Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 18 Apr 2014, 07:48

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

This got me down. A real great CR for me. Lobsters and other

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 53 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
This got me down. A real great CR for me. Lobsters and other [#permalink] New post 12 Jul 2008, 00:03
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

5% (low)

Question Stats:

0% (00:00) correct 0% (00:00) wrong based on 0 sessions
This got me down.
A real great CR for me.

Lobsters and other crustaceans eaten by humans are more likely to contract gill diseases when sewage contaminates their water. Under a recent proposal, millions of gallons of local sewage each day would be rerouted many kilometers offshore. Although this would substantially reduce the amount of sewage in the harbor where lobsters are caught, the proposal is pointless, because hardly any lobsters live long enough to be harmed by those diseases.

Which one of the following, if true, most seriously weakens the argument?
(A) Contaminants in the harbor other than sewage are equally harmful to lobsters.
(B) Lobsters, like other crustaceans, live longer in the open ocean than in industrial harbors.
(C) Lobsters breed as readily in sewage-contaminated water as in unpolluted water.
(D) Gill diseases cannot be detected by examining the surface of the lobster.
(E) Humans often ill as a result of eating lobsters with gill diseases.
Director
Director
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 143 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR : Lobsters [#permalink] New post 12 Jul 2008, 00:22
i thought about 2 minutes and then the reaosn came out..

Its E, i may sound rude to Anumal rights activists :wink: ... but who cares if Lobesters are harmed or not .... if they have gill infections and we eat lobseters, we'll get sick .... so there is a point in dumping sewage in open ocean ....
SVP
SVP
Schools: Hard Knocks
Followers: 27

Kudos [?]: 398 [0], given: 32

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR : Lobsters [#permalink] New post 12 Jul 2008, 00:33
This is a tough question. I'm not sure I found one that really does what the question asks.

I have no idea. LOL

huntgmat wrote:
This got me down.
A real great CR for me.

Lobsters and other crustaceans eaten by humans are more likely to contract gill diseases when sewage contaminates their water. Under a recent proposal, millions of gallons of local sewage each day would be rerouted many kilometers offshore. Although this would substantially reduce the amount of sewage in the harbor where lobsters are caught, the proposal is pointless, because hardly any lobsters live long enough to be harmed by those diseases.

Assumptions:
1) Lobsters caught in the harbor live/breed in the harbor. If they live in the open ocean and walk to the harbor to get caught, then the dumping out in the ocean would certainly be pointless, but not for the reasons mentioned by the stem.
2) Gill Diseases take a long time to make a lobster sick
3) Something in the sewege is causing the sickness (decent assumption, but still an assumption)

(A) Contaminants in the harbor other than sewage are equally harmful to lobsters.
This actually supports the conclusion. It says that something else is equally harmful meaning that the lobsters will still get infected even if the sewage is sent kilometers out into the ocean.
(B) Lobsters, like other crustaceans, live longer in the open ocean than in industrial harbors.
At first this seems like the right answer because it talks about lobsters living longer, but then I realized it discusses lobsters in the open ocean, not where obsters are caught. Kind of out of scope.
(C) Lobsters breed as readily in sewage-contaminated water as in unpolluted water.
This has to do with the number of lobsters born/spawned(?), not how long they live.
Huh? Does this even matter? Where does the stem say anything about detecting the diseases?
This actually supports the reasoning. The entire passage would be unnecessary if this were not true.

------------------------------------
J Allen Morris
**I'm pretty sure I'm right, but then again, I'm just a guy with his head up his a$$.

SVP
SVP
Schools: Hard Knocks
Followers: 27

Kudos [?]: 398 [0], given: 32

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR : Lobsters [#permalink] New post 12 Jul 2008, 00:37
You're right. I agree with your reasoning. It's a very simple answer and I know I'm not used to looking for simple answers. I guess we should ask ourselves this question:

What answer makes it worthwhile to get rid of the sewage that (as the stem says) causes gill diseases?

If people get sick from eating lobster that has gill diseases due to sewage, then it is not pointless (as the conclusion states) to dump the sewage farther out into the ocean.

This is one of those questions for which the answer was sitting right in front of us.

durgesh79 wrote:
i thought about 2 minutes and then the reaosn came out..

Its E, i may sound rude to Anumal rights activists :wink: ... but who cares if Lobesters are harmed or not .... if they have gill infections and we eat lobseters, we'll get sick .... so there is a point in dumping sewage in open ocean ....

------------------------------------
J Allen Morris
**I'm pretty sure I'm right, but then again, I'm just a guy with his head up his a$$.

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 53 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR : Lobsters [#permalink] New post 12 Jul 2008, 23:49
Good JOB
OA E
1 KUDOS received
VP
VP
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 130 [1] , given: 10

GMAT Tests User Reviews Badge
Re: CR : Lobsters [#permalink] New post 14 Jul 2008, 12:25
This post received
KUDOS
huntgmat wrote:
This got me down.
A real great CR for me.

For a change I did not find this CR difficult :)

Premise :Lobsters and other crustaceans eaten by humans are more likely to contract gill diseases when sewage contaminates their water. Under a recent proposal, millions of gallons of local sewage each day would be rerouted many kilometers offshore.
COnclusion:the proposal is pointless, because hardly any lobsters live long enough to be harmed by those diseases

humans get gill diseases from lobsters grown in sewage waters. proposal -reduce pollution becasue losbsters don't live long enough.

Assumption - Lobsters die or eaten before they are affected by the disease. So they cannot pass on to humans.

E weakens that assumption.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 22 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR : Lobsters [#permalink] New post 14 Jul 2008, 12:32
It is E,

Obvious that lobsters need not be harmed by contamination, but that contamination when consumed by humans will harm them. So contamination must stop.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 23 [0], given: 2

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR : Lobsters [#permalink] New post 14 Jul 2008, 18:59
Can someone please help understand E.

why A is wrong here.

it is said that the main point is to reroute the sewage water so that water doesnt get polluted.

and A says that even if the water is rerouted , lobsters will get infected because of the other pollutants in water so it is pointless to reroute water. hence it is directly attacking the conclusion.
Re: CR : Lobsters   [#permalink] 14 Jul 2008, 18:59