Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 03:20 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 03:20

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618897 [106]
Given Kudos: 81595
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Tutor
Affiliations: GMAT Coach
Own Kudos [?]: 848 [18]
Given Kudos: 198
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V44
GMAT 2: 770 Q51 V44
GMAT 3: 770 Q50 V44
GMAT 4: 770 Q50 V45 (Online)
GMAT 5: 780 Q51 V48
Send PM
Volunteer Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 6858 [6]
Given Kudos: 500
General Discussion
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Re: The central issue before the court was how far the regulatory agencies [#permalink]
why not option E .... Isn't their intension to require better condition...

Please explain @e-gmat
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 65 [1]
Given Kudos: 309
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V36
GPA: 3.85
Send PM
Re: The central issue before the court was how far the regulatory agencies [#permalink]
Bookmarks
VeritasKarishma please help!!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 43 [0]
Given Kudos: 76
Concentration: Technology, Strategy
GMAT 1: 650 Q49 V31
Send PM
Any particular logic as to find whether conditions should precede factors ?
Not clear on IMO
McCombs School Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 354 [4]
Given Kudos: 151
GMAT 1: 690 Q50 V33
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
The central issue before the court was how far the regulatory agencies should go in requiring better working conditions in factories.

This question tests more on the diction/idiom part of English. "how far X ... in <gerund action>" is the correct format. Hence A is the correct answer.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 234 [0]
Given Kudos: 359
Concentration: Technology, General Management
GMAT 1: 640 Q48 V29
GMAT 2: 700 Q49 V36 (Online)
WE:Information Technology (Computer Software)
Send PM
Abhi077, GMATNinja, GMATNinjaTwo, generis, hazelnut

Please explain the error in E. It seems A has better diction. I fail to understand the error in E.

Arup
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 144 [0]
Given Kudos: 143
GPA: 4
Send PM
The central issue before the court was how far the regulatory agencies [#permalink]
The central issue before the court was how far the regulatory agencies should go in requiring better working conditions in factories.

A. in requiring better working conditions in factories

B. as far as requiring better working conditions in factories

C. in their requirement that factories should have better working conditions

D. as far as requiring that factories should have better working conditions

E. to require factories to have better working conditions

Helllo!
Eliminate Options B and D as there is no need of a comparison here.

Option E has not placed the words correctly
Option C is not correct. The use of have is not required.

Hence, Option A is perfect in terms of the usage of the words and its implied meaning.

Official Answer-: Option A
Kindly educate me if anything seems incorrect above.

Thank you!

Regards,
Raunak Damle :please:
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 396 [5]
Given Kudos: 2198
Send PM
The central issue before the court was how far the regulatory agencies [#permalink]
Kudos
"in requiring" in choice A means that the action of requiring has happened and the agencies decide how far they should go in this happening action. in short, the agencies first require and then they consider how far they continue to require.

'to require" in choice E means that action of requiring has not happened.' how far they should go to require' is meaningless.

regarding choice C. I dont like official explanation in og books.

"requirements' in choice C is correct but 'requirement that ...should" is redundant. presence of both "requirement" and "should" is redundant. 'should" should be cut off.

this type of redundancy in command verbs is tested many times on og books. but why the explanation of choice C is still not good.

"I demand that you learn gmat" is correct on gmat and " I demand that you should learn gmat" is wrong on gmat.

Originally posted by thangvietnam on 09 Jun 2020, 03:23.
Last edited by thangvietnam on 05 Nov 2020, 04:36, edited 2 times in total.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 39 [0]
Given Kudos: 19
GMAT 1: 720 Q50 V36
Send PM
GMATNinja, this question requires your attention :-P :)
I am getting hard time to understand the difference between A and E.
What I get the meaning is that the agencies require factories to have better working conditions. What exactly E is doing here?
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 12 [2]
Given Kudos: 133
GMAT 1: 710 Q50 V35
GPA: 2.8
Send PM
Kudos
Bunuel wrote:

SC16903
https://www.nytimes.com/1981/07/05/business/economic-affairs-the-nondecision-cotton-dust-decision.html
ON June 17, the Supreme Court handed down its most important decision in some years on the regulation of health and safety. The central issue was how far the regulatory agencies should go in requiring healthier working conditions in factories.

We have to read the sentence by removing all the unnecessary fluff.
The issue was how far the agencies should go in requiring better working conditions in factories.

Seems okay. NO PROBLEM. Keep it.

how far ---should go as far as. Does not makes sense at all.

Change in the meaning. There is no requirement of agencies.

Same problem as B.

Agencies do not require factories in this sentence. Wrong

daagh sir. Can you please tell whether my approach is correct?
Tutor
Affiliations: GMAT Coach
Own Kudos [?]: 848 [0]
Given Kudos: 198
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V44
GMAT 2: 770 Q51 V44
GMAT 3: 770 Q50 V44
GMAT 4: 770 Q50 V45 (Online)
GMAT 5: 780 Q51 V48
Send PM
Expert Reply
thangvietnam wrote:
is this from official?

"to do" used after a clause shows the would be action normally. of course, to do in this way can show a fact as in " i go go vietnam just to know that everything is good".

here, to require show a future action. this is not good. the requiring action happen already, not a future action. this meaning is better.

the agencies do requiring and then decide how far they should go in this action. agency dose not go for purpose of requiring which have not happened.
so, choice b is good, choice e is wrong

thangvietnam Yes, this question is from the new product sold at mba.com, "GMAT Official Practice Questions 2". Many of these questions appear to be quite old -- for example, some of the RC passages were originally posted on the forum in 2004.
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 2333 [4]
Given Kudos: 135
Concentration: Economics, Finance
Schools: IIMA (A)
GMAT Focus 1:
735 Q90 V85 DI85
GMAT Focus 2:
735 Q90 V85 DI85
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V47
GRE 1: Q170 V168
Send PM
Kudos