Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 20 Aug 2014, 20:38

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

THEY DON'T WANT STUDENTS WHO ARE NOT COOKIE CUTTER

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

THEY DON'T WANT STUDENTS WHO ARE NOT COOKIE CUTTER [#permalink] New post 16 Dec 2010, 06:33
I am in non profit and, although b schoolws appreciate my unusual career path, they question my ability to support myself after I get an MBA. They don't understand that some people don't need to get rich. After many interviews, it all comes down to their profound respect for me, but they do not want to take students at risk of low salaries or unemployment. I believe this bodes same for anyone wanting to start a business after graduating. So, being "outside the box" may help to get an interview, but not for admission. Trying to change the world for the better is not as important as moving up the corporate ladder and becoming CEO of JP Morgan.
Current Student
Schools: USC Marshall School of Business
WE 1: Software Consulting
WE 2: Government / Healthcare
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 53 [0], given: 26

GMAT Tests User
Re: THEY DON'T WANT STUDENTS WHO ARE NOT COOKIE CUTTER [#permalink] New post 16 Dec 2010, 07:51
Don't stop changing the world.

Something about Kudos or other... if you like then upvote away.

Manager
Manager
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 84 [0], given: 21

GMAT Tests User
Re: THEY DON'T WANT STUDENTS WHO ARE NOT COOKIE CUTTER [#permalink] New post 16 Dec 2010, 07:56
Out of curiosity, what were your post-mba plans?

If you find the post useful, don't be shy and Kudo me ;)

Intern
Intern

Re: THEY DON'T WANT STUDENTS WHO ARE NOT COOKIE CUTTER [#permalink] New post 16 Dec 2010, 08:04
drisss wrote:
Out of curiosity, what were your post-mba plans?

started non profit and I want to continue it, expand it. can I fail? its possible, but doesn't every new business have to deal with possible failure? do b schools look down on new ventures? Isn't this contradictory to their philosophy of wanting leaders?
Current Student
WE 1: Hi-tech Product Development
Followers: 8

Kudos [?]: 71 [0], given: 3

GMAT Tests User
Re: THEY DON'T WANT STUDENTS WHO ARE NOT COOKIE CUTTER [#permalink] New post 16 Dec 2010, 08:06
angwen13 wrote:
I am in non profit and, although b schoolws appreciate my unusual career path, they question my ability to support myself after I get an MBA. They don't understand that some people don't need to get rich. After many interviews, it all comes down to their profound respect for me, but they do not want to take students at risk of low salaries or unemployment. I believe this bodes same for anyone wanting to start a business after graduating. So, being "outside the box" may help to get an interview, but not for admission. Trying to change the world for the better is not as important as moving up the corporate ladder and becoming CEO of JP Morgan.

Maybe some schools, but definitely not all. Have you looked at the Erb program at Michigan? http://www.erb.umich.edu/ There are multiple graduates from the program who have chosen to follow unconventional post-MBA paths (e.g. National Park Service, Acumen Fund, CSR, etc.) .

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Manager
Manager

GMAT Tests User
Re: THEY DON'T WANT STUDENTS WHO ARE NOT COOKIE CUTTER [#permalink] New post 16 Dec 2010, 08:14
Yes, maybe the top 5 tend to be interested in future CEO, as that would help them increase the average salary, famous alumni, and donations also!!!
You should have a look at other BS. Boston University has a path for non-profit too.
Good luck with your applications
Cheers

GMAT Forum Moderator
Concentration: Healthcare, Economics
Schools: Ross '14 (M)
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V38
GMAT 2: Q V
GPA: 3.54
WE: Accounting (Manufacturing)
Followers: 54

Kudos [?]: 388 [0], given: 234

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: THEY DON'T WANT STUDENTS WHO ARE NOT COOKIE CUTTER [#permalink] New post 16 Dec 2010, 08:22
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=barLaHrtvoM

Strategy Discussion Thread | Strategy Master | GMAT Debrief| Please discuss strategies in discussion thread. Master thread will be updated accordingly. | GC Member Write Ups

Manager
Manager
WE 1: 6 years - Telecom
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 11

Re: THEY DON'T WANT STUDENTS WHO ARE NOT COOKIE CUTTER [#permalink] New post 16 Dec 2010, 10:27
Non-profit CEOs make decent money. http://www.charitynavigator.org/index.c ... orgid=4509

If you won't invest in yourself, why would anybody wants to invest in you?

