Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 24 Oct 2014, 12:54

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

This is just a tribute..... to GMAT-club

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Schools: Darden Class of 2012
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 12 [1] , given: 6

This is just a tribute..... to GMAT-club [#permalink] New post 05 Nov 2009, 07:20
This post received
KUDOS
I just finished my first real GMAT-test with a score of 730 (Q49, V40).

Since I have found the experiences of others posted in this forum to be extremely helpful I will share with you my own experience.

A quick academic background check. I am 25 years old, from Denmark (non-native American speaker) with a BsC in Economics and I will be getting a MsC in Economics by early 2010.

I started my preparation a little more than 2 months ago. On the advice of a friend of mine (top 15 MBA-school grad) I started out preparing for maths using the CAT's of 800score.com. Seeing my first results felt equivalent to being punched in the mouth by Albert Haynesworth (at least that's how I imagine that would feel): I scored much lower than expected, generally around 35 (44th percentile). Thus I realized that I had a lot of work ahead of me.

I began studying the quantitative guide at 800score.com. This is actually quite a good guide which covers most of the topics that are asked in the quantitative segment of the GMAT-test. However, it did not feel that I significantly improved my score.

Next up was the Kaplan CAT's. This was the first time I encountered the verbal section of the GMAT and I could finally get a total score. This, however, was not a:

kind of moment. I scored in the 550-range in the two tests that I did from Kaplan. So I was kinda desperate. I needed to get above 700 and it seemed I had a long way to go.

So I started "googlin" and found GMAT-club. And boy, that was a difference maker. The first thing I noticed was the review of the CATS (http://gmatclub.com/forum/all-gmat-cat-practice-tests-links-prices-reviews-77460.html). Those I had come across until that point were rated quite low on this list. Reading around the forums quickly made me realize that I really needed to get the Official Guide. So I ordered that. While I waited for the order to arrive, I started browsing the quantitative forums here. What a resource! The taglines allowed me to find the questions where exercise was most needed (a special thanks to Bunuel for providing very challenging questions and good explanations when needed).

Another great feature is the GMAT-score estimator. From this tool I learned that a 550 Kaplan score was equivalent to a 630 GMAT-score.

Furthermore I tried the free tests of GMAT-club which were challenging - but I managed to do quite well, scoring in the 60th-70th percentiles (considering there are probably many re-takers I was satisfied with these results).

When the OG finally arrived there was just 7 days until test-day so I decided to take the whole week off and just read this book. I did the Diagnostics test with the results:

PS - above average
DS - excellent
RC - excellent
CR - excellent
SC - above average

So I decided to give 100% focus to PS and SC. During the week, I did 180 of the PS questions and 50 of the SC questions and wrote an error log. On day 3 of the final week I did GMAT-prep #1 for the first time ever - and scored 740. 740? 740? WTF???

This was much higher than I expected. So naturally my confidence level rose. But it could have been just a fluke, though. However, on day 5 I did the GMAT-prep #2 and this time I got a 760! Obviously I was pretty much down with this GMAT stuff by now.

On the day before the GMAT I briefly reviewed my error log and that was the only GMAT-related activity on that day: My brain got a well-deserved rest.

Then came test-day (today). I had a perfect nights sleep and came into the test centre 30 minutes before test-time with only a slight anxiety disorder. Armed with two cans of energy drink I took on the test. A was not really nervous during AWA's since I had read on this forum that they are rather insignificant. While some find them exhausting, I actually liked them since they allowed me to reconcile with the atmosphere of the testing room and served to relax my overloaded nervous system.

The math part was fine. It accurately resembled the GMAT Prep software experience. However, I do think that the verbal part was a bit harder in the real GMAT than in the GMAT Prep software. Particularly, the RC questions seemed to be tougher and I'm pretty sure that they were the reason that I scored a bit lower than in GMATPrep (I had no errors in RC in either GMAT Prep test).

Then came the score: 730! Wuhuuuuuuuuuuuu! TTYN GMAT!

In conclusion I would like to thank BB for running such a great site. Although impossible to quantify, I will claim that this forum added at least 30 points to my score. Being able to gauge the difficulties and experiences of other "ordinary" test-takers has be invaluable.

[And just before I'm out, check out this thread for test-day advise http://gmatclub.com/forum/gmatclubbing-administered-770-50q-45v-86239.html. I followed most of his test-day advise, however I did not take the meds recommended. And perhaps more importantly, I didn't drink Gatorade. That might serve as an alternative explanation as to why my test result came 10-30 points short of my GMATPrep results ;-D ]

Last edited by Augustus on 06 Nov 2009, 01:06, edited 7 times in total.
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
Tuck Thread Master
Schools: Stanford (in), Tuck (WL), Wharton (ding), Cornell (in)
Followers: 12

Kudos [?]: 93 [0], given: 69

Re: This is just a tribute..... to GMAT-club [#permalink] New post 05 Nov 2009, 08:13
Congrats! That's really a great score!!

And yes, Gmatclub is truly an amazing place to visit and that's because of BB, Bunuel and many, many other dedicated users, always ready to help
Manager
Manager
Schools: Kellogg
Followers: 48

Kudos [?]: 394 [0], given: 3

CAT Tests
Re: This is just a tribute..... to GMAT-club [#permalink] New post 05 Nov 2009, 08:19
Congrats on bringing the journey to a successful end. Application time! :P

GMAT Strategies: slingfox-s-gmat-strategies-condensed-96483.html

Expert Post
Founder
Founder
Affiliations: UA-1K, SPG-G, HH-D
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.5
WE: Information Technology (Hospitality and Tourism)
Followers: 2325

Kudos [?]: 9454 [0], given: 3701

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: This is just a tribute..... to GMAT-club [#permalink] New post 05 Nov 2009, 13:01
Expert's post
Thank you and congratulations!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Founder of GMAT Club

Just starting out with GMAT? Start here... | Want to know your GMAT Score? Try GMAT Score Estimator
Need GMAT Book Recommendations? Best GMAT Books

Co-author of the GMAT Club tests

Have a blog? Feature it on GMAT Club!

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Expert Post
CEO
CEO
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Other
Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2011
GMAT 1: 750 Q50 V40
Followers: 367

Kudos [?]: 1854 [0], given: 359

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member
Re: This is just a tribute..... to GMAT-club [#permalink] New post 05 Nov 2009, 13:20
Expert's post
Well done! Congratulations!!!!

HOT! GMAT TOOLKIT 2 (iOS) / GMAT TOOLKIT (Android) - The OFFICIAL GMAT CLUB PREP APP, a must-have app especially if you aim at 700+ | PrepGame

Expert Post
Founder
Founder
Affiliations: UA-1K, SPG-G, HH-D
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.5
WE: Information Technology (Hospitality and Tourism)
Followers: 2325

Kudos [?]: 9454 [0], given: 3701

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: This is just a tribute..... to GMAT-club [#permalink] New post 05 Nov 2009, 14:57
Expert's post
I would add - VERY NICE [imagine borat voice]

Founder of GMAT Club

Just starting out with GMAT? Start here... | Want to know your GMAT Score? Try GMAT Score Estimator
Need GMAT Book Recommendations? Best GMAT Books

Co-author of the GMAT Club tests

Have a blog? Feature it on GMAT Club!

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Manager
Manager
Schools: Darden Class of 2012

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 6

Re: This is just a tribute..... to GMAT-club [#permalink] New post 06 Nov 2009, 00:58
Thanks you guys! BTW I (shamefully) forgot to thank Walker for some very, very good posts as well. Particularly, the thread on permutations, combinations and probability was a life-saver.

Primarily due to time constraints, I only did the two free GMATClub tests (i.e. test 25 (quantitative) and test 6 (verbal)). I do believe that they are very helpful and a great resource for improving your score. So -if possible - I would recommend doing at least a couple of the quantitative tests.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Schools: Baruch / Zicklin
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 36 [0], given: 148

Re: This is just a tribute..... to GMAT-club [#permalink] New post 09 Nov 2009, 11:13
GREAT SUCCESS! VERRY NIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIICE!
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
GPA: 3.41

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 7

Re: This is just a tribute..... to GMAT-club [#permalink] New post 10 Nov 2009, 11:52
Loved the Albert Haynesworth comment...
Re: This is just a tribute..... to GMAT-club   [#permalink] 10 Nov 2009, 11:52