Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 24 Jul 2014, 02:46

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

This is from GMAT Prep. My coordinate geometry is pretty

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 0

This is from GMAT Prep. My coordinate geometry is pretty [#permalink] New post 12 Jan 2008, 06:12
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

0% (00:00) correct 0% (00:00) wrong based on 0 sessions
This is from GMAT Prep. My coordinate geometry is pretty poor. Can anybody help me to understand this? Thanks.

In the xy-plane, the line k passes through the origin and through the point (a,b) where ab <> 0. Is b positive?

(1) The slope of line k is negative
(2) a<b
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
Director
Director
Followers: 12

Kudos [?]: 192 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: Coordinate Geometry DS - GMAT Prep [#permalink] New post 12 Jan 2008, 07:49

Here's our coordinate plane. The question says we have a line that passes through the origin (the read dot at point 0,0).
The line also passes through point (a,b) which is NOT at (0,0) but rather somewhere else.
The A value will slide the point left and right, the B value will slide the point up and down.
They're asking if B is positive. For B to be positive the point would have to be above the x-axis (quadrant I or II)

Statement 1 The slope of line k is negative

This means that the slope starts high and drops as it moves right. In other words, the line passes through quadrants II and IV. This is insufficient however because we don't know where point (a,b) is. It can be in quadrant II or quadrant IV, and B will only be positive if it's in quadrant II now.

INSUFFICIENT

Statement 2 a<b

This is possible in every quadrant except for quadrant IV where all the As are positive and all the Bs are negative. In every other quadrant though there are points where a<b. From this we know that the point is in quadrant I, II or III.

INSUFFICIENT

Now taken together: from statement 1 we know it's in quadrant II or IV. From statement 2 we know it's in I, II or III. Together we know that point (a,b) is in quadrant II where B is always positive.

SUFFICIENT

Answer C
Re: Coordinate Geometry DS - GMAT Prep   [#permalink] 12 Jan 2008, 07:49