Manager
Manager

GMAT Tests User
Re: THEY DON'T WANT STUDENTS WHO ARE NOT COOKIE CUTTER [#permalink] New post 16 Dec 2010, 10:35
Good point... so I guess this will remain a mistery for us :)

Current Student
Schools: Wharton/Lauder - Class of 2013

Kudos [?]: 23 [0], given: 9

Re: THEY DON'T WANT STUDENTS WHO ARE NOT COOKIE CUTTER [#permalink] New post 16 Dec 2010, 13:12
Don't feel discouraged! That can't be true for all bschools. And I have a hard time believe that for the top 5. Columbia's social enterprise program is filled with people like you or who want to start their own non-profits. Wharton's Social Impact community is pretty active. And I think HBS has the oldest social enterprise program in the country. Plus schools need people like you to appear "diverse."

Making it big in a bank is so...stereotypical? boring? expected (maybe i'm extra sensitive to that because I'm from NY)? I personally look up to "non-traditional" people far more than the average corporate joe.
Intern
Intern

Re: THEY DON'T WANT STUDENTS WHO ARE NOT COOKIE CUTTER [#permalink] New post 16 Dec 2010, 15:51
globalcitizen wrote:
Don't feel discouraged! That can't be true for all bschools. And I have a hard time believe that for the top 5. Columbia's social enterprise program is filled with people like you or who want to start their own non-profits. Wharton's Social Impact community is pretty active. And I think HBS has the oldest social enterprise program in the country. Plus schools need people like you to appear "diverse."

Making it big in a bank is so...stereotypical? boring? expected (maybe i'm extra sensitive to that because I'm from NY)? I personally look up to "non-traditional" people far more than the average corporate joe.

Look...I know from hard experience that the top b schools have a problem with applicants who start non profits or new ventures. Sure, they try to come across as sympathetic to causes and potential leaders. But harvard and Columbia admitted to me that they are afraid to take a chance on someone who may find it hard to support themselves. Yes the like people to work at charities on their spare time, but don't try to take it too seriously or you will get dinged.
Manager
Manager

GMAT Tests User
Re: THEY DON'T WANT STUDENTS WHO ARE NOT COOKIE CUTTER [#permalink] New post 17 Dec 2010, 02:10
the mistery is broken: this is surprising for me as I thought BS were looking ofr disversity blabla: I guess it is diversity as long as you aim to become CEO of Nike and make a lot of money :)
THanks for the info angwen13, so it is the admission staff from HBS and Columbia who told you that ?

Current Student
WE 1: Hi-tech Product Development

Kudos [?]: 71 [0], given: 3

GMAT Tests User
Re: THEY DON'T WANT STUDENTS WHO ARE NOT COOKIE CUTTER [#permalink] New post 17 Dec 2010, 08:31
angwen13 wrote:
Look...I know from hard experience that the top b schools have a problem with applicants who start non profits or new ventures. Sure, they try to come across as sympathetic to causes and potential leaders. But harvard and Columbia admitted to me that they are afraid to take a chance on someone who may find it hard to support themselves. Yes the like people to work at charities on their spare time, but don't try to take it too seriously or you will get dinged.

Wow - so much for the "leadership" spiel :shock:

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 7

GMAT Tests User
Re: THEY DON'T WANT STUDENTS WHO ARE NOT COOKIE CUTTER [#permalink] New post 17 Dec 2010, 09:03
drisss wrote:
the mistery is broken: this is surprising for me as I thought BS were looking ofr disversity blabla: I guess it is diversity as long as you aim to become CEO of Nike and make a lot of money :)
THanks for the info angwen13, so it is the admission staff from HBS and Columbia who told you that ?

Bschools talk the talk about diversity and reaching out to non profit. It sounds great with inclusiveness and transforming Bschool experience in marketing blurb, add toit some photos of URMs. But in the end, adcoms are most concerned about the hard facts: Placement, salary increase, recruiters' verdicts. Adcoms see many question marks in applications from non traditional folks. For career changer: Can you transition into new career with current skill set, bridge gaps. Bschools may take on a small number of non traditional folks to dress up the class profile, but the corporate route with proven traditional candidates trumps. Bschool actually do less walk the walk when it comes to admissions. They don't want to rock the profitable boat by admitting too many oddballs and end up with unfair rep. of Yale SOM as non profit school.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Schools: Kellogg Alum: Class of 2010
Followers: 78

Kudos [?]: 692 [0], given: 5

GMAT Tests User
Re: THEY DON'T WANT STUDENTS WHO ARE NOT COOKIE CUTTER [#permalink] New post 17 Dec 2010, 12:29
I have several friends who went to work in non-profits. Not many but a few. A bunch of consulting friends interned at them too and may return after their sponsors pay off their school debt. I dont think schools hold it against people they just want to check that you aren't BS'ing them about wanting to return then showing up and wanting to get into IB.

