Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 17 Sep 2014, 22:19

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Third party employment verification expense

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Manager
Manager
Schools: McGill Desautels Class of 2013
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 5

Third party employment verification expense [#permalink] New post 22 Nov 2010, 23:18
As I was starting my application for Ross R2 I came across something I need some clarification on.

I noticed as I was reading about the admissions process that a a 3rd party would be used to verify my work history and the subsequent expense is something that I'd be liable to pay for. Now, I have no intention of falsifying my work experience in my application but I was wondering about this process and specifically how much I will be charged for it. The application process can be expensive and I was hoping the expenses would be limited to the application itself and the interview process. Is this practice common among all top American programs,or international programs for that matter (I am applying predominantly to Canadian programs)? Also, is there anyway to provide them with employment records or some other form of verification in order to bypass this expense if it turns out to be a material one? Thanks in advance
Current Student
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

Re: Third party employment verification expense [#permalink] New post 23 Nov 2010, 05:23
this expense will be borne by school, not you....although I suppose you can think of part of the tuition/admission fees as being part of this.
1 KUDOS received
Current Student
Concentration: Finance, Economics
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
GPA: 3.14
Followers: 11

Kudos [?]: 87 [1] , given: 57

GMAT Tests User
Re: Third party employment verification expense [#permalink] New post 23 Nov 2010, 07:50
This post received
KUDOS
woomba wrote:
this expense will be borne by school, not you....although I suppose you can think of part of the tuition/admission fees as being part of this.

Not necessarily. Some schools do require you to pay the fee, and I've read one person say it was $100. The key detail here is that the background check is only done after you're admitted and you've accepted, so it's not like you have to pay the fee for every app you do. The company most schools use for this is called Kroll. There's a thread about Kroll if you do a search.

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

SVP
SVP
Schools: Yale SOM 2011 Alum, Kellogg, Booth, Tuck
WE 1: IB - Restructuring & Distressed M&A
Followers: 71

Kudos [?]: 688 [0], given: 548

GMAT Tests User Reviews Badge
Re: Third party employment verification expense [#permalink] New post 23 Nov 2010, 08:33
brainhurt is right. If we are talking about background check and etc (after getting admitted), the expense (Kroll verification, etc) is assumed by the student.

The expense varies depends on the school because each school has different standards for the background check (some schools ask for more, while others verify less info). Typically, you can assume around $100-$150.

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Manager
Manager
Schools: McGill Desautels Class of 2013
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 5

Re: Third party employment verification expense [#permalink] New post 23 Nov 2010, 16:41
Well if this cost is only applied once I've accepted an offer and therefore will theoretically only happen once in the cycle I can deal with the cost ($100-150) without any problem. Thanks for the info ladies and/or gents
Re: Third party employment verification expense   [#permalink] 23 Nov 2010, 16:41