Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 10:38 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 10:38

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Difficulty: 555-605 Levelx   Must be Truex                              
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 579 [333]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63648 [82]
Given Kudos: 1773
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170

GRE 2: Q170 V170
Send PM
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 743 [18]
Given Kudos: 3
Send PM
General Discussion
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 28 [14]
Send PM
Re: The percentage of households with an annual income of more than $40,00 [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
Answer is B.

Merlon has highest %>40

Summer has highest %> 60

If everyone in Merlon who made over 40,000 also made over 60,000, then Merlon would have the highest %> 60. Hence at least 1 person in Merlon must make between 40 and 60.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 60 [1]
Send PM
Re: The percentage of households with an annual income of more than $40,00 [#permalink]
Kudos
The percentage of households with an annual income of more than $40,000 is higher in Merton county than in any other county. However, the percentage of households with an annual income of $60,000 or more is highest in Sommer County.

If the statements above are true, which of the following can properly be concluded on the basis of them?

A) No household in Merton county has an annual income of $60,000 or more. - Household in Merton may have one or 2 or less people with 60K income. This is unknown. Hence - Out.

B) Some households in Merton county have an annual income between $40,000 and $60,000 - May be that some of the merton household have income more than 60K and none of them between 40k and 60K. This is not stated, and we cannot assume. - Hence OUT.

C) THe number of households with an annual income of more than $40,000 is greater in Merton than in Sommer County - This is clearly stated in the main statement. This is the correct one. Unless until stated or can be referred clearly, we cannot assume..

D) Average annual household income is higher in Sommer than in Merton County - We do not have numbers, hence we cannot know about the average. Hence OUT

E) The percentage of households with an annual income of $80,000 is higher in Sommer than in Merton County- Same case as D. Hence OUT.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 159 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
I am tempted to choose D. Let me explain.

Going by general fundamentals on avgs's we know that when it comes to weighted avg's the avg inclines itself towards that number whose weight is more. So the avg income in Somer county is more that in Merton county.

Let me elaborate with some numbers.

Merton county - majortiy if >40k income (Say 45k). Lets assume 100 people and 60 people with >40k income. The remaining would be less than 40k (say 35k).

Avg = (60*45 + 40*35)/100 = 41k (closer to 40k than 35k)

For Sommer country - going by the same logic and similar no.s, we have

Avg = (60*65 + 40*55)/100 = 61k (closer to 60k)

So D.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 28 [2]
Send PM
Kudos
Damn, i'm really trying to beat this one dead.

Lets think of it like this.

Lets assume for a second that M county has 40% population above 40,000 a year.

We know that S county has less than 40% population above 40,000 by the stimulus. We therefore also now that whatever percent of the population that makes greater than 60,000 is also less than 40% (since those who make greater than 60,000 are a subset of those who make greater than 40,000).

Now, if no one in M county made between 40000 and 60000, that would mean 40% of the population made more than 60000. (since 40% made more that 40000, and no one made between 40000 and 60000.

Since we know that that percent of people in S county who made more than 60000 is necessarily less than 40%, we arrive at the conclusion that
M is higher than S in terms of percentage making greater than 60000. This contradicts the second premise. Hence B must be true.

Some people must make between 40000 and 60000 in M, so that S (who lacks the biggest percentage in the 40000+ range, can gain the highest percentage in the 60000+ range.

Let me know if that makes sense!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Send PM
I chose D. The OG says the answer is C and states that it can be inferred.

The reason I chose D was that the stem clearly states that the number of households with an annual income of more than $40k is higher in MC than in any other county.

D essentially restates the argument that MC has greatest number of households with with an annual income of more than $40k. I took this to mean that SC was considered to be "any of the other counties" and therefore could NOT have more people with an larger annual income above $40k.

Where did I go wrong???
e-GMAT Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 30775 [7]
Given Kudos: 632
GMAT Date: 08-19-2020
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
buymovieposters wrote:
I chose D. The OG says the answer is C and states that it can be inferred.

The reason I chose D was that the stem clearly states that the number of households with an annual income of more than $40k is higher in MC than in any other county.

D essentially restates the argument that MC has greatest number of households with with an annual income of more than $40k. I took this to mean that SC was considered to be "any of the other counties" and therefore could NOT have more people with an larger annual income above $40k.

Where did I go wrong???

Hi,

Coming straight to your question, you went wrong by confusing absolute numbers with percentages. The passage is talking about percentage of households while Option D is talking about actual number of households. These are nto the same things.

