Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 01 Oct 2014, 04:14

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Third time or not ? Please advise

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Schools: Fisher '15
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Third time or not ? Please advise [#permalink] New post 23 Oct 2012, 23:37
So i took the GMAT twice already
Here are my scores

680 ( Q 49 V 34)

680 (Q 45 V 38)

I know for a fact Im much better than Q 45, however Im not sure as to how it would look on my application if I took it for the third time and scored the same

I am aiming for Cornell, Yale SOM, Sloan and Haas.
Should I consider applying with the dismal 680 or should I plan on retaking the gMAT.
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
Expert Post
GMAT Pill Instructor
Followers: 292

Kudos [?]: 672 [0], given: 6

Re: Third time or not ? Please advise [#permalink] New post 26 Oct 2012, 07:18
Expert's post
Your answer really depends on the rest of your application profile. Do you have enough to make you "stand out" from other applicants for your target schools? A 680 is not bad and you've shown your verbal range from 34-38. Would a school consider you have the background to "contribute" to the classroom and help make their school more diverse? Have you shown career success through promotions? What is your story?

If your application profile is on the weak side, you might consider retaking but try to focus on improving both quant and verbal. The test can really go either way - just a few careless errors on math can drop your quant score. So if you do study again, you'd have to make it a comprehensive effort and be attentive on both quant and verbal. You also have a lot to lose since you scored 680 both times, you could just as easily score lower on the 3rd attempt which you do not want to do. The majority of schools take your best score but scoring below 680 on the 3rd attempt is really not necessary and a waste of your effort the third time around. So, if you do go ahead and retake, you should put in a massive effort.

... and more

Image What's Inside GMAT Pill?

Zeke Lee, GMAT Pill Study Method (Study Less. Score More.)

GMAT Pill Reviews | GMAT PILL Free Practice Test

Expert Post
e-GMAT Representative
Followers: 1276

Kudos [?]: 3590 [0], given: 185

Re: Third time or not ? Please advise [#permalink] New post 26 Oct 2012, 08:49
Expert's post
I agree with Zeke that you should make your decision based on your overall profile. We have had customers who have gotten into top schools with 680. We have also had customers who have taken the GMAT 5 times and then have gotten into top schools. An example is the guy below who appeared for the GMAT 5 times and was accepted into ROSS (Michigan)

from-530-to-680-my-experience-in-russia-121068.html

If you do decide to take the GMAT, I would recommend that you attend the strategy session tomorrow.

https://events-na8.adobeconnect.com/con ... &fl=events

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WeT9_Wr0DlI&feature=youtu.be

Re: Third time or not ? Please advise   [#permalink] 26 Oct 2012, 08:49