Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 19 Sep 2014, 10:10

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

This picture of Beethoven was sketched by a close friend of

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 16 [0], given: 2

GMAT Tests User
This picture of Beethoven was sketched by a close friend of [#permalink] New post 15 Mar 2010, 13:24
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

65% (hard)

Question Stats:

39% (01:58) correct 61% (00:55) wrong based on 153 sessions
This picture of Beethoven was sketched by a close friend of his by memory a few weeks after his death.

A. was sketched by a close friend of his by memory a few weeks after his death
B. was sketched by his close friend from memory a few weeks after his death
C. on his death bed, was sketched by a close friend of his from memory a few weeks later
D. was sketched by a close friend a few weeks after his death by memory
E. was sketched from memory a few weeks after his death by a close friend of his
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

Last edited by lionslion on 15 Mar 2010, 19:24, edited 1 time in total.
3 KUDOS received
Manhattan GMAT Instructor
Schools: Cornell (Bach. of Sci.), UCLA Anderson (MBA)
Followers: 129

Kudos [?]: 209 [3] , given: 6

Re: SC-Pronoun Error [#permalink] New post 15 Mar 2010, 13:47
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
"a close friend of his" feels a little casual to me (esp. for the GMAT) compared to "his close friend," and of course it's wordier. Strike against ACE.

(C) totally changes the meaning. Was the picture of "Beethoven on his death bed" or of Beethoven, just living his life? The GMAT would never expect you to make that judgement call (without seeing the picture--ha ha :shock: ). But (C) also has a punctuation error: the comma before the verb.

"sketched" has several modifiers: "by a close friend" and "by/from memory" and "a few weeks after..." The modifiers can't all touch "sketched," but they shouldn't be so far away that the placement creates ambiguity. In (E), "by a close friend" following "death" could be misinterpreted (he died next to his friend? or worse, at the hand of his friend?). In (D), "by memory" following "death" could be misinterpreted (he died of memory problems?).

There's an idiom here, too:
I painted the scene from memory. (Correct.)
I painted the scene by memory. (Incorrect.)
Even if this idiom is arguable, it gives another strike against (A).

So, (B) is the only answer with no problems.

Emily Sledge | Manhattan GMAT Instructor | St. Louis

Manhattan GMAT Discount | Manhattan GMAT Course Reviews | Manhattan GMAT Reviews

Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: SC-Pronoun Error [#permalink] New post 15 Mar 2010, 18:47
lionslion wrote:
This picture of Beethoven was sketched by a close friend of his by memory a few weeks after his death.
C. on his death bed, was sketched by a close friend of his from memory a few weeks later
E. was sketched from memory a few weeks after his death by a close friend of his

Please give explanation to your answers.

IMO E.

E is the only option where "his" refers to Beethoven.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Schools: LBS, INSEAD, IMD, ISB - Anything with just 1 yr program.
Followers: 14

Kudos [?]: 99 [0], given: 22

GMAT Tests User
Re: SC-Pronoun Error [#permalink] New post 15 Mar 2010, 19:20
lionslion wrote:

This is a good question that tests the readability of the test-taker. esledge gave a good answer I believe, I too drew the same answer using my technique yet, this question posed a good challenge.

This picture of Beethoven | was sketched by his close friend | from memory | a few weeks after his death.

If it is read wrongly - makes it sound awkward and good for elimination.

This picture of Beethoven | was sketched | by his close friend from memory | a few weeks after his death.

However, the perfect answer would have been -

This picture of Beethoven | was sketched [|] from memory [|] by his close friend | a few weeks after his death.

Despite the pauses in reading the sentence, or not, the meaning is not distorted. And GMAT asks us only the appropriate answer option among the given choices, not the perfect answer to a given question.

I am AWESOME and it's gonna be LEGENDARY!!!

Kudos [?]: 209 [0], given: 6

Re: SC-Pronoun Error [#permalink] New post 16 Mar 2010, 11:43
sanap wrote:
IMO E.

E is the only option where "his" refers to Beethoven.

sanap and swethar, can you further explain why you think "his" only refers to Beethoven in (E)? Is it because "his death" most closely follows the friend, not Beethoven, in ABD?

I'll point out that there are two "his"s in ABE. The first "his" in A and B cannot refer to the friend (based on the way it is used in relation to "friend," only to Beethoven. Two "his" in the same sentence must have the same antecedent, so we are correct to interpret "his death" as Beethoven's death.

