Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 21 Oct 2014, 13:29

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Things to learn before b-school for an engineer

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Current Student
Schools: Ross 2012
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 34 [0], given: 4

Things to learn before b-school for an engineer [#permalink] New post 11 Mar 2010, 08:07
This post was
BOOKMARKED
I'm planning to go to b-school this fall. Since I come from an engineering background, my business knowledge is not exactly up-to-snuff. What are some of the things that I can do before school starts to improve in this area, so that I don't get completely lost when I'm in class? I'm planning to go into marketing/consulting. I was thinking of maybe reading some books or taking some online courses. Any advice would be appreciated.

Respect my Authoritaaah!

1 KUDOS received
Current Student
Schools: Duke,Oxford,IMD,INSEAD
Followers: 8

Kudos [?]: 63 [1] , given: 15

Re: Things to learn before b-school for an engineer [#permalink] New post 11 Mar 2010, 18:43
This post received
KUDOS
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Schools: Georgetown, UNC, Emory, GeorgiaTech
WE 1: Product Engineering
WE 2: Logistics & Inventory
WE 3: Product Information & Pricing Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 2 [1] , given: 0

Re: Things to learn before b-school for an engineer [#permalink] New post 12 Mar 2010, 07:28
This post received
KUDOS
I don't really think math course is necessary for the engineers. I'm coming from engineering background and I've done Calculus 1-3, differential equations, 3 statistic classes, linear algebra...

I think we need to focus on account. One of the University recommended me to take an accounting course before fall. I say focus on accounting/finance class.
VP
VP
Schools: Tuck
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 117 [0], given: 6

Re: Things to learn before b-school for an engineer [#permalink] New post 14 Mar 2010, 12:53
superman wrote:
http://www.mbamath.com/

Yup, this will cover everything you need to know. Math (not really applicable to engineers), accounting, finance and stats (again not applicable to engineers).

RF

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Current Student
Schools: Ross 2012
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 34 [0], given: 4

Re: Things to learn before b-school for an engineer [#permalink] New post 14 Mar 2010, 14:58
Thank you for the website. Has anyone used it? If so, did you find it useful at all?

Respect my Authoritaaah!

Manager
Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 18 [0], given: 8

Re: Things to learn before b-school for an engineer [#permalink] New post 14 Mar 2010, 18:57
Interesting topic, I would like to know more about the subject as well.

Studying accounting and finance are definitely great help, not sure what is the best way to prepare though...
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 2

Re: Things to learn before b-school for an engineer [#permalink] New post 30 Apr 2010, 12:23
there is only one website out there covering this subject? Surprising!!! :shock:
1 KUDOS received
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: HHonors Diamond, BGS Honor Society
Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2009
GMAT 1: 730 Q45 V45
WE: Business Development (Consumer Products)
Followers: 256

Kudos [?]: 1577 [1] , given: 7

Premium Member
Re: Things to learn before b-school for an engineer [#permalink] New post 30 Apr 2010, 13:03
This post received
KUDOS
My advice: Do nothing, go travel, enjoy the summer. You won't be alone in learning stuff for the first time.
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 12 [1] , given: 1

Re: Things to learn before b-school for an engineer [#permalink] New post 30 Apr 2010, 13:36
This post received
KUDOS
I am planning on giving myself a refresher accounting and statistics, but only because I want to opt out of those courses since I took them at the undergraduate level.

Other than that I agree with Rhyme. Go do some travel. Spend time with non-bschool friends before you move away. Strengthen relationships.
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 2

Re: Things to learn before b-school for an engineer [#permalink] New post 03 May 2010, 08:24
No problem for the time management; my girlfriend is in law school and my family in France... I was thinking about books to read (i already read the post about it and got some of them), or maybe working on the the CFA level 1 for example...

Everybody on this forum advised me to travel and to chill out; I traveled for 3 years and i just came back to France to see my family and i have nothing to do prior to start the courses... So I want to do something useful! Get prepared for the MBA seems to be the best option!
Current Student
Schools: Columbia Business School - Class of 2012
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 37 [0], given: 22

Re: Things to learn before b-school for an engineer [#permalink] New post 04 May 2010, 09:49
I wouldn't worry about picking up accounting, finance, stats, etc. That stuff should come very easy to engineers.

I would read the WSJ, BusinessWeek, and also perhaps check out some case studies that HBS publishes. Focus on learning about things like organizational behavior, leadership, etc. that can seem a bit fluffy. I prefer reading about this stuff in the context of cases and real-world examples.
Re: Things to learn before b-school for an engineer   [#permalink] 04 May 2010, 09:49