Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 01 Nov 2014, 03:16

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

This is a sentence from Manhattan SC guide : The rebels

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 30 [0], given: 3

This is a sentence from Manhattan SC guide : The rebels [#permalink] New post 20 Apr 2010, 13:55
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

100% (00:00) correct 0% (00:00) wrong based on 12 sessions
This is a sentence from Manhattan SC guide :

The rebels demanded the withdrawl of government forces from disputed regions, significant reductions in overall troop levels, raising the rebel flag on holidays, AND a general pardon .

This has an error pf parallelism at underlined portion.What role raising is playing gramatticaly in this sentence if kept as it is ? and what correction should be applied and why ?
Manager
Manager

Re: Adavance Parallelism - Manhattan SC Guide - MUST DO [#permalink] New post 22 Apr 2010, 05:34
Nobody to take his chance ? Need some explanation here..
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 38 [1] , given: 0

Re: Adavance Parallelism - Manhattan SC Guide - MUST DO [#permalink] New post 22 Apr 2010, 10:00
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
GMATMadeeasy wrote:
This is a sentence from Manhattan SC guide :

The rebels demanded the withdrawl of government forces from disputed regions, significant reductions in overall troop levels, raising the rebel flag on holidays, AND a general pardon .
This has an error pf parallelism at underlined portion.What role raising is playing gramatticaly in this sentence if kept as it is ? and what correction should be applied and why ?

First of all, never stop. Until you get the answer of your question(s), you should cry for the answer.

I am here to answer your question, though I don't know whether you will be convinced.

Answer of your question:

Split the sentence into its skeleton:

The rebels demanded X, Y, Z, and W.
Here, x, y, z, and w are the nouns.
Since withdrawal, reduction, and pardon are all nouns, raising should also be in noun form for parallelism.

Raising itself is a noun, yet we can form noun from verb by following the following structure:

The + Verb +ing +of +Noun

Examples:
I like the reading of history.
The reading of history is my favorite hobby.

So, the correct option should be as follows:

The rebels demanded the withdrawl of government forces from disputed regions, significant reductions in overall troop levels, the raising of the rebel flag on holidays, AND a general pardon .

Hope, it helps.

Never, never, never GIVE UP.

Manager
Manager

Re: Adavance Parallelism - Manhattan SC Guide - MUST DO [#permalink] New post 22 Apr 2010, 10:22
Thank you so much, it makes it clearer . But that's where the problem is as well .

raising itself is noun then why do we need to change it to noun phrase using the + verb + ing ....
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 1

Re: Adavance Parallelism - Manhattan SC Guide - MUST DO [#permalink] New post 22 Apr 2010, 11:12
GMATMadeeasy wrote:
Thank you so much, it makes it clearer . But that's where the problem is as well .

raising itself is noun then why do we need to change it to noun phrase using the + verb + ing ....

I fully agree with gmatisnothard. raising here actually working as a present participle. raising the rebel flag. raising is working as Noun adjective. Just the word raising cud act as noun or gerudn or participle depending on its usage. to make raising noun do 'the raising of the rebel flag'
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 38 [0], given: 0

Re: Adavance Parallelism - Manhattan SC Guide - MUST DO [#permalink] New post 22 Apr 2010, 22:33
nilesh376 wrote:
GMATMadeeasy wrote:

I fully agree with gmatisnothard. raising here actually working as a present participle. raising the rebel flag. raising is working as Noun adjective. Just the word raising cud act as noun or gerudn or participle depending on its usage. to make raising noun do 'the raising of the rebel flag'

Yes, absolutely your are right.

raising can be used as present participle, which may be acting as noun or adjective. So, to avoid the ambiguity we should make the verb noun by using "the +verb+ing+of +noun".

Thanks.

Never, never, never GIVE UP.

Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Adavance Parallelism - Manhattan SC Guide - MUST DO [#permalink] New post 05 Oct 2011, 06:08
Hey,

isn't it suppose to be:

The rebels demanded that ... ?
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 77 [0], given: 7

Re: Adavance Parallelism - Manhattan SC Guide - MUST DO [#permalink] New post 25 Apr 2012, 04:15
belenkil wrote:
Hey,

isn't it suppose to be:

I too Think that , the word demand should take subjunctive form and the sentence formation must change ????
Experts please throw some light as to why we are not using sujunctive mood here ???

