Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 16:11 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 16:11

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 42104 [103]
Given Kudos: 422
WE:Education (Education)
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 42104 [52]
Send PM
General Discussion
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 2129 [4]
Given Kudos: 622
GPA: 3.77
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 42104 [2]
Send PM
Re: The city of Troy [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
@Pkit: Thank you for your kind words. As I have already pointed out, all my exercises are my personal creations, taking some common passages and building a relevant GMAT error into it for the sake of training my students.

To answer you query reg: maintenance of parallelism, I do agree that they must be parallel in essence, not necessarily verbatim, provided what is missing is elliptically understood. Say for instance,

I do not know whether I should sing or dance.

Here the phrase -I should - in the second part is understood and therefore the sentence is correct, even though the phrase is not mentioned in the passage.
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 4225 [2]
Given Kudos: 302
Concentration: Economics, Finance
Schools: LBS MIF '19
WE:Asset Management (Investment Banking)
Send PM
#Top150 SC: There was great debate among Greek historians [#permalink]
Kudos
Here it is very important to understand the timeline of the happenings. If I understand this rigth, then first there was the great debate untile some Schliemann discovered a site and this discovery has validatet (until today) ... so at the end, we need present perfect. At the beginning we need past perfect and in the middle the simple past. Only D fulfils this. Do not really have to look after the other errors. However, the constructions I do not like in the other sentences are marked yellow.

There was great debate among Greek historians whether the city of Troy ever existed or it was a figment of fiction, until the noted archaeologist Schliemann discovered in Turkey a site that many believe to be the ancient city of Troy, a discovery that validated its historical importance along with its literary eminence hitherto

A. was great debate among Greek historians whether the city of Troy ever existed or it was a figment of fiction, until the noted archaeologist Schliemann discovered in Turkey a site that many believe to be the ancient city of Troy, a discovery that validated (wrong tenses, we need a present perfect at the end, it is still valid today)

B. had been great debate among Greek historians whether the city of Troy ever existed or was a figment of fiction, until the noted archaeologist Schliemann discovered in Turkey a site that many believe to be the ancient city of Troy, a discovery that validated (wrong tenses, we need a present perfect at the end, it is still valid today)

C. was great debate among Greek historians whether the city of Troy ever existed or it was a figment of fiction, until the noted archaeologist Schliemann discovered in Turkey a site that many believe to be the ancient city of Troy, a discovery that had validated (wrong tenses, we need a present perfect at the end, it is still valid today)

D. had been great debate among Greek historians whether the city of Troy had ever existed or had been a figment of fiction, until the noted archaeologist Schliemann discovered in Turkey a site that many believe to be the ancient city of Troy, a discovery that has validated, correct tenses

E. had been great debate among Greek historians whether the city of Troy ever existed or it was a figment of fiction, until the noted archaeologist Schliemann discovered in Turkey a site that many believe to be the ancient city of Troy, a discovery that validates (wrong tenses, we need a present perfect at the end)
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 76 [1]
Given Kudos: 2
Concentration: International Business/General
 Q39  V35
Send PM
Re: The city of Troy [#permalink]
Kudos
Here the choices B,D and E are taken into account because of the apt usage of 'had been'...

Had been is to be used to describe a timeline that preceeds the general/overall timeline of the sentence
(Pardon me for the gramatically incorrect sentence above :? :? could'nt express it any better)

Here E can be ruled as the last part of the sentence uses present tense ('validates').

Left out with B and D.

IMO B is better than D because of the usage of 'had been' before 'figment of fiction'. Here this usage is wrong because this unnecessarily/incorrectly introduces a third timeline.

Can the Verbal experts here point out the exact reason D is wrong if it indeed is so?

OA??

Originally posted by HarishV on 21 Oct 2010, 04:47.
Last edited by HarishV on 21 Oct 2010, 05:40, edited 1 time in total.
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 2755 [1]
Given Kudos: 79
Send PM
Kudos
There are two actions here
1. great debate among Greek historians whether the city of Troy ever existed or it was a figment of fiction for some time
2. noted archaeologist Schliemann discovered in Turkey a site that many believe to be the ancient city of Troy,
a discovery that validated its historical importance along with its literary eminence hitherto

Great debate happened before and until the discovery.
so past perfect tense is needed here.

Given sentence uses simple past tense and therefore is an incorrect choice.
A, and C contain the same error.