Manhattan GMAT Discount | Manhattan GMAT Course Reviews | Manhattan GMAT Reviews

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 26 [0], given: 35

GMAT Tests User
Re: SC-Pronoun Error [#permalink] New post 16 Mar 2010, 12:13
A. was sketched by a close friend of his by memory a few weeks after his death =
B. was sketched by his close friend from memory a few weeks after his death = keep it
C. on his death bed, was sketched by a close friend of his from memory a few weeks later = ignore.
D. was sketched by a close friend a few weeks after his death by memory = here "his" refers to close friend
E. was sketched from memory a few weeks after his death by a close friend of his = correct one.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 26 [0], given: 35

GMAT Tests User
Re: SC-Pronoun Error [#permalink] New post 16 Mar 2010, 12:17
Tx esledge..I get it..kept "B" but went with "E"..
reading your explanation points at my mistake with E...

lord K**K me...
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Schools: Insead

Kudos [?]: 10 [1] , given: 15

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: SC-Pronoun Error [#permalink] New post 16 Mar 2010, 19:03
This post received
KUDOS
I go for E too but you should probably also look at "by memory" vs "from memory" as well. 'by memory" is not correct here so A and D are out. C completely changes the meaning of the sentence. for B, "from memory" position in the sentence is amiguous so E is the only one that makes sense.

1 KUDOS received

Kudos [?]: 209 [1] , given: 6

Re: SC-Pronoun Error [#permalink] New post 18 Mar 2010, 11:55
This post received
KUDOS
Scrat wrote:
I go for E too but you should probably also look at "by memory" vs "from memory" as well. 'by memory" is not correct here so A and D are out. C completely changes the meaning of the sentence. for B, "from memory" position in the sentence is amiguous so E is the only one that makes sense.

I agree that by memory/from memory is useful. However, I disagree that "from memory" placement is ambiguous in B. A prepositional phrase can be either a noun modifier or adverbial modifier:

(1) Adverbial modifiers don't have to touch the modified verb/whatever. So if we mean "sketched by memory," then "sketched by his close friend from memory" is acceptable, especially since "by his close friend" also modifies "sketched," so it's understandable that the modifiers can't both touch "sketched."

(2) If "from memory" is interpreted as a noun modifier, then it must modify "friend." But this is far less reasonable than the interpretation in (1) above. And in any case, (E) has a similar issue: "death by a close friend" is a more common turn of phrase than "friend from memory," and is a more concerning ambiguity (logically). Also, (E) has greater distance between its troublesome modifier and "sketched" than (B) does!

In summary: I'm willing to concede that E may be OK, but I do not agree that B is wrong. In my view, B is somewhat preferable to E. I think we must conclude that this question has two acceptable answers and is therefore flawed.

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 16 [0], given: 2

GMAT Tests User
Re: SC-Pronoun Error [#permalink] New post 18 Mar 2010, 12:50
esledge wrote:
Scrat wrote:

I agree that by memory/from memory is useful. However, I disagree that "from memory" placement is ambiguous in B. A prepositional phrase can be either a noun modifier or adverbial modifier:

(1) Adverbial modifiers don't have to touch the modified verb/whatever. So if we mean "sketched by memory," then "sketched by his close friend from memory" is acceptable, especially since "by his close friend" also modifies "sketched," so it's understandable that the modifiers can't both touch "sketched."

(2) If "from memory" is interpreted as a noun modifier, then it must modify "friend." But this is far less reasonable than the interpretation in (1) above. And in any case, (E) has a similar issue: "death by a close friend" is a more common turn of phrase than "friend from memory," and is a more concerning ambiguity (logically). Also, (E) has greater distance between its troublesome modifier and "sketched" than (B) does!

In summary: I'm willing to concede that E may be OK, but I do not agree that B is wrong. In my view, B is somewhat preferable to E. I think we must conclude that this question has two acceptable answers and is therefore flawed.

Hi I agree to what you are saying. But, does the second pronoun "his" has the clear antecedent in choice B. Who does the his refer to ... as we introduced friend after mentioning first "his" . could you please clarify on that.
Intern
Intern
Schools: Cornell, CBS, NYU

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 2

GMAT Tests User
Re: SC-Pronoun Error [#permalink] New post 20 Mar 2010, 09:47
I agree with amma4u. Answer E clearly states that the picture of Beethoveen was sketched after beethoven death and not after his friend death.
In B, "after his death" could refer to either Beethoven or his friend = not clear.
1 KUDOS received

Kudos [?]: 209 [1] , given: 6

Re: SC-Pronoun Error [#permalink] New post 20 Mar 2010, 11:43
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
lionslion wrote:
Hi I agree to what you are saying. But, does the second pronoun "his" has the clear antecedent in choice B. Who does the his refer to ... as we introduced friend after mentioning first "his" . could you please clarify on that.

I definitely see what everyone is saying about "his death" referring more clearly to Beethoven's death in (E).

But there are a couple rules that apply:

1. If you use a pronoun multiple times in a sentence, the default understanding is that all have the same antecedent.
The manager sold his car to his employee a few weeks after he was hired.
Even though "his" and "he" are different cases of the male pronoun, the default assumption is that they all refer to the same antecedent: the manager. If the intended meaning were "after the employee was hired," then it would be wrong to use "he." But if the intended meaning is "after the manager was hired," you can either say "he" or "the manager." Is it more clear to say "the manager"? Definitely, yes. But is it wrong to say "he"? I don't think it's wrong enough to be the sole reason for GMAT elimination.

2. Logical meaning plays a role in making a pronoun-antecedent connection. It's obvious the friend could not sketch after the friend's death, so (with #1 also in mind), "his death" is not only allowed to refer to "Beethoven's death," it should refer to "Beethoven's death."

This example isn't exactly the same, but I doubt anyone would complain that "his" is terribly unclear in this sentence:
Larry's bike was stolen by his former friend two weeks after his last bike ride.
If "his" friend is Larry's friend, "his" ride would be Larry's ride too. And logically, if "his last bike ride" were the friend's, wouldn't the trip to steal the bike be the last ride, not two weeks after the last ride? We consider both repetition and logic, as we should on the Beethoven question.

My point: pronouns must have clear antecedents, but there are some uses that are acceptable even though they might fall into a grey area.

On the pronoun issue, sure, E is better than B.
On the modifier issue, B is better than E.
On the GMAT, the wrong answers are usually more wrong than either of these choices!

Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Retired Moderator
Status: worked for Kaplan's associates, but now on my own, free and flying
WE: Education (Education)
Followers: 263

Kudos [?]: 1613 [1] , given: 249

Re: SC-Pronoun Error [#permalink] New post 26 Sep 2011, 20:25
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
Before too long, let me also jump into the fray; IMO, a wrong word order is an important style error in SC , that will override any others since it directly affects the meaning of the entire clause.

Now on B;

Quote:
His close friend from memory sketched B. a few weeks after his death

If ‘his’ is ambiguous here, who else might it refer to? ‘His friend’ probably implying that the friend sketched it after a few weeks after his own death ( probably as a ghost?). How logical is this frightening reference? .

On E;
Was sketched from memory a few weeks after his death by a close friend of his
1. I hve no issues about the phrase 'a friend of his’ modifying Beethoven. However, the wording of ‘by a close friend of his’ immediately after his death is definitely a wrong word order implying that Beethoven’s death was caused by his close friend. This has been more than amply pointed out Esledge.

2. Can we say ‘a close friend of his’? How can we use two possessive markers such as 'of' and 'his' in the same phrase, where 'his' is an adjective? By a close friend of his means by a close friend of Beethoven, where Beethoven is the object of the preposition. Now if you want to replace the object with a pronoun, then you have to use another object case and say ‘by a close friend of him’.

IMO E is too much ridden with questionable flaws to befit a challenge

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 12

GMAT Tests User
Re: SC-Pronoun Error [#permalink] New post 30 Sep 2011, 07:46
lionslion wrote:

[Reveal] Spoiler:
E

Good question
"close friend of his" incorrect; it should be "his close friend"
A - "close friend of his" incorrect
B - Correct
C - "close friend of his" incorrect
D - "death my memory" changes meaning
E - "close friend of his" incorrect

Thanks and Regards,
GM.

