Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 01 Sep 2014, 21:15

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

This oughta sort out the CR boys from the men (I have the OA

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
CEO
CEO
Followers: 55

Kudos [?]: 432 [0], given: 210

GMAT Tests User
This oughta sort out the CR boys from the men (I have the OA [#permalink] New post 19 Apr 2008, 21:31
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

0% (00:00) correct 0% (00:00) wrong based on 0 sessions
This oughta sort out the CR boys from the men :twisted: (I have the OA and OE handy but I wanna see other clubbers opinions first).

The shoe factory in Centerville is the town's largest firm, and it employs more unskilled workers on a full-time basis than all of those other businesses in town combined. Therefore, if the shoe factory closes down and ceases all operations, more than half of Centerville's residents who are unskilled workers with full-time jobs in Centerville will lose their jobs.

The conclusion above logically follows from the premises if which one of the following is assumed ?

A) More people who now are residents of Centerville are employed than are unemployed.

B) Centerville has more unskilled workers among its population than it has skilled workers.

C) The shoe factory in Centerville employs more unskilled workers than skilled workers.

D) The shoe factory in Centerville employs no one who is not a resident of Centerville.

E) There are no factories in Centerville other than the shoe factory.
Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
CEO
CEO
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Other
Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2011
GMAT 1: 750 Q50 V40
Followers: 358

Kudos [?]: 1759 [1] , given: 358

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User Premium Member
Re: CR - shoe factory [#permalink] New post 19 Apr 2008, 21:48
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
D

We have to tie two groups: "The shoe factory employs more unskilled workers than all of those other businesses in town combined." and "more than half of Centerville's residents who are unskilled workers will lose their jobs."

The assumption: All unskilled employee of the shoe factory are residents of Centerville.

D) The shoe factory in Centerville employs no one who is not a resident of Centerville.

HOT! GMAT TOOLKIT 2 (iOS) / GMAT TOOLKIT (Android) - The OFFICIAL GMAT CLUB PREP APP, a must-have app especially if you aim at 700+ | PrepGame

VP
VP
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 100 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR - shoe factory [#permalink] New post 20 Apr 2008, 08:00
bsd_lover wrote:
This oughta sort out the CR boys from the men :twisted: (I have the OA and OE handy but I wanna see other clubbers opinions first).

The shoe factory in Centerville is the town's largest firm, and it employs more unskilled workers on a full-time basis than all of those other businesses in town combined. Therefore, if the shoe factory closes down and ceases all operations, more than half of Centerville's residents who are unskilled workers with full-time jobs in Centerville will lose their jobs.

The conclusion above logically follows from the premises if which one of the following is assumed ?

A) More people who now are residents of Centerville are employed than are unemployed.

B) Centerville has more unskilled workers among its population than it has skilled workers.

C) The shoe factory in Centerville employs more unskilled workers than skilled workers.

E) There are no factories in Centerville other than the shoe factory.

D is the only one that works.

The argument is:
Premise: Shoe factory employs more full time unskilled workers than all of Centerville business combined.
Conclusion: If shoe factory go out of business, more than half of full time unskilled workers will lose their job.

Say if D is false, then the shoe factory laid off the non-resident of Centerville, making other cities unskilled workers lose their full-time jobs, not Centerville. D needs to be true for the logic to be true.

A. Irrelevant
B, C. The argument never mention skilled workers.We are only looking at "unkilled" category, and hence, cannot refer anything about "skilled" workers.
D. Even if this is true, it doesn't affect the distribution of the unskilled workers.
CEO
CEO
Followers: 55

Kudos [?]: 432 [0], given: 210

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR - shoe factory [#permalink] New post 20 Apr 2008, 14:07
Outstanding stuff guys +1 for both of you. OA - D
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 26 [0], given: 4

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR - shoe factory [#permalink] New post 22 Apr 2008, 12:26
Although I am late in reply but again D for me as well.
Re: CR - shoe factory   [#permalink] 22 Apr 2008, 12:26