Options also contain whether X or Y, where X and Y are parallel.
    Whether the city of Troy ever existed or was a figment of fiction,
    or
    Whether the city of Troy ever existed or it was a figment of fiction

C. was great debate among Greek historians whether the city of Troy ever existed or it was a figment of fiction, until the noted archaeologist Schliemann discovered in Turkey a site that many believe to be the ancient city of Troy, a discovery that had validated
past perfect tense is used wrongly to depict that discovery is the earlier one of the two past events.

E. had been great debate among Greek historians whether the city of Troy ever existed or it was a figment of fiction, until the noted archaeologist Schliemann discovered in Turkey a site that many believe to be the ancient city of Troy, a discovery that validates
present tense verb validates gives a wrong meaning as the action took place in the past.

left with B and D.

B. had been great debate among Greek historians whether the city of Troy ever existed or was a figment of fiction, until the noted archaeologist Schliemann discovered in Turkey a site that many believe to be the ancient city of Troy, a discovery that validated .

D. had been great debate among Greek historians whether the city of Troy had ever existed or had been a figment of fiction, until the noted archaeologist Schliemann discovered in Turkey a site that many believe to be the ancient city of Troy, a discovery that has validated

I chose B over D.
Can someone explain how can we use
  • present perfect tense has validated for discovery and
  • past perfect tense for whether x or y idiom.
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 2755 [1]
Given Kudos: 79
Send PM
There was great debate among Greek historians whether the [#permalink]
Kudos

which of these two is correct and why?
    or

C is wrong since past perfect tense is used wrongly to depict that discovery is the earlier one of the two past events.

E is incorrect since present tense verb validates gives a wrong meaning as the action took place in the past.

left with B and D.

I chose B over D.
Can you explain how can we use
Jamboree GMAT Instructor
Affiliations: Jamboree Education Pvt Ltd
Own Kudos [?]: 654 [1]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Re: There was great debate among Greek historians whether the [#permalink]
Kudos
"That has validated" is absolutely correct in "D" because at the end of the sentence "hitherto" is mentioned which implies "till date". Hence although the discovery was made in the past it is applicable even now. This is an example of past action coming into present. Hence, "has" is perfect out here.

Hope this helps.
Jamboree GMAT Instructor
Affiliations: Jamboree Education Pvt Ltd
Own Kudos [?]: 654 [1]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Kudos
Hi Shiridip,

"Had" is not just used for double past. If there are multiple actions in the past each preceding the other all the actions would use had except the last one. Hence in this case "A" cannot be the answer. Also, remember that “had” is the past tense of “have/has” – when “have/has” mean possession (eg. I have 2 books.) or eating/drinking (eg., I have a glass of milk every day.). So, in "had had", the second “had” is not related to double past, it is the past tense of “have/has”. Example: We had had that car for 10 years before it broke down.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 361 [0]
Given Kudos: 15
Schools: ISB '15
GMAT 1: 660 Q49 V30
GPA: 3.76
Send PM
Mechmeera wrote:
There are two actions here
1. great debate among Greek historians whether the city of Troy ever existed or it was a figment of fiction for some time
2. noted archaeologist Schliemann discovered in Turkey a site that many believe to be the ancient city of Troy,
a discovery that validated its historical importance along with its literary eminence hitherto

or

C. was great debate among Greek historians whether the city of Troy ever existed or it was a figment of fiction, until the noted archaeologist Schliemann discovered in Turkey a site that many believe to be the ancient city of Troy, a discovery that had validated
past perfect tense is used wrongly to depict that discovery is the earlier one of the two past events.

E. had been great debate among Greek historians whether the city of Troy ever existed or it was a figment of fiction, until the noted archaeologist Schliemann discovered in Turkey a site that many believe to be the ancient city of Troy, a discovery that validates
present tense verb validates gives a wrong meaning as the action took place in the past.

left with B and D.

B. had been great debate among Greek historians whether the city of Troy ever existed or was a figment of fiction, until the noted archaeologist Schliemann discovered in Turkey a site that many believe to be the ancient city of Troy, a discovery that validated .

D. had been great debate among Greek historians whether the city of Troy had ever existed or had been a figment of fiction, until the noted archaeologist Schliemann discovered in Turkey a site that many believe to be the ancient city of Troy, a discovery that has validated

I chose B over D.
Can someone explain how can we use

Even though initially even I picked option B over D

But if checking the sequence of events

D makes more sense

Event1: great debate
Event 2:whether the city of Troy ever existed
Event 3: it was a figment of fiction

Event 4:until the noted archaeologist Schliemann discovered in Turkey a site

IMO event 4 happened after Event 1,2,3 so usage of had is justified
further effects of this discovery are still present so has is used.