Director
Director
Status: My Thread Master Bschool Threads-->Krannert(Purdue),WP Carey(Arizona),Foster(Uwashngton)
Followers: 61

Kudos [?]: 152 [0], given: 57

GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge
Re: SC-Pronoun Error [#permalink] New post 25 Oct 2011, 13:08
oops i got E seems like the whole thread is vouching for E......apart from esledge

But i got your point

General GMAT useful links-->

Indian Bschools Accepting Gmat | My Gmat Daily Diary | All Gmat Practice CAT's | MBA Ranking 2013 | How to Convert Indian GPA/ Percentage to US 4 pt. GPA scale | GMAT MATH BOOK in downloadable PDF format| POWERSCORE CRITICAL REASONING BIBLE - FULL CHAPTER NOTES | Result correlation between GMAT and GMAT Club's Tests | Best GMAT Stories - Period!

More useful links-->

GMAT Prep Software Analysis and What If Scenarios| GMAT and MBA 101|Everything You Need to Prepare for the GMAT|New to the GMAT Club? <START HERE>|GMAT ToolKit: iPhone/iPod/iPad/Android application|

Verbal Treasure Hunt-->

"Ultimate" Study Plan for Verbal on the GMAT|Books to Read (Improve Verbal Score and Enjoy a Good Read)|Best Verbal GMAT Books 2012|Carcass Best EXTERNAL resources to tackle the GMAT Verbal Section|Ultimate GMAT Grammar Book from GC club [Free Download]|Ultimate Sentence Correction Encyclopedia|Souvik's The Most Comprehensive Collection Of Everything Official-SC|ALL SC Rules+Official Qs by Experts & Legendary Club Members|Meaning/Clarity SC Question Bank by Carcass_Souvik|Critical Reasoning Shortcuts and Tips|Critical Reasoning Megathread!|The Most Comprehensive Collection Of Everything Official- CR|GMAT Club's Reading Comprehension Strategy Guide|The Most Comprehensive Collection Of Everything Official- RC|Ultimate Reading Comprehension Encyclopedia|ALL RC Strategy+Official Q by Experts&Legendary Club Members

----
---
--
-

1 KUDOS = 1 THANK

Kick Ass Gmat

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: This picture of Beethoven was sketched by a close friend of [#permalink] New post 25 Oct 2011, 19:59
+1 B here
"E": a death by his friend? Horrible
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: Finance, Real Estate
GPA: 3.65
WE: Project Management (Real Estate)
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 45 [0], given: 56

GMAT Tests User
Re: This picture of Beethoven was sketched by a close friend of [#permalink] New post 25 Oct 2011, 21:23
I picked E...Pronoun antecedent.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 12

GMAT Tests User
Re: SC-Pronoun Error [#permalink] New post 29 Oct 2011, 01:02
lionslion wrote:

[Reveal] Spoiler:
E

E is best answer. Correctly addresses all modifier issues.
1 KUDOS received
Director
Director
Concentration: International Business, General Management
GPA: 3.86
WE: Accounting (Commercial Banking)

Kudos [?]: 45 [1] , given: 16

GMAT Tests User
Re: This picture of Beethoven was sketched by a close friend of [#permalink] New post 29 Oct 2011, 03:55
This post received
KUDOS
B looks the best

Its clear and concise

+1 Kudos If found helpful..

Manager
Manager
Schools: IIM, ISB, & XLRI
WE 1: B.Tech (Information Technology)

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 5

Re: SC-Pronoun Error [#permalink] New post 29 Oct 2011, 06:10
lionslion wrote:

[Reveal] Spoiler:
E

Chose 'B' and ignored 'E'

I found 'B' clear, concise, and meaningful. 'E' has an awkward clause 'by a close friend of his' and seems to modify 'his death'. OA is 'E' and I am more than surprised for that :x

GMAT is an addiction and I am darn addicted

Preparation for final battel:
GMAT PREP-1 750 Q50 V41 - Oct 16 2011
GMAT PREP-2 710 Q50 V36 - Oct 22 2011 ==> Scored 50 in Quant second time in a row :-)
MGMAT---- -1 560 Q28 V39 - Oct 29 2011 ==> Left Quant half done and continued with Verbal. Happy to see Q39 :-)

My ongoing plan: http://gmatclub.com/forum/550-to-630-need-more-to-achieve-my-dream-121613.html#p989311

Appreciate by kudos !!

Re: SC-Pronoun Error   [#permalink] 29 Oct 2011, 06:10