Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 17 Dec 2014, 11:54

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Things to ask yourself before you hit submit

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Expert Post
6 KUDOS received
MBA Admissions Consulting
Followers: 52

Kudos [?]: 195 [6] , given: 199

Things to ask yourself before you hit submit [#permalink] New post 25 Sep 2011, 00:58
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
This post was
BOOKMARKED
Hi all,

We tried to cover some of the major essay sets on our blog over the summer (http://educatedoutcomes.wordpress.com/), so hopefully you are feeling good about what you are submitting in the next few weeks. With some of the Round 1 deadlines approaching, we thought we'd give you one of our top checklist items for schools coming up in the next three weeks, just so you can do a final analysis on what you are sending over.

Duke (Sept 29) - Count how many times you write the word "global" - now go double it

HBS (Oct 3) - Leadership, leadership, leadership!

Wharton (Oct 3) - Innovation, particularly through community and with a global perspective

Columbia (Oct 5) - Pragmatism; have you articulated multiple clear paths to your long-term career goal?

Yale SOM (Oct 6) - Intellectual curiosity; specifically the raw case method

Ross (Oct 10) - Sharing your unique perspective; ready to learn from others as well

Booth (Oct 12) - Willing to take a risk and go for it

Haas (Oct 12) - Incorporate the four pillars into your answers!

Stanford (Oct 12) - Change Lives, Change Organizations, Change the World (make sure Essays 1 and 2 tell that story in tandem)

Tuck (Oct 12) - Be personal; show true, deep knowledge of and love for Tuck

Obviously it takes more than a sound bite to write the kind of essays required to get into these programs, but even if these one-liners help just one person, it was worth throwing it out there.

Good luck to all.

Best,
PL

Paul Lanzillotti | Founder| About | mba@amerasiaconsulting.com | 877.866.9251

Schedule a Consultation | Twitter | Blog

Download "How To Apply" Guides | INSEAD | Columbia | Harvard | Wharton

Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
Manager
Manager
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 10

Re: Things to ask yourself before you hit submit [#permalink] New post 25 Sep 2011, 12:20
Interesting! What about Kellogg & Sloan?
Expert Post

Kudos [?]: 195 [0], given: 199

Re: Things to ask yourself before you hit submit [#permalink] New post 25 Sep 2011, 20:31
Expert's post
Was just trying to hit the most pressing deadlines, but...

Kellogg - Teamwork, teamwork, teamwork! Everything is better in teams, you need to show them you are going to make a great, dynamic, and FUN teammate. No a-holes allowed at Kellogg.

Sloan - It's all about thought. Thoughtful leadership, thoughtful actions, critical thinking, being able to work through ambiguity and incomplete information.

-PL

1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Affiliations: CBS Class of 2014
Concentration: Finance
Schools: CBS '14 (M)
Followers: 14

Kudos [?]: 19 [1] , given: 8

Premium Member
Re: Things to ask yourself before you hit submit [#permalink] New post 26 Sep 2011, 06:28
This post received
KUDOS
I would add one thing I think that probably gets overlooked (not related to your descriptions). If you get in.. will you go? Too many people apply to stretch, competitive, and safety schools but if they don't get in to stretch/competitive they will forfeit going to the safety school. Why waste the money or time to take a seat from someone else who would of attended if you truly have no intention to go? I had originally thought of Cornell as a safety but after realizing that I wanted to attend CBS or Tuck.. I removed my application before ever submitting (this is after LoR's were already sent in by my reviewers too).
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
GPA: 3.77
Followers: 161

Kudos [?]: 546 [0], given: 538

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: Things to ask yourself before you hit submit [#permalink] New post 26 Sep 2011, 08:35
Paul thanks for sharing really helpful.

losttraveler, the same for me.
Last year except for stretches and competitive schools I also applied to Cornell, as safety school. I did not want to apply, but then after applying I rezlized that even if accepted I would not attend (except for the case if accepted full scolarship, but even though was in doubt). I was begging to be rejected. So I was.
This year I apply ONLY to schools which I will attend, so I removed safeties.
Moreover in today's economic environment I would rather take the best or nothing, than paying a lot $$$ for something that i did not really want.

