Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 18 Sep 2014, 08:09

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

This April, three out of seven people will file tax returns

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:
1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
Joined: 04 Mar 2007
Posts: 447
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 12 [1] , given: 0

GMAT Tests User
This April, three out of seven people will file tax returns [#permalink] New post 07 Mar 2007, 14:36
1
This post received
KUDOS
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

67% (01:02) correct 33% (00:00) wrong based on 11 sessions
This April, three out of seven people will file tax returns with a disk found in software stores and accounting texts.

A. tax returns with a disk found in software stores and accounting texts
B. a tax return with a disk found in software stores and accounting texts
C. tax returns with disks found in a software store and an accounting text
D. tax returns with a disk found in a software store and an accounting text
E. a tax return with a disk found in a software store and an accounting text

Please explain the answer
Director
Director
avatar
Joined: 28 Dec 2005
Posts: 922
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 37 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: SC tax returns [#permalink] New post 07 Mar 2007, 17:39
Caas wrote:
This April, three out of seven people will file tax returns with a disk found in software stores and accounting texts.

A. tax returns with a disk found in software stores and accounting texts
B. a tax return with a disk found in software stores and accounting texts
C. tax returns with disks found in a software store and an accounting text
D. tax returns with a disk found in a software store and an accounting text
E. a tax return with a disk found in a software store and an accounting text

Please explain the answer


I will go with A.

3 out of 7 people seems to require plural tax returns. A disk sounds out of place, but again, it might imply a type of disk.
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 28 Feb 2007
Posts: 198
Location: California
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: SC tax returns [#permalink] New post 07 Mar 2007, 18:16
Caas wrote:
This April, three out of seven people will file tax returns with a disk found in software stores and accounting texts.

A. tax returns with a disk found in software stores and accounting texts
B. a tax return with a disk found in software stores and accounting texts
C. tax returns with disks found in a software store and an accounting text
D. tax returns with a disk found in a software store and an accounting text
E. a tax return with a disk found in a software store and an accounting text

Please explain the answer


A hard question. My pick A

'tax returns' makes choice between A, C and D
'an accounting text' is too restrictive.
VP
VP
User avatar
Joined: 07 Nov 2005
Posts: 1133
Location: India
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 27 [0], given: 1

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 07 Mar 2007, 19:06
A for me.
This April, three out of seven people will file tax returns with a disk found in software stores and accounting texts.
We need "tax returns" so B also ruled out.
_________________

Trying hard to conquer Quant.

Manager
Manager
User avatar
Joined: 22 Feb 2007
Posts: 165
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 0

Tax return [#permalink] New post 07 Mar 2007, 20:46
C, D, E are ruled out coz of "in a software store and an accounting text" --> this implies that the disk is found in a particular software store / accounting text.

Narrows down choice to A or B

My choice (B).

"tax returns" in (A) is ambiguous - also suggests that the people will file more than one tax return. Hence by POE, answer is (B)

Caas, do you have the OA?
1 KUDOS received
Current Student
avatar
Joined: 28 Dec 2004
Posts: 3404
Location: New York City
Schools: Wharton'11 HBS'12
Followers: 13

Kudos [?]: 159 [1] , given: 2

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 07 Mar 2007, 21:36
1
This post received
KUDOS
this is B..

here 3 out of severn people will file A tax RETURN with A disk found in stores

I wrote the key phrases in Capital letters.

B) sets it out right that 3 out of seven will file A tax (we need singular) with A (again singular) DISK ..suggesting 1 tax file per disk...

other choices distort the meaning, suggesting that you may need several disks to file tax return...other choices suggest that you will file many tax returns with 1 disk..etc..

B is best in my opinion
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 09 Jan 2007
Posts: 242
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 07 Mar 2007, 22:06
(B)

Each person file one tax return, so, I think, 'a tax return' and 'a disk' are right.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
Joined: 04 Mar 2007
Posts: 447
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 09 Mar 2007, 00:41
fresinha12 wrote:
this is B..

here 3 out of severn people will file A tax RETURN with A disk found in stores

I wrote the key phrases in Capital letters.

B) sets it out right that 3 out of seven will file A tax (we need singular) with A (again singular) DISK ..suggesting 1 tax file per disk...

other choices distort the meaning, suggesting that you may need several disks to file tax return...other choices suggest that you will file many tax returns with 1 disk..etc..

B is best in my opinion


Hey,
I agree with you on A tax return and A disk
But I chose E.
Could you axplain why not E?
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 16 Jan 2007
Posts: 20
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

 [#permalink] New post 09 Mar 2007, 03:21
My ans s D

Tax returns ................Disk............................ text
Intern
Intern
User avatar
Joined: 01 Nov 2005
Posts: 48
Location: New jersey
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

B my answer [#permalink] New post 09 Mar 2007, 04:14
Please disclose answer now.. I am curious to know
_________________

Target +700
Life is like a box of chocolate, you never know what you gonna get.. :)

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
Joined: 04 Mar 2007
Posts: 447
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 09 Mar 2007, 09:56
OA is B

Please somebody explain why E is wrong :(
2 KUDOS received
Current Student
avatar
Joined: 28 Dec 2004
Posts: 3404
Location: New York City
Schools: Wharton'11 HBS'12
Followers: 13

Kudos [?]: 159 [2] , given: 2

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 12 Mar 2007, 12:08
2
This post received
KUDOS
E suggests that you can find this DISK in only ONE UNIQUE SOFTWARE STORE...however that is not the intent of the original sentence..you can find this disk at several software stores ..hope this clarifies

Caas wrote:
fresinha12 wrote:
this is B..

here 3 out of severn people will file A tax RETURN with A disk found in stores

I wrote the key phrases in Capital letters.

B) sets it out right that 3 out of seven will file A tax (we need singular) with A (again singular) DISK ..suggesting 1 tax file per disk...

other choices distort the meaning, suggesting that you may need several disks to file tax return...other choices suggest that you will file many tax returns with 1 disk..etc..

B is best in my opinion


Hey,
I agree with you on A tax return and A disk
But I chose E.
Could you axplain why not E?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
Joined: 04 Mar 2007
Posts: 447
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 12 Mar 2007, 12:12
Thanks! I got it finally :)
  [#permalink] 12 Mar 2007, 12:12
    Similar topics Author Replies Last post
Similar
Topics:
2 Experts publish their posts in the topic This April, three out of seven people will file tax returns vijaykp 14 29 Jan 2010, 20:08
2 This April, three out of seven people will file tax returns govinam 12 26 Sep 2006, 14:43
This April, three out of seven people will file tax returns sgrover 3 13 Sep 2005, 08:01
This April, three out of seven people will file tax returns coffeeloverfreak 5 11 Sep 2005, 13:52
This April, three out of seven people will file tax returns gayathri 14 14 Jan 2005, 10:07
Display posts from previous: Sort by

This April, three out of seven people will file tax returns

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  


GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Privacy Policy| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group and phpBB SEO

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.