Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 22 Jul 2014, 09:48

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Thirty years ago, the percentage of the British people who

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 9

Kudos [?]: 61 [0], given: 25

GMAT Tests User
Thirty years ago, the percentage of the British people who [#permalink] New post 18 Feb 2010, 07:44
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

5% (low)

Question Stats:

70% (02:43) correct 30% (01:56) wrong based on 102 sessions
Thirty years ago, the percentage of the British people who vacationed in foreign countries was very small compared with the large percentage of the British population who travel abroad for vacations now. Foreign travel is, and always has been, expensive from Britain. Therefore, British people must have, on average, more money to spend on vacations now than they did 30 years ago.
The argument requires assuming which one of the following?
(A) If foreign travel had been less expensive 30 years ago, British people would still not have had enough money to take vacation abroad.
(B) If travel to Britain were less expensive, more people of other countries would travel to Britain for their vacations.
(C) If the percentage of British people vacationing abroad was lower 30 years ago, then the British people of 30 years ago must have spent more money on domestic vacations.
(D) If more of the British people 30 years ago had had enough money to vacation abroad, more would have done so.
(E) If British people are now wealthier than they were 30 years ago, then they must have more money to spend on vacations now than they did 30 years ago.
I am struggling with D and E.

OA is
[Reveal] Spoiler:
D
. Can somebody explain for me?

Cheers,
SD

Last edited by SudiptoGmat on 21 Feb 2010, 11:06, edited 1 time in total.
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 4

Re: CR - British people who vacationed [#permalink] New post 19 Feb 2010, 08:50
I think its D.
The author is assuming that Brits from 30years ago did not make foreign travel just cuz they did not have enuff money. That may not be true. Maybe Brits from 30 years ago thot that foreign countries were not as beautiful as Britain, maybe they did not get visas at that time, we don't know
But by making that assumption D he is saying that Brits from 30 years ago always wanted foreign vacation but could not afford it and now that percentage of foreign travel is up that means Brits have more money at their disposal for vacationing.

SudiptoGmat wrote:
Thirty years ago, the percentage of the British people who vacationed in foreign countries was very small compared with the large percentage of the British population who travel abroad for vacations now. Foreign travel is, and always has been, expensive from Britain. Therefore, British people must have, on average, more money to spend on vacations now than they did 30 years ago.
The argument requires assuming which one of the following?
(A) If foreign travel had been less expensive 30 years ago, British people would still not have had enough money to take vacation abroad.
(B) If travel to Britain were less expensive, more people of other countries would travel to Britain for their vacations.
(C) If the percentage of British people vacationing abroad was lower 30 years ago, then the British people of 30 years ago must have spent more money on domestic vacations.
(D) If more of the British people 30 years ago had had enough money to vacation abroad, more would have done so.
(E) If British people are now wealthier than they were 30 years ago, then they must have more money to spend on vacations now than they did 30 years ago.
I am struggling with D and E.

OA is
[Reveal] Spoiler:
E
. Can somebody explain for me?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 26 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR - British people who vacationed [#permalink] New post 19 Feb 2010, 11:33
imo d
1 KUDOS received
Manhattan GMAT Instructor
Affiliations: ManhattanGMAT
Followers: 315

Kudos [?]: 656 [1] , given: 11

Re: CR - British people who vacationed [#permalink] New post 21 Feb 2010, 10:45
This post received
KUDOS
Hey All,

I'm wondering where this questions came from, because if the official answer really is E (as you seem to say), I can't agree. It draws the wrong connection.

Conclusion: British people have more money to spend on vacations now than they did 30 years ago.

Premises: 30 years ago, small percentage of British vk'd abroad. Way more now. VK'ing abroad is expensive.

Assumption: It has anything to do with money.

Problem: We don't need this to make the argument. In fact, it weakens our argument. We want people to travel if they have enough money to do so.

Problem: We don't care about people of other countries.

Problem: Domestic vacations are not part of this argument either.