Follow me, if you find my explanations useful.

Audaces fortuna juvat!

1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Affiliations: CBS Class of 2014
Concentration: Finance
Schools: CBS '14 (M)
Followers: 14

Kudos [?]: 19 [1] , given: 8

Premium Member
Re: Things to ask yourself before you hit submit [#permalink] New post 26 Sep 2011, 08:57
This post received
KUDOS
Pkit, you've nailed it on the head. With Cornell I was only considering if I got a Park Fellowship... and then said to myself, even if I do get a fellowship... I would rather pay the funds to attend CBS if admitted (was and matriculating fall 2012) so decided it was best to not waste my time or money.. nor the schools time and potentially someone who really wanted to go to Cornell's spot in class just for me to turn it down.

Sorry to hijack the thread Paul.. but something I think is important to add in.
Expert Post

Re: Things to ask yourself before you hit submit [#permalink] New post 26 Sep 2011, 11:23
Expert's post
No problem - it's a pretty broad thread title. If this becomes a place where people can share "questions to ask before hitting submit," that is perfectly fine.

And you guys are both right in your analysis. It's not fair to the schools to apply places you simply would not go, so it is actually better for everyone if you only click submit with programs where you would actually enroll. As a colleague of mine always says, "You can't put a bumper sticker that says 'also accepted at the following schools' on your car." The end goal is to enroll in a program, not to collect acceptance letters like badges of honor.

-PL

Expert Post

Re: Things to ask yourself before you hit submit [#permalink] New post 28 Sep 2011, 23:46
Expert's post
Thanks for the kudos, guys. Glad its helpful.
-PL

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 1

Re: Things to ask yourself before you hit submit [#permalink] New post 29 Sep 2011, 12:40
Hi,

Would you like to give some piece of advice for Asian b schools??

INSEAD, ISB,..
Expert Post

Re: Things to ask yourself before you hit submit [#permalink] New post 29 Sep 2011, 22:08
Expert's post
Obviously, INSEAD is not in Asia, but you want to showcase "readiness." It's a truncated program, it's very social, and you hit the ground running. So no "wallflowers allowed" is a good way to approach it.
-PL

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 1

Re: Things to ask yourself before you hit submit [#permalink] New post 30 Sep 2011, 10:51
Hmmm... thats very helpful... THank you.

Not to invest more of your time... A one word advice for ISB Hyderabad will also do...
Expert Post

Re: Things to ask yourself before you hit submit [#permalink] New post 05 Oct 2011, 02:18
Expert's post
ISB is all about looking broader, beyond boarders, beyond provincial thinking. Expand your word view, your thinking, your understanding of culture.

Manager
Manager
Concentration: General Management, Entrepreneurship
Schools: Kellogg '14 (A)

Kudos [?]: 17 [0], given: 12

Re: Things to ask yourself before you hit submit [#permalink] New post 05 Oct 2011, 02:42
PaulLanzillotti wrote:
Obviously, INSEAD is not in Asia
-PL

Isn't INSEAD also in Singapore and Abu Dhabi? Definitely 66% Asian at minimum.
Expert Post

Re: Things to ask yourself before you hit submit [#permalink] New post 05 Oct 2011, 12:12
Expert's post
It's considered a European program, is the point, but yes, you are correct that INSEAD has an Asian presence.

-PL

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 2

Re: Things to ask yourself before you hit submit [#permalink] New post 14 Oct 2011, 07:47
What about UCLA and Tepper? Thanks
Non-Human User
Followers: 26

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 0

Premium Member
Re: Things to ask yourself before you hit submit [#permalink] New post 09 Oct 2014, 00:04
Hello from the GMAT Club MBAbot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
Re: Things to ask yourself before you hit submit   [#permalink] 09 Oct 2014, 00:04