Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 23 Jul 2014, 10:31

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

(This passage was written in 1978.) Recent years have

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Director
Director
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 19 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
(This passage was written in 1978.) Recent years have [#permalink] New post 31 Oct 2005, 14:26
(This passage was written in 1978.)
Recent years have brought minority-owned businesses in the United States unprecedented opportunities—as well as new and significant risks. Civil rights activists have long argued that one of the principal reasons why Blacks, Hispanics, and other minority groups have difficulty establishing themselves in business is that they lack access to the sizable orders and subcontracts that are generated by large companies. Now Congress, in apparent agreement, has required by law that businesses awarded federal contracts of more than $500,000 do their best to find minority subcontractors and record their efforts to do so on forms filed with the government. Indeed, some federal and local agencies have gone so far as to set specific percentage goals for apportioning parts of public works contracts to minority enterprises.
Corporate response appears to have been substantial. According to figures collected in 1977, the total of corporate contracts with minority businesses rose from $77 million in 1972 to $1.1 billion in 1977. The projected total of corporate contracts with minority businesses for the early 1980’s is estimated to be over 53 billion per year with no letup anticipated in the next decade. Promising as it is for minority businesses, this increased patronage poses dangers for them, too. First, minority firms risk expanding too fast and overextending themselves financially, since most are small concerns and, unlike large businesses, they often need to make substantial investments in new plants, staff, equipment, and the like in order to perform work subcontracted to them. If, thereafter, their subcontracts are for some reason reduced, such firms can face potentially crippling fixed expenses. The world of corporate purchasing can be frustrating for small entrepreneurs who get requests for elaborate formal estimates and bids. Both consume valuable time and resources, and a small company’s efforts must soon result in orders, or both the morale and the financial health of the business will suffer.
A second risk is that White-owned companies may seek to cash in on the increasing apportionments through formation of joint ventures with minority-owned concerns. Of course, in many instances there are legitimate reasons for joint ventures; clearly, White and minority enterprises can team up to acquire business that neither could acquire alone. But civil rights groups and minority business owners have complained to Congress about minorities being set up as “frontsâ€
VP
VP
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 23 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 31 Oct 2005, 15:12
Here is my responses. Must admit I took more than 10 mins for this.

1. E.
Main purpose

B is close
describe a situation and its potential drawbacks

I didnt chose it as all author is talking about it "risks" NOT "drawbacks"
Others can be eliminated easily.

2. E
Specific question based on passage

small businesses might be overextended because they will have to buy alot of fixed assets. (para 2)

Others are not supported in passage.
B. passage just say they need to inform "on some forms"..does not say to WHICH govt agency.
D. passage says business grew from 77m to 1.1. but doe not say anything about how much "number of businesses" grew

3. C
Specific Question on passage

1st para supports ans choice C. (reqorded though)

4. A
Specific Question on passage

5. C
Inference question
Last para

6. B
Inference Question
Para 1

Indeed, some federal and local agencies have gone so far as to set specific percentage goals

7. B
Inference Question

If minority businesses were already close to 1b in 1970, there is no substantial improvement.

8. C
Author Agreement

tough one. I could not find any sutaible ans for this
Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 19 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 01 Nov 2005, 09:50
No many people around....

The answers are: B, E, C, A, C, B, E, C
Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 10 Nov 2005, 21:11
duttsit,
I tried the this passage ..

B E C B C B B C

.got 6 right out of 8

duttsit wrote:
Here is my responses. Must admit I took more than 10 mins for this.

but..it took me around 25 minutes to do this ...i know i need to really improve on RC Speed

Can you pls give some tips to increase the RC . what is the approach you took to finish this in ten minutes

.....Also can any one tell me what should be the best way to improve the Reading speed.
  [#permalink] 10 Nov 2005, 21:11