Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 26 Jul 2014, 05:25

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

This is one of the wildest SC I've ever seen and every time

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Director
Director
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
This is one of the wildest SC I've ever seen and every time [#permalink] New post 13 Oct 2006, 06:55
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

0% (00:00) correct 0% (00:00) wrong based on 0 sessions
This is one of the wildest SC I've ever seen and every time I do it, I choose the wrong answer.
It also belongs to the SCs which have the most posts in this forum and has the most wrong answers

For this thread, I would like that we only discuss the different answers, rather than just give gross answers which can be found in the past posts.
So I will be very grateful to the one who will be able to explain what lies beneath!
It is the only way to avoid to answer repeatedly with a wrong answer...

My question is following :
Why is C wrong? Until now, I couldn't find a convincing explanation.
C is // : were determined and (were) differing
C makes sense and also the tense:
Contrary to one post which said that the time ARE differing, I oppose that as the local times WERE abolished, there are not differing anymore, so past could be acceptable.

679.The growth of the railroads led to the abolition of local times, which was determined by when the sun reached the observer's meridian and differing from city to city, and to the establishment of regional times.

(A) which was determined by when the sun reached the observer's meridian and differing
(B) which was determined by when the sun reached the observer's meridian and which differed
(C) which were determined by when the sun reached the observer's meridian and differing
(D) determined by when the sun reached the observer's meridian and differed
(E) determined by when the sun reached the observer's meridian and differing
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 13 Oct 2006, 07:16
I have not tried this SC before but think that (B) should be the answer.Because of parallelism in "differerd"

(C) uses the plural form - "were" but the growth is singular hence "was" is required.
Current Student
Followers: 23

Kudos [?]: 120 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User Reviews Badge
Re: SC - Crasy SC... [#permalink] New post 13 Oct 2006, 07:19
karlfurt wrote:
This is one of the wildest SC I've ever seen and every time I do it, I choose the wrong answer.
It also belongs to the SCs which have the most posts in this forum and has the most wrong answers

For this thread, I would like that we only discuss the different answers, rather than just give gross answers which can be found in the past posts.
So I will be very grateful to the one who will be able to explain what lies beneath!

Contrary to one post which said that the time ARE differing, I oppose that as the local times WERE abolished, there are not differing anymore, so past could be acceptable.

679.The growth of the railroads led to the abolition of local times, which was determined by when the sun reached the observer's meridian and differing from city to city, and to the establishment of regional times.

(A) which was determined by when the sun reached the observer's meridian and differing
(B) which was determined by when the sun reached the observer's meridian and which differed
(C) which were determined by when the sun reached the observer's meridian and differing

Karlfurt, "abolition of + plural noun..." takes a singular S-V.

Hope that helps!
Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: SC - Crasy SC... [#permalink] New post 13 Oct 2006, 07:40
karlfurt wrote:

if you see any sentence with the subject and followed by of you can very much say it's a singular subject - Reference MGMAT SC
-
The group of students is willing to do social work.

Matt correct me if I'm wrong ... so answer is B.
Director
Director

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 13 Oct 2006, 08:33
:)

Guys, thanks for your first support! But I think you should read the SC again! :-D

Be more concentrated! :shock:
Current Student
Followers: 23

Kudos [?]: 120 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User Reviews Badge
Re: SC - Crasy SC... [#permalink] New post 13 Oct 2006, 08:36
GMATT73 wrote:
karlfurt wrote:

Karlfurt, "abolition of + plural noun..." takes a singular S-V.

Hope that helps!

This explains why "were" is wrong in (C).

The correct answer here should be (E) for the correct parenthetical phrase usage.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 13 Oct 2006, 09:20
I disagree.

Were correctly references local times.The only reason i see (E) being the OA is coz its more concise than (C).

A well-balanced person is one who has a drink in each of his hands.

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 13 Oct 2006, 10:42
Ok I came down to D and E because the which in other choices is faulty, because it is intended to refer to growth but you can clearly see according to the rules that it is not used correctly.

From D to E, I want the explaination for why D is not right coz this gerund thing is killing me lately because I am losing it now as to when is it appropriate to use gerund -ing? Matt or someone, please :-D
Manager
Manager

[#permalink] New post 13 Oct 2006, 11:11
Sangrelli,

In choice"E"
determined by when the sun reached the observer's meridian and differing

The two words are not in parallel form:- determined by...... & differing from .....
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 13 Oct 2006, 13:05
Going for B, need determined and differed, can't use differing as we are in past tense - abolition, was, establishment, differing doesn't fit here.

In D, using determined then differed without whiched as a prefix suggests that the difference between cities was used to determine as well as the meridian. So B.
Director
Director

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 14 Oct 2006, 10:09
sangarelli wrote:
I disagree.

Were correctly references local times.The only reason i see (E) being the OA is coz its more concise than (C).

I disagree too because I suppose that the following sentences are true:

The friends of my father, who is extremely nice, are numerous.
The color of the cars, which are in my garage, is unique.

Sangarelli, how do you know E is the OA? :)

You say that the only reason is that E is more concise than C. But I see another difference : E says that the times are still differing, whereas the original sentence and C say the times WERE differing.

So why choosing E, if E is changing the meaning and if C is correct?

By the way, OA is E...
VP
VP

Kudos [?]: 18 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 14 Oct 2006, 12:58
Guys correct me if I am wrong

In option E is

determined by when the sun reached the observer's meridian and [by]differing

Is "by differing" understood to be in parallel with by when the sun reached the observer's meridian ?

Since it is in the form

determined by A and [by] B

Am I thinking correctly?
VP
VP

Kudos [?]: 31 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 14 Oct 2006, 21:09
This has been discussed before.

Answer: E.

reason:

A and b are wrong because of "was".

D is wrong becuase of "differed". differ is intransitive verb, u can use it this way.

between C and E, E is more concise and parallel than C is.
Director
Director

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 15 Oct 2006, 01:26
trivikram wrote:
Guys correct me if I am wrong

In option E is

determined by when the sun reached the observer's meridian and [by]differing

Is "by differing" understood to be in parallel with by when the sun reached the observer's meridian ?

Since it is in the form

determined by A and [by] B

Am I thinking correctly?

It doensn't make much sense if it to be understood as "by differing".
So I read the sentence as : determined by A and differing".
  [#permalink] 15 Oct 2006, 01:26