Answer: Let's try the NOT test (if we take the opposite of the correct assumption, the argument should fall apart) to prove this one. "If more of the British people 30 years ago had had enough money to vacation abroad, more would NOT have done so." Now we have a problem. The passage wants to link the taking of vacations with having enough money to do so, but this now says that when people have enough money to travel, they don't necessarily do so. That destroys the point.

Problem: This is linking money in general to vacation money, but we're not concerned with money in general. If we take the opposite of this ("If British people are now wealthier than they were 30 years ago, they do not necessarily spend more on vacations") [paraphrase], the argument is still fine.

Not sure where this question came from, but if the answer IS E, I'm not seeing it.

Hope that helps!

Tommy Wallach | Manhattan GMAT Instructor | San Francisco

Manhattan GMAT Discount | Manhattan GMAT Reviews

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 9

Kudos [?]: 61 [0], given: 25

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR - British people who vacationed [#permalink] New post 21 Feb 2010, 11:07
Sorry tommy OA is D not E. I have corrected my original post.

Cheers,
SD

Retired Moderator
WE 1: 4yrs in IT Industry
Followers: 21

Kudos [?]: 101 [0], given: 324

Re: CR - British people who vacationed [#permalink] New post 29 Mar 2010, 03:54
Good Question its D

One Final Try.......

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 16

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR - British people who vacationed [#permalink] New post 06 Apr 2010, 05:17
D is the best.
Not e because, it links more money to travel directly, not to willingness to travel. The argument is about people who are willing to travel, but do not do it for economic reasons.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 18

Re: CR - British people who vacationed [#permalink] New post 03 Oct 2011, 14:46
It's D.
Retired Moderator
Status: 2000 posts! I don't know whether I should feel great or sad about it! LOL
Schools: Harvard, Stanford, Wharton, MIT & HKS (Government)
WE 1: Economic research
WE 2: Banking
WE 3: Government: Foreign Trade and SMEs
Followers: 63

Kudos [?]: 249 [0], given: 109

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR - British people who vacationed [#permalink] New post 26 Oct 2011, 23:23
+1 D

"Life’s battle doesn’t always go to stronger or faster men; but sooner or later the man who wins is the one who thinks he can."

My Integrated Reasoning Logbook / Diary: my-ir-logbook-diary-133264.html

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 0

Re: CR - British people who vacationed [#permalink] New post 27 Oct 2011, 06:57
"D"
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 3

Re: CR - British people who vacationed [#permalink] New post 01 Nov 2011, 22:31
+1 D
Verbal Forum Moderator
Verbal Forum Moderator
Concentration: International Business, Marketing
Schools: Duke '16
GMAT Date: 06-06-2014
GPA: 3.07
Followers: 32

Kudos [?]: 156 [0], given: 40

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: Thirty years ago, the percentage of the British people who [#permalink] New post 16 Dec 2011, 01:13
D

Rules for posting in verbal gmat forum, read it before posting anything in verbal forum
Giving me + 1 kudos if my post is valuable with you :)

The more you like my post, the more you share to other's need

CR: Focus of the Week: Must be True Question

Manager
Manager
Concentration: Technology, International Business
GMAT 1: 690 Q48 V37
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 20 [0], given: 6

GMAT Tests User
Re: Thirty years ago, the percentage of the British people who [#permalink] New post 26 Dec 2011, 10:50
D IMO
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 20 [0], given: 110

Re: Thirty years ago, the percentage of the British people who [#permalink] New post 07 Jan 2012, 03:05
Nice question. D is the answer. It fills the gap that if British people 30 years ago had had more money, they would have vacationed abroad. This ties the premises to the conclusion.

Consider KUDOS if you feel the effort's worth it

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 1

Re: Thirty years ago, the percentage of the British people who [#permalink] New post 07 Jan 2012, 20:59
Going for D.
Re: Thirty years ago, the percentage of the British people who   [#permalink] 07 Jan 2012, 20:59