In any top school only a handful of people will go the non-profit route, and many schools offer tuition reimbursement for folks who do and aren't going to get a big pay day like the average alum. Then again some people go to school thinking they will go into non-profit but join the corporate world to make some money and build up a nest egg. Some non-profits pay well but not many, and a lot of folks can justify working for 100k+ for several years instead of making 50K.

Kellogg Class of 2010...still active and willing to help. However, I do not do profile reviews, don't offer predictions on chances and am far to busy to review essays, so save the energy of writing me a PM seeking help for these. If I don't respond to a PM that is not one of the previously mentioned trash can destined messages, please don't take it personally I get so many messages I have a hard to responding to most. The more interesting, compelling, or humorous you message the more likely I am to respond.

SVP
SVP
Schools: Yale SOM 2011 Alum, Kellogg, Booth, Tuck
WE 1: IB - Restructuring & Distressed M&A
Followers: 71

Kudos [?]: 688 [0], given: 548

GMAT Tests User Reviews Badge
Re: THEY DON'T WANT STUDENTS WHO ARE NOT COOKIE CUTTER [#permalink] New post 17 Dec 2010, 12:35
riverripper wrote:
I dont think schools hold it against people they just want to check that you aren't BS'ing them about wanting to return then showing up and wanting to get into IB.

In any top school only a handful of people will go the non-profit route, and many schools offer tuition reimbursement for folks who do and aren't going to get a big pay day like the average alum.

Agree with river.

In addition, HBS does not want "cookie cutters" either, apparently.

Harvard Biz School to Wall Street: Rejection!

http://management.fortune.cnn.com/2010/ ... op+Stories)

Manager
Manager

GMAT Tests User
Re: THEY DON'T WANT STUDENTS WHO ARE NOT COOKIE CUTTER [#permalink] New post 17 Dec 2010, 13:10
I think this thread is definitely one of the more interesting at the moment. Thank you for your "insider insights".
Very interesting article about HBS dinging the bankers... It is very confusing though.

Current Student
Schools: USC Marshall School of Business
WE 1: Software Consulting
WE 2: Government / Healthcare
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 53 [0], given: 26

GMAT Tests User
Re: THEY DON'T WANT STUDENTS WHO ARE NOT COOKIE CUTTER [#permalink] New post 17 Dec 2010, 13:13
I wonder if there's a sense that these folks should be in a Masters in Public Administration/Management or Master's in Nonprofit Administration degree program rather than an MBA?

Something about Kudos or other... if you like then upvote away.

Current Student
Affiliations: VFW, Iraq and Afghanistan Veterans of America, West Point Association of Graduates
Schools: Wharton Class of 2013
WE 1: Army Ranger / Infantry Platoon Leader Operation Iraqi Freedom (2 yrs)
WE 2: Company Executive Officer (1 yr)
WE 3: Company Commander (2 yrs)
Followers: 15

Kudos [?]: 63 [0], given: 75

GMAT Tests User
Re: THEY DON'T WANT STUDENTS WHO ARE NOT COOKIE CUTTER [#permalink] New post 17 Dec 2010, 20:43
I cannot complain to much, as a veteran,

my friends last year were able to get in the door at the top 10 schools at a very high rate

this year all i have so far is an MIT Sloan interview invite, if I get it in, I am done with this process hah , the MBA process is definitely emotionally and mentally exhausting
Intern
Intern

Re: THEY DON'T WANT STUDENTS WHO ARE NOT COOKIE CUTTER [#permalink] New post 17 Dec 2010, 21:57
yes, this whole process is painful...especially if you don't make it in. It had to take a few years off my life. I don't know if I can go through this again.
Re: THEY DON'T WANT STUDENTS WHO ARE NOT COOKIE CUTTER   [#permalink] 17 Dec 2010, 21:57