However, don't worry. This confuses so many of test takers. You are nor alone :)

To explain this, let's consider the following numbers:

Merton County

Population of MC: 100
Number of people with income above $40K: 60
Percentage of people with income above $40K: 60%

Number of people with income above $60K: 20
Percentage of people with income above $40K: 20%

Sommer County
Population of SC: 1000
Number of people with income above $40K: 400
Percentage of people with income above $40K: 40%

Number of people with income above $60K: 300
Percentage of people with income above $40K: 30%

Now, if you see all the statements in the passage holds; however, option D doesn't hold since MC has 60 people above 40K while SC has 400 people above 40K.

Hope this helps :)

Let me know if you have any further queries.

-Chiranjeev
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 5095 [4]
Given Kudos: 289
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
The percentage of households with an annual income of more than $40,000 is higher in Merton county than in any other county. However, the percentage of households with an annual income of $60,000 or more is highest in Sommer county. If the statements above are true, which of the following can properly be concluded on the basis of them?

A. No household in Merton county has an annual income of $60,000 or more.
B. Some households in Merton county have an annual income between $40,000 and $60,000.
C. The number of households with an annual income of more than $40,000 is greater in Merton than in Sommer county.
D. Average annual household income is higher in Sommer than in Merton county.
E. The percentage of households with an annual income of $80,000 is higher in Sommer than in Merton county.

Hi, I added this as previous posts don't have OA.
Can anyone explain why A is wrong, please.
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 28569 [11]
Given Kudos: 130
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
goodyear2013 wrote:
The percentage of households with an annual income of more than $40,000 is higher in Merton county than in any other county. However, the percentage of households with an annual income of $60,000 or more is highest in Sommer county. If the statements above are true, which of the following can properly be concluded on the basis of them?

A. No household in Merton county has an annual income of $60,000 or more.
B. Some households in Merton county have an annual income between $40,000 and $60,000.
C. The number of households with an annual income of more than $40,000 is greater in Merton than in Sommer county.
D. Average annual household income is higher in Sommer than in Merton county.
E. The percentage of households with an annual income of $80,000 is higher in Sommer than in Merton county.

Hi, I added this as previous posts don't have OA.
Can anyone explain why A is wrong, please.

Dear goodyear2013,
I'm happy to help. :-)

Variants of this question are jumbled all over GC --- different orders and different combinations for the answer choices. FYI, in this configuration, (B) is the OA, not (C). Choice (C) makes the classic numbers/percentage confusion, a tried and true trap.

Why is (A) wrong? The short answer is: it's too extreme. When you are drawing a conclusion or inference on the GMAT CR, any choice with "always", "never", "no", "none", "every", etc. are usually not going to work. Any answer making any kind of absolute statement typically does not work.

Think about it. The prompt says: "the percentage of households with an annual income of $60,000 or more is highest in Sommer county." What could this mean? Well, it could mean:
Sommer county: 10% of households have income > $60K
Merton county: 5% of households have income > $60K
This would be 100% consistent with the information in the prompt. If 5% of the households in Merton county have incomes over $60,000, then that's obvious more than zero. Choice (A) makes the fallacy that if P > Q, then it must be true that Q is zero. That's far too much of a leap, given only that P > Q.

Does this make sense?
Mike :-)
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 11 [0]
Given Kudos: 10
Send PM
B is the correct answer! I met it in the OG 13th and Im sure that the correct one is B, NOT C
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Given Kudos: 35
Send PM
nhanqtvn wrote:
B is the correct answer! I met it in the OG 13th and Im sure that the correct one is B, NOT C

everyone is saying the answer is B but when i marked B as my answer the system gave C as the right one.
Can anyone check on this
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 28569 [0]
Given Kudos: 130
Expert Reply
tyagigar wrote:
nhanqtvn wrote:

everyone is saying the answer is B but when i marked B as my answer the system gave C as the right one.
Can anyone check on this

Dear tyagigar,
I just changed the OA in the top entry to (B). I had said that in my post, the second on the page, but this brings everything on the page into consistency.

My friend, don't naively assume that questions on all GMAT Club are entered flawlessly with no absolutely errors. Anyone, ANYONE, can submit a question here. "Anyone" is an awfully big category --- someone who barely knows English, someone who has been awake for 30 hours, someone who is drunk, etc. Many people are quite careful, but some people entering questions make all kinds of mistakes --- spelling mistakes, missing sentences, missing diagrams, and yes, entering the wrong letter as the OA. Don't naively assume that the way it was entered by the first person is perfect. If everyone on the page, including experts, agrees that the answer is something else, that's a very good sign that the system, based on how the first person entered it, is not to be trusted.

Does all this make sense?
Mike :-)
Board of Directors
Own Kudos [?]: 5425 [3]
Given Kudos: 346
Send PM
Kudos