Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 23:54 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 23:54

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 884 [28]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 8554 [7]
Given Kudos: 123
Send PM
General Discussion
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 2467 [0]
Given Kudos: 185
Concentration: Strategy, Finance
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 3156 [0]
Given Kudos: 322
Concentration: General Management, General Management
GMAT 1: 630 Q47 V29
GMAT 2: 680 Q50 V32
GPA: 3.7
WE:Information Technology (Investment Banking)
Send PM
Re: This process resulted in a total of 15 new townships: of which, to dat [#permalink]
PraPon wrote:
In original sentence "of which" is intended to refer to "15 new townships". However the colon is separating two complete sentences. In this case the prepositional phrase "of which" cannot be preceded by ':' separating two sentences, it must be preceded by noun or noun phrase from the same sentence.

(A) of which, to date, 7 are still in existence.
-- Sentence construction error as explained above.
(B) of which number, 7 of the 15 are still, to date, in existence.
-- Sentence construction error as explained above.
(C) of the number 15, 7, to date, are still in existence.
-- "of the number 15" is redundant.
(D) to date of these 15, 7 are still in existence.
-- "to date of these 15" is incorrect. to date is incorrectly modifying 15.
(E) to date, 7 of the 15 are still in existence.
-- this is the correct choice with the errors mentioned above.

Hence choice(E) is the answer.

How the colon is separating two complete sentences.IMO the clause after colon is not stand alone and according to rules it is not expected to be stand alone.Moreover,the clause after colon IMO is correctly modifying the number "15".

Meaning = 15 of which ,to date ,7 are still in existence .

What is wrong with that????
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 8554 [0]
Given Kudos: 123
Send PM
Re: This process resulted in a total of 15 new townships: of which, to dat [#permalink]
mahendru1992 wrote:
Thanks pqhai, I'll keep this rule in mind :)
But could you tell me why we can't use which after a colon?
P.S I'll be careful about the underlining

Hello Mahendru1992

The colon (:) provides further explanation for what comes before it. For example, you can use a colon to equate a list with its components. It means you can understand the sentence even when it doesn't come with the portion after the colon. For this question, if you ignore the portion after the colon, the intended meaning will be not clear.

Furthermore, we never use a colon (:) before a relative clause that begins with "which", for instance. The only connecting punctuation we can use is the comma. Simply, that's the rule.

Hope it helps.
EMPOWERgmat Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 14673 [1]
Given Kudos: 766
Send PM
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
Hi mahendru1992,

Thank you for your question. This is a tricky one, but the main problem with has to do with redundancy.

The sentence is contrasting two things: how many townships were formed (15) vs. how many still exist (7). Since the sentence starts the comparison by telling you there are 15 townships to begin with, you don't need to repeat that number later on. By repeating the number 15, it can be overly wordy and confusing to readers.

Since all of the answers except A repeat the number 15, which is redundant, A is the correct answer.

Also, to answer concerns about the colon:
The colon is being used in this sentence to show a stark break or contrast. I understand that we don't typically use it after the word "which," but in this case it's more of a stylistic choice to visually show contrast in information. So for now, let's ignore the colon issue, especially because it's not underlined anyway.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Send PM
Minheequang wrote:
This process resulted in a total of 15 new townships: of which, to date, 7 are still in existence.

This is such a trick question from Gmattest. Still not getting the explanation that why A is not correct: "The words of which at the beginning of the clause do not clearly refer to any antecedent" (???). of Which stands right behind 15 new townships, it clearly modifies for 15 new townships and also makes no errors in meaning, why the OE states that ???

This question requires phrasing that will clearly relate the numbers seven and fifteen to each other, and correctly place the temporal marker to date.

(A) The words of which at the beginning of the clause do not clearly refer to any antecedent.

(B) The words of which at the beginning of the clause do not clearly refer to any antecedent, and the parenthetical expression to date is awkward and unnecessary.

(C) The word number in the first part of the clause is redundant, and the string of parenthetical expressions – 7, to date – makes the clause awkward and unclear.

(D) The phrase to date is misplaced and seems to refer to these 15 rather than any appropriate temporal marker.

(E) Correct. The phrase to date is correctly set off by itself, the phrase 7 of the 15 clearly positions the two numbers relative to each other.

The correct answer is E
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 15 [0]
Given Kudos: 61
Concentration: General Management, Nonprofit
GMAT 1: 700 Q50 V37
GPA: 3.9
Send PM
DLFC7A626 wrote:
Minheequang wrote:
This process resulted in a total of 15 new townships: of which, to date, 7 are still in existence.

This is such a trick question from Gmattest. Still not getting the explanation that why A is not correct: "The words of which at the beginning of the clause do not clearly refer to any antecedent" (???). of Which stands right behind 15 new townships, it clearly modifies for 15 new townships and also makes no errors in meaning, why the OE states that ???

This question requires phrasing that will clearly relate the numbers seven and fifteen to each other, and correctly place the temporal marker to date.

(A) The words of which at the beginning of the clause do not clearly refer to any antecedent.

(B) The words of which at the beginning of the clause do not clearly refer to any antecedent, and the parenthetical expression to date is awkward and unnecessary.

(C) The word number in the first part of the clause is redundant, and the string of parenthetical expressions – 7, to date – makes the clause awkward and unclear.

(D) The phrase to date is misplaced and seems to refer to these 15 rather than any appropriate temporal marker.

(E) Correct. The phrase to date is correctly set off by itself, the phrase 7 of the 15 clearly positions the two numbers relative to each other.

The correct answer is E

great explanation thank you but I have one question how would you manage time during the exam to do this analysis?
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 848 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6920 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts