Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 22 Jul 2014, 19:59

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

things to look for before you start beating the drums

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
1 KUDOS received
Current Student
Concentration: Finance, Economics
Schools: HKUST MBA - Class of 2014
GMAT 1: 740 Q48 V44
GPA: 3.2
WE: Consulting (Consulting)
Followers: 8

Kudos [?]: 45 [1] , given: 8

GMAT Tests User
things to look for before you start beating the drums [#permalink] New post 25 Jul 2007, 23:40
This post received
KUDOS
OK,
I guess everyone here is now hyped and pumped about the 2008 applications - a few words of caution from a newbie (myself). This is a true story - it happened to my friend, so please watch what you are saying and try to keep your MBA/GMAT plans to yourself and yourself only.

My best friend (we went to school together), met some random chick at a wedding, started hanging out with her and decided to have a good time. Things were fine and dandy; needless to say he was prepping for his MBA/GMAT - gave the GMAT, finalised his list of schools, and planned to take letters of recommendation from some of his co-employees.

At the same time he was trying to get a promotion as a manager in his company, and in a coup de etat, take over his current manager's job (current manager is a loudmouth and a gossip monger - so I am told). He was assured that he would be promoted in a month or so.

Everything was going good until he made the blatant mistake of bringing his new found girlfriend to the office party - this is where the fun begins.

His girlfriend, after a few cosmos, a slippery nipple (I havent comprehended how nipples can be slippery), and a shot of tequila decided to hang out her boyfriend's multicolored and smelly laundry in public. She went up the to the boyfriend's office watercooler gossiper (his manager) and in her drunken stupor, told him about my friend's MBA plans - she did not even omit to tell where he got the recommendation letters, scores, percentiles, schools he visited and applied to, etc, etc.

Needless to say a diaster of mammoth, no let me make that gargantuan proportions occured.

word spread like wildfire in the my friend's office, his promotion promply got withheld, he was pulled up by senior management, was asked to clarify his standing in the company, and whether he would have to leave the company in a year to do his MBA. Things looked downright shady from him. He was told in no uncertain terms that his promotion stint, or even his future aspirations in the office would be affected and his letters of recommendation would not be in league with his true potential (in plain talk - he was royally fu%%ed )

Long story short - my friend commutes 60 miles a day to some bumfu@@ location in the middle of nowhere in southern california to oversee a warehouse. I last heard that he is planning to quit his current job and move to Mexico where he would make more money hustling illegal aliens across the border (no jokes).

Moral of the story - nipples are slippery (figuratively speaking) :wink:
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
SVP
SVP
Schools: Darden
Followers: 37

Kudos [?]: 421 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 26 Jul 2007, 00:23
If you don't know better than to run your mouth off to some bimbo lush and then bring her to a company party, you don't deserve to get an MBA.
VP
VP
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 19 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 26 Jul 2007, 05:27
pelihu wrote:
If you don't know better than to run your mouth off to some bimbo lush and then bring her to a company party, you don't deserve to get an MBA.

ha ha ha! Stop it! You're killing me...
Current Student
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 26 Jul 2007, 06:04
pelihu ... my sentiments exactly
Manager
Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 26 Jul 2007, 06:13
What an idiot, to bring the girl to the office party. I would never bring a "weekend" hook-up to an office event. For that matter, not even a girlfriend, unless I have been going out with her for a while.

Good story-telling job aviroop.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Schools: UC Berkeley Haas School of Business MBA 2010
WE 1: Social Gaming
Followers: 63

Kudos [?]: 327 [0], given: 14

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 26 Jul 2007, 09:03
wow, that is f***ing hilarious and sad at the same time!

I'm only telling some of my close co-worker friends. I hope they don't screw me over, but then again, we don't work in the same department or anything like that.

My boss has been supportive, so that's a good thing. After I told him about my plans to apply, he was still talking about trying to get me a promotion.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Schools: Kellogg Alum: Class of 2010
Followers: 77

Kudos [?]: 691 [0], given: 5

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 26 Jul 2007, 10:55
I guess thats one thing about working for the government. If that happened at my work the unions would be all over them...then again I think if I brought a drunk chick to a party dealing with my wife would pose a greater problem than dealing with my boss.
Current Student
Concentration: Finance, Economics
Schools: HKUST MBA - Class of 2014
GMAT 1: 740 Q48 V44
GPA: 3.2
WE: Consulting (Consulting)
Followers: 8

Kudos [?]: 45 [0], given: 8

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 26 Jul 2007, 11:02
Hahahaha,
Handling a mad manager is infinitely better than handling an angry wife