The Best Way to Keep me ON is to give Me KUDOS !!!
If you Like My posts please Consider giving Kudos

Shikhar

Manager
Manager
Concentration: Strategy, Operations
Schools: ISB '15
GMAT 1: 720 Q48 V40
GPA: 3.18
WE: Supply Chain Management (Manufacturing)
Followers: 13

Kudos [?]: 37 [0], given: 34

Reviews Badge
Re: This is a sentence from Manhattan SC guide : The rebels [#permalink] New post 25 Apr 2012, 04:31
Quote:
Hey,

isn't it suppose to be:

it depends on the sentence structure IMO...

you can say: I demanded that my pay be increased. -->clause follows 'that'
or u could say :i demanded an increase in pay.--> a noun modifier (appositive)which acts as an object for the verb demand.

ie you can demand, require, insist, beg 'a noun'...but not a doer (subject) to do something........

Both are correct i think....but i'll be waiting for an expert opinion....
Intern
Intern
Schools: HBS,Yale, British Columbia Business School, Wharton Business School

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 0

Re: This is a sentence from Manhattan SC guide : The rebels [#permalink] New post 25 Apr 2012, 05:11
For resolving these kind of ambiguity, you should carefully OG SC. If u do so, you will realize some insights of how GMAT TEST MAKERS view SC logic. From my experience i would like to share some critical points.
Divide the sentence in multiple parts.
Rephrase each part individually and try to find any faulty expression distracting you.

Carefully consider my aforementioned sentence. Using **distracting** i denoted some sort of continuity.

However, sorry for distracting you.

If you observe the pattern of OG SC, you really find out that in past sentence GMAT never ever use present partciple even as a noun.

Again consider the sentence.

"The rebels demanded
raising the rebel flag on
holidays, AND a general
pardon ."

here, raising indicates the structure:

s+main verb+(to+base verb-2nd verb)/v+ing.

So, you should resolve these type of paradox.
Hope, this will help.

Posted from my mobile device Image
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Re: This is a sentence from Manhattan SC guide : The rebels [#permalink] New post 25 Apr 2012, 05:17
upasanadatta wrote:
Quote:
Hey,

isn't it suppose to be:

it depends on the sentence structure IMO...

you can say: I demanded that my pay be increased. -->clause follows 'that'
or u could say :i demanded an increase in pay.--> a noun modifier (appositive)which acts as an object for the verb demand.

ie you can demand, require, insist, beg 'a noun'...but not a doer (subject) to do something........

Both are correct i think....but i'll be waiting for an expert opinion....

:lol: :lol: Image
Expert Post
Verbal Forum Moderator
Verbal Forum Moderator
Concentration: Finance, Marketing
GPA: 3.75
Followers: 130

Kudos [?]: 652 [0], given: 62

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member
Re: This is a sentence from Manhattan SC guide : The rebels [#permalink] New post 22 Aug 2012, 12:26
Expert's post
In the mentioned question, and in fact always remember: action nouns can only be parallel to either action nouns or complex gerunds. The action nouns are withdrawal, significant reduction, general pardon. To make "raising of the rebel flag" parallel to these nouns, we must make it either an action noun or a complex gerund. Right now I am not getting how to make it an action noun but to make it a complex gerund, just add "the" prior to raising.

To answer the second question that the sentence should be demand that. Always remember that demand that generally follows a clause where as demand generally follows noun phrase. I used "generally" because English is a very funny language.

Prepositional Phrases Clarified|Elimination of BEING| Absolute Phrases Clarified
Rules For Posting
www.Univ-Scholarships.com

Manager
Manager
Status: SLOGGING : My son says,This time Papa u will have to make it : Innocence is BLISS
WE: Sales (Energy and Utilities)
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 30

CAT Tests
Re: Adavance Parallelism - Manhattan SC Guide - MUST DO [#permalink] New post 28 Aug 2012, 12:31
belenkil wrote:
Hey,

isn't it suppose to be:

Hi,

Lets momentarily keep all grammar @ the backburner : ( For this specific Question )

1. The Rebels DEMANDED............. The withdrawal of Govt forces.

2. The Rebels DEMANDED..............THAT .......The withdrawal of Govt forces

Does option 2 make any sense ? The basic structure falls into an abyss.

In complete agreement with previous posters wrt Demand that concept in general.
1 KUDOS received
SVP
SVP
Followers: 284

Kudos [?]: 69 [1] , given: 0

Premium Member
Re: This is a sentence from Manhattan SC guide : The rebels [#permalink] New post 28 Aug 2014, 08:19
This post received
KUDOS
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
Re: This is a sentence from Manhattan SC guide : The rebels   [#permalink] 28 Aug 2014, 08:19