Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 25 Oct 2014, 14:35

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

This picture of Beethoven was sketched by a close friend of

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Verbal Forum Moderator
Verbal Forum Moderator
Concentration: International Business, Marketing
Schools: Ross '17, Duke '16
GMAT Date: 06-06-2014
GPA: 3.07
Followers: 44

Kudos [?]: 241 [0], given: 43

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: SC-Pronoun Error [#permalink] New post 08 Dec 2011, 11:35
esledge wrote:
Scrat wrote:
I go for E too but you should probably also look at "by memory" vs "from memory" as well. 'by memory" is not correct here so A and D are out. C completely changes the meaning of the sentence. for B, "from memory" position in the sentence is amiguous so E is the only one that makes sense.

This picture of Beethoven was sketched by a close friend of his by memory a few weeks after his death.
A. was sketched by a close friend of his by memory a few weeks after his death
B. was sketched by his close friend from memory a few weeks after his death
C. on his death bed, was sketched by a close friend of his from memory a few weeks later
D. was sketched by a close friend a few weeks after his death by memory
E. was sketched from memory a few weeks after his death by a close friend of his

I agree that by memory/from memory is useful. However, I disagree that "from memory" placement is ambiguous in B. A prepositional phrase can be either a noun modifier or adverbial modifier:

(1) Adverbial modifiers don't have to touch the modified verb/whatever. So if we mean "sketched by memory," then "sketched by his close friend from memory" is acceptable, especially since "by his close friend" also modifies "sketched," so it's understandable that the modifiers can't both touch "sketched."

(2) If "from memory" is interpreted as a noun modifier, then it must modify "friend." But this is far less reasonable than the interpretation in (1) above. And in any case, (E) has a similar issue: "death by a close friend" is a more common turn of phrase than "friend from memory," and is a more concerning ambiguity (logically). Also, (E) has greater distance between its troublesome modifier and "sketched" than (B) does!

In summary: I'm willing to concede that E may be OK, but I do not agree that B is wrong. In my view, B is somewhat preferable to E. I think we must conclude that this question has two acceptable answers and is therefore flawed.

Very nice explanation. I also confused between B and E. Based on your points, I was really convinced B is the correct one. Thanks.

Rules for posting in verbal gmat forum, read it before posting anything in verbal forum
Giving me + 1 kudos if my post is valuable with you :)

The more you like my post, the more you share to other's need

CR: Focus of the Week: Must be True Question

Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
Manager
Manager
Schools: NUS
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 31

GMAT ToolKit User CAT Tests
Re: This picture of Beethoven was sketched by a close friend of [#permalink] New post 09 Dec 2011, 07:57
+1for E.... after some very good explanations
Expert Post
Retired Moderator
Status: worked for Kaplan's associates, but now on my own, free and flying
WE: Education (Education)
Followers: 267

Kudos [?]: 1705 [0], given: 249

Premium Member
Re: This picture of Beethoven was sketched by a close friend of [#permalink] New post 05 Jun 2012, 08:48
Expert's post
E can just not be correct, considering the distortion of meaning it lends itself to.

E. was sketched from memory a few weeks after his death by a close friend of his

E erroneously points out the possibility that Beethoven’s death itself occurred by a close friend of his. How funny!

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

2 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
GC Meter: A.W.E.S.O.M.E
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, General Management
GMAT 1: 620 Q46 V30
GMAT 2: 720 Q50 V38
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 30 [2] , given: 239

Reviews Badge
Re: This picture of Beethoven was sketched by a close friend of [#permalink] New post 05 Jun 2012, 09:48
This post received
KUDOS
Woah.. after reading.. the replies.. i am terribly confused. I Went with B though1

You haven't failed, if you haven't given up!
---
bschooladmit
Visit my Blog www.bschooladmit.wordpress.com

Check out my other posts:
Bschool Deadlines 2013-2014 | Bschool Admission Events 2013 Start your GMAT Prep with Stacey Koprince | Get a head start in MBA finance

Expert Post
Verbal Forum Moderator
Verbal Forum Moderator
Concentration: Statistics, International Business
Schools: Fuqua, ISB '15
GMAT Date: 12-02-2013
GPA: 3.32
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
Followers: 46

Kudos [?]: 168 [0], given: 39

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge CAT Tests
Re: This picture of Beethoven was sketched by a close friend of [#permalink] New post 20 Sep 2013, 09:36
Expert's post
Bumping for review and further discussion*.

*New project from GMAT Club!!! Check HERE

Regards,

S

Consider +1 KUDOS if you find this post useful

Re: This picture of Beethoven was sketched by a close friend of   [#permalink] 20 Sep 2013, 09:36