Experts please pitch in , If there is some flaw in my reasoning
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 82 [0]
Given Kudos: 48
GPA: 3.76
WE:Supply Chain Management (Transportation)
Send PM
(D) had been great debate among Greek historians whether the city of Troy had ever existed or had been a figment of fiction, until the noted archaeologist Schliemann discovered in Turkey a site that many believe to be the ancient city of Troy, a discovery that has validated

I can't make myself agree with the OA choice "D"as the sentence, discovery that has validated is in present participle form whereas the sentence following past participle form...

can anyone please explain how the sentence showing correct use of tense...
Manhattan Prep Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 7775 [0]
Given Kudos: 55
GMAT 2: 780  Q50  V50
Send PM
Expert Reply
The use of past perfect in D isn't actually justified. There's no need to identify that Troy had been a fiction before something else happened. Either it was a fiction or it wasn't. It didn't stop being a fiction at some point. In fact, even "had been great debate" is only correct if the intended meaning is that the debate ended with Schliemann's discovery. If only "many people" (not most or all experts) believe that this is Troy, it seems the debate continues.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 68
GMAT 1: 690 Q50 V34
Send PM
Re: #Top150 SC: There was great debate among Greek historians [#permalink]
if D has been given like this- 'had been great debate among Greek historians whether the city of Troy ever existed or was a figment of fiction,until the noted archaeologist Schliemann discovered in Turkey a site that many believe to be the ancient city of Troy, a discovery that has validated,

is it still correct to chose D?
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 16 [0]
Given Kudos: 32
Send PM
Merged topics. Please, search before posting questions!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Given Kudos: 43
Concentration: Marketing, Human Resources
WE:Sales (Manufacturing)
Send PM
There was great debate among Greek historians whether the city of Troy ever existed or it was a figment of fiction, until the noted archaeologist Schliemann discovered in Turkey a site that many believe to be the ancient city of Troy, a discovery that validated its historical importance along with its literary eminence hitherto

Timeline :
a) Existence of the city of troy and whether it was a figment of fiction.
b) Great debate.
c) Archaeologist discovery.

I have learned (pl correct me if I???m wrong) that whenever we use words like before, after, from, until etc, to relate 2 events in past then we can omit past perfect form.
So why in this particular Q we need to use past perfect form ???had been great debate??? as in Option D.
Manhattan Prep Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 7775 [0]
Given Kudos: 55
GMAT 2: 780  Q50  V50
Send PM
Expert Reply
SAHILJPR As I stated above, we really don't need past perfect in D, and it even creates some problems.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 18 [0]
Given Kudos: 9
Schools: ISB '21 (A)
Send PM
GMATNinja daagh
Comparing D and E...
for the whether or Construction.....
(D):whether the city of Troy had ever existed or had been a figment of fiction
(E): whether the city of Troy ever existed or it was a figment of fiction...
Doesn't the absence of a noun/pronoun after OR in choice (E) make it weak?
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63668 [0]
Given Kudos: 1774
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170

GRE 2: Q170 V170
Send PM
Expert Reply
Debashis Roy wrote:
GMATNinja daagh
Comparing D and E...
for the whether or Construction.....
(D):whether the city of Troy had ever existed or had been a figment of fiction
(E): whether the city of Troy ever existed or it was a figment of fiction...
Doesn't the absence of a noun/pronoun after OR in choice (E) make it weak?

(E) has a pronoun after "or," so I'm assuming you're asking why we don't need the word "it" in (D).

Consider a simple example: "While on her tropical beach getaway, Jane couldn't decide whether she wanted to snorkel or sunbathe." "Whether" introduces a choice between two alternatives, in this case, "snorkel" or "sunbathe." That's fine. There's no need to introduce a subject before the second alternative because it's clear that Jane is potentially doing both activities.

But if I write, "While on her tropical beach getaway, Jane couldn't decide whether she wanted to snorkel or she wanted to sunbathe," the "she" is at best unnecessary, and at worst, makes the meaning of the sentence confusing. Is Jane choosing between sunbathing and snorkeling? Or is it the case that Jane can't decide whether she wants to snorkel, and the decision about sunbathing is an altogether separate thing? It's not clear.

Same issue here. In (D), the debate about Troy is whether it 1) existed or 2) was fictional. Introducing an "it" in the second component is unnecessary and confusing. Clear and concise is better than wordy and confusing, so (D) it is.

I hope that helps!
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 848 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6921 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts