Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 02 Oct 2014, 05:03

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

There was great debate among Greek historians whether the

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Retired Moderator
Status: worked for Kaplan's associates, but now on my own, free and flying
WE: Education (Education)
Followers: 265

Kudos [?]: 1640 [1] , given: 249

There was great debate among Greek historians whether the [#permalink] New post 21 Oct 2010, 03:19
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

65% (hard)

Question Stats:

15% (02:11) correct 85% (01:03) wrong based on 20 sessions
There was great debate among Greek historians whether the city of Troy ever existed or it was a figment of fiction, until the noted archaeologist Schliemann discovered in Turkey a site that many believe to be the ancient city of Troy, a discovery that validated its historical importance along with its literary eminence hitherto

(A) was great debate among Greek historians whether the city of Troy ever existed or it was a figment of fiction, until the noted archaeologist Schliemann discovered in Turkey a site that many believe to be the ancient city of Troy, a discovery that validated

(B) had been great debate among Greek historians whether the city of Troy ever existed or was a figment of fiction, until the noted archaeologist Schliemann discovered in Turkey a site that many believe to be the ancient city of Troy, a discovery that validated

C) was great debate among Greek historians whether the city of Troy ever existed or it was a figment of fiction, until the noted archaeologist Schliemann discovered in Turkey a site that many believe to be the ancient city of Troy, a discovery that had validated

(D) had been great debate among Greek historians whether the city of Troy had ever existed or had been a figment of fiction, until the noted archaeologist Schliemann discovered in Turkey a site that many believe to be the ancient city of Troy, a discovery that has validated

(E) had been great debate among Greek historians whether the city of Troy ever existed or it was a figment of fiction, until the noted archaeologist Schliemann discovered in Turkey a site that many believe to be the ancient city of Troy, a discovery that validates
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Last edited by daagh on 21 Oct 2010, 19:49, edited 3 times in total.
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 2

Re: The city of Troy [#permalink] New post 21 Oct 2010, 03:47
Here the choices B,D and E are taken into account because of the apt usage of 'had been'...

Had been is to be used to describe a timeline that preceeds the general/overall timeline of the sentence
(Pardon me for the gramatically incorrect sentence above :? :? could'nt express it any better)

Here E can be ruled as the last part of the sentence uses present tense ('validates').

Left out with B and D.

IMO B is better than D because of the usage of 'had been' before 'figment of fiction'. Here this usage is wrong because this unnecessarily/incorrectly introduces a third timeline.

Can the Verbal experts here point out the exact reason D is wrong if it indeed is so?

OA??

Last edited by HarishV on 21 Oct 2010, 04:40, edited 1 time in total.
Expert Post
Retired Moderator

Kudos [?]: 1640 [0], given: 249

Re: The city of Troy [#permalink] New post 21 Oct 2010, 04:05
Expert's post
D also does not use - it - as far as I see.

Expert Post
Retired Moderator

Re: The city of Troy [#permalink] New post 21 Oct 2010, 04:31
Expert's post
Pkit:What a wonderful thing to point out! I am sorry I missed while I was jumbling the choices. Can I edit it? Sorry for the trouble.

Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 2

Re: The city of Troy [#permalink] New post 21 Oct 2010, 04:44
daagh wrote:
D also does not use - it - as far as I see.

My bad daagh....i seemed to have overlooked it...have made changes to my original post for choosing B over D
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Finance
GMAT 1: Q V
GMAT 2: 690 Q49 V35
GPA: 3.77
WE: Corporate Finance (Other)
Followers: 156

Kudos [?]: 518 [0], given: 527

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: The city of Troy [#permalink] New post 21 Oct 2010, 12:40
Debate among Greek historians was before the discovery -> past perfect must be used. A and C are out.
whether A or B -> A||B . B and D are out.
I will highlight mistakes below.

My pick is E.

There was great debate among Greek historians whether the city of Troy ever existed or it was a figment of fiction, until the noted archaeologist Schliemann discovered in Turkey a site that many believe to be the ancient city of Troy, a discovery that validated its historical importance along with its literary eminence hitherto

(A) was great debate among Greek historians whether the city of Troy ever existed or it was a figment of fiction, until the noted archaeologist Schliemann discovered in Turkey a site that many believe to be the ancient city of Troy, a discovery that validated

(B) had been great debate among Greek historians whether the city of Troy ever existed or was a figment of fiction, until the noted archaeologist Schliemann discovered in Turkey a site that many believe to be the ancient city of Troy, a discovery that validated

C) was great debate among Greek historians whether the city of Troy ever existed or it was a figment of fiction, until the noted archaeologist Schliemann discovered in Turkey a site that many believe to be the ancient city of Troy, a discovery that had validated

(D) had been great debate among Greek historians whether the city of Troy had ever existed or had been a figment of fiction, until the noted archaeologist Schliemann discovered in Turkey a site that many believe to be the ancient city of Troy, a discovery that has validated

(E) had been great debate among Greek historians whether the city of Troy ever existed or it was a figment of fiction, until the noted archaeologist Schliemann discovered in Turkey a site that many believe to be the ancient city of Troy, a discovery that validates

Follow me, if you find my explanations useful.

Audaces fortuna juvat!

Manager
Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 51 [0], given: 12

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: The city of Troy [#permalink] New post 21 Oct 2010, 17:16
not able to choose between A and B...OA plz
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 1

Re: The city of Troy [#permalink] New post 21 Oct 2010, 18:33
i go with E..it clearly defines .... IT with the troy city.... had been correctly used
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 1

Re: The city of Troy [#permalink] New post 21 Oct 2010, 18:52
its E.. I go with E since it clearly mentioned ' it ' --- had been correctly used.... i think its E
Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Retired Moderator

Kudos [?]: 1640 [1] , given: 249

Re: The city of Troy [#permalink] New post 21 Oct 2010, 19:57
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
Let us think of the rationale behind this exercise of tense usage. There are some events and let us put them in the order of chronology

1. The existence of troy –is the earliest event
2. The figment of imagination- same time as of its existence
3. The subsequent debate among the Greek- later than the previous two factors
4. The discovery of the architect – event after the debate
5. The discovery’s impact until date marked by the word - hitherto -

The first four events happened in the past and ended in the past. As per grammar and custom, the last of these four events i.e. the discovery by the architect entails a simple past while all the three earlier ones entail past perfects.

The last event of validation originated in the past and continues until date and hence needs a present perfect.

The one choice that stands all these parameters is- D

An alternate thinking is to assert that the debate by the Greeks, The city’s real existence or it being a figment of imagination were all events that happened at the same time. Even granting such a thought, those events clearly occurred before the Architect’s finding. So they will still need to be marked by past perfects.

We can not use a universal simple present for validation because we do not know whether this discovery is the final chapter in this episode. Tomorrow there may be another discovery that might damn this one. So – validates - is not appropriate

There is some doubt in the usage of -Troy ever existed or it was a figment- whether the pronoun, - it - should be mentioned. Since the subject is -the city of Troy –for both the verbs- existed or was a figment, using – it – again turns redundant.

The OA is D. I am editing the passage to mark the OA under spoiler

Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Re: The city of Troy [#permalink] New post 21 Oct 2010, 21:46
Great question and explanations!
+1
thanks

I must admit I am wrong, but is it wrong that A and B must be parallel in whether A or B construction?
btw what is the source of the question?

Audaces fortuna juvat!

Expert Post
Retired Moderator

Re: The city of Troy [#permalink] New post 21 Oct 2010, 22:35
Expert's post
@Pkit: Thank you for your kind words. As I have already pointed out, all my exercises are my personal creations, taking some common passages and building a relevant GMAT error into it for the sake of training my students.

To answer you query reg: maintenance of parallelism, I do agree that they must be parallel in essence, not necessarily verbatim, provided what is missing is elliptically understood. Say for instance,

I do not know whether I should sing or dance.

Here the phrase -I should - in the second part is understood and therefore the sentence is correct, even though the phrase is not mentioned in the passage.

Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Re: The city of Troy [#permalink] New post 21 Oct 2010, 23:05
daagh wrote:
@Pkit: Thank you for your kind words. As I have already pointed out, all my exercises are my personal creations, taking some common passages and building a relevant GMAT error into it for the sake of training my students.

To answer you query reg: maintenance of parallelism, I do agree that they must be parallel in essence, not necessarily verbatim, provided what is missing is elliptically understood. Say for instance,

I do not know whether I should sing or dance.

Here the phrase -I should - in the second part is understood and therefore the sentence is correct, even though the phrase is not mentioned in the passage.

Thanks - I will remember this, I am sometimes really confused with elliptical structures.

Audaces fortuna juvat!

Re: The city of Troy   [#permalink] 21 Oct 2010, 23:05