies in giving up. The most certain way to succeed is to try just one more time. ― Thomas A. Edison
Don't forget to press--> Kudos :)
My Articles: 1. WOULD: when to use? | 2. All GMATPrep RCs (New)
Tip: Before exam a week earlier don't forget to exhaust all gmatprep problems specially for "sentence correction".

Re: There is substantial evidence that certain forms of solar   [#permalink] 01 Jul 